It's time for ALL BULLDOGS FANS say enough is enough?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t ask that question and neither was I told about a coaching replacement name. Just know Pay is in hot water, his days are numbered. I would be very surprised if he’s our head coach next season.
Mate he should not be our coach for the remainder of this season.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But surely if they see Dean stressing out the players and not picking the best players for the team that they've given him, why aren't they "assisting" him to provide a better outcome for everyone including the fans...this rubbish is doing everyone's head in and meanwhile the club's reputation goes further down the drain.

I'd prefer they step in asap but thanks for the info...gives us some heart that the club won't be "fully" ripped apart.
Well said wendog. The board seem to be feeding the problem.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We'll said wendog. The board seem to be feeding the problem.
They're all a bunch of Bulldogs tragics themselves and I guess we have to trust that they have the club's best interests at heart and see this as the best way forward.

Would prefer them to be more clinical and decisive but they know more details and we trust they are looking at the big picture.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They're all a bunch of Bulldogs tragics themselves and I guess we have to trust that they have the club's best interests at heart and see this as the best way forward.

Would prefer them to be more clinical and decisive but they know more details and we trust they are looking at the big picture.
I agree. They absolutely have the best interest of our club at heart.
They will work themselves out of this. They've done some great things.
Look, I went a little cold on them over the last few weeks after supporting them strongly for the first 16 months from their appointment.
But I've had a little chat with one of the board members as I was saying before and I can really see the big picture.
Some of the things that was explained to me really made sense, AND NO I wasn't fed bullshit as I'm old enough and wise enough to know when I've been fed bullshit.
They may have made some errors as all humans do, but people got to understand when board room decisions are made they vote on it and not all board members agree, sometimes a vote on a decision may go 4-3.
I don't go fishing for information and ask for names of players we are chasing as I respect the board members integrity and that is not what a friendship is based on.

This is what was important:

1. The Pay extention wasn't agreed on by all board members, but the ones who said no were out voted. It was designed to take the heat off the playing group. If worse comes to worse they can easily flick Pay off, he's on peanuts, and I mean Peanuts!!
This strategy seems to have backfired because they didn't expect the playing group to perform this badly, they are dissapointed with the trust they gave him. Even Chris Anderson is scratching his head on some of Pays team selections and player positions. The big one I hear is dropping CHN.

2. Board members cannot and will not interfere in the day to day operations of the football team. That's what the admin and management team are there for.

3. They have fast forwarded our salary cap issues by 12 months. We can buy players sooner rather than later. They are on the hunt to get good bargain buys like DWZ where the other club are paying part of their contract. And they are looking for more.
This is in reverse to what we did with Graham, Woods etc....the pendulum is swinging the other way now.

4. Junior development is in full force - When a player leaves our club they want to make sure we have someone with talent coming through ready to fill that spot, mix that in with a few senior players and a couple of marquees and you have a really strong outfit.

5. This one is a big one for anyone reading this - They do not give a shit if they get voted out, their main concern is putting the club back on track with great junior development and a balanced salary cap with a big purse string to buy gun players to be a force again. In other words, they'll gladly take the hit to make the club great again. To me that's BIG, that's what you call having love for the club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Look, I went a little cold on them over the last few weeks after supporting them strongly for the first 16 months from their appointment.
But I've had a little chat with one of the board members as I was saying before and I can really see the big picture.
Some of the things that was explained to me really made sense, AND NO I wasn't fed bullshit as I'm old enough and wise enough to know when I've been fed bullshit.
They may have made some errors as all humans do, but people got to understand when board room decisions are made they vote on it and not all board members agree, sometimes a vote on a decision may go 4-3.
I don't go fishing for information and ask for names of players we are chasing as I respect the board members integrity and that is not what a friendship is based on.

1. The Pay extention wasn't agreed on by all board members, but the ones who said no were out voted. It was designed to take the heat off the playing group. If worse comes to worse they can easily flick Pay off, he's on peanuts, and I mean Peanuts!!
This strategy seems to have backfired because they didn't expect the playing group to perform this badly, they are dissapointed with the trust they gave him. Even Chris Anderson is scratching his head on some of Pays team selections and player positions. The big one I hear is dropping CHN.

2. Board members cannot and will not interfere in the day to day operations of the football team. That's what the admin and management team are there for.

3. They have fast forwarded our salary cap issues by 12 months. We can buy players sooner rather than later. They are on the hunt to get good bargain buys like DWZ where the other club are paying part of their contract. And they are looking for more.
This is in reverse to what we did with Graham, Woods etc....the pendulum is swinging the other way now.

4. Junior development is in full force - When a player leaves our club they want to make sure we have someone with talent coming through ready to fill that spot, mix that in with a few senior players and a couple of marquees and you have a really strong outfit.

5. This one is a big one for anyone reading this - They do not give a shit if they get voted out, their main concern is putting the club back on track with great junior development and a balanced salary cap with a big purse string to buy gun players to be a force again. In other words, they'll gladly take the hit to make the club great again. To me that's BIG, that's what you call having love for the club.
Point 5 is very important and certainly opposite to the Dibsters born to rule mentality.

Thanks for sharing. When you hear both sides of an issue, it helps to understand that they can't come out with public statements.

We will have to keep the faith.

(Psst but someone in HQ needs to sit Dean down and give him a few hard, cold facts about his coaching performance).

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Seeds are being planted this year for our dominance in the 2020s. Some people are so narrow minded.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seeds are being planted this year for our dominance in the 2020s. Some people are so narrow minded.
I Agree totally.
If our team becomes a major force in the 2020s there could be no other explaination other than what the board and current administration have planted today.
As always, time will tell

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Hmm. Be interesting if we could grab Ash Taylor from the Titans on the cheap using Lynn Andersons connection. Given he looks out of favour and dealing with personal issues. Then we just need to find a hooker.

I think Ash Taylor has all the potential in the world. Just needs the right environment which I think he isn't getting at the Titans.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Turbo, were you at the game? Do you still think the same after they delivered that rubbish yesterday? Did you see the players bust their gut like you say? Serious question, do you think Pay AND the coaching staff should remain til the end of the year?
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I spoke to a few players after the game and they were spent, they left everything that had on the field. Couldn't knock their effort.

The execution was horrible, far too many errors, many at crucial times in the game. Losing Cogger was a killer, some on here knock him but he's the link and when he's wasn't there shit happened. Unfortunately StG have a couple of the better halves in the comp so they were fully able to exploit Cogger's absence.

Foran couldn't play in 2 positions and Martin did his best, but it's a big FU to those on here clammering for 4 forwards on the bench. Would we have won the game with a utility on the bench, unlikely, but it would have been much better than it was.

Serious answer, for sure some of the blame lies with the coaching staff, but not anywhere near all of it. To win a game, any game, we need everyone on the team playing at their best, with minimal mistakes. We don't have the luxury of a game breaker, a big gun, a strike player who can carry a team on their back to a win. We win via a full team effort, anything less than that is going to be a loss. That's why the game plan is simple, basic stuff, that they work on time after time at training, and even then they can't exploit it in the game.

We all know what we need, the positions we need to fill, some with strike players and some with quality first graders, which is a work in progress. Allocating far too much of the blame to the current coaching staff is pointless.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If that is the mentality of the board then sack the fkn lot of them. What a disgraceful approach to have when things can't get any worse. So they would rather stick by Pay and continue the embarrassment than save the club? That'll do me.
How many times do some people have to be told, they can't pull a rabbit out of their hat, there is a cap position that severely limits what they can do this year and to a lesser extent next year. Sure they can release players (they did that), sure they can sign players within this year's cap limitations (they did that) sure they can sign decent (not gun) players for next year (they did that too). The fact is there is no silver bullet out of the current situation, it's going to take steady measured steps, many of them, one by one. If you can't see the current status and the movements then you're either blind or simply don't want to see.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Different tolerances for different players
Without being specific, there is code of conduct which is enforced mostly by the leadership group, flaunt it and there are disciplinary actions, flaunt it more than once and they get harsh.
Players have targets to achieve in pre season and maintain during the season, weight and fitness levels being a couple of them. That's also a discipline (not just turning up to training on time) that they have to abide by.

Go Dogs

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing man ! Gives some hope.
Geez It would be nice to snag another player pre June who’s club is part paying their salary. Ash Taylor, Dane Gagia come to mind ...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I Agree totally.
If our team becomes a major force in the 2020s there could be no other explaination other than what the board and current administration have planted today.
As always, time will tell
is there a performance clause in Pays contract extension ??

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
is there a performance clause in Pays contract extension ??
He would have KPI's that he needs to meet. That said, as others have pointed out, he is NOT on big money. So paying him out if it's not working isn't the biggest problem. The problem is ensuring that whatever coach you decide to get, that you get the right one that complements the team and roster we have. No rush for that until you have done your due diligence, and given Pay every opportunity to meet the expectations in his KPI's.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Without being specific, there is code of conduct which is enforced mostly by the leadership group, flaunt it and there are disciplinary actions, flaunt it more than once and they get harsh.
Players have targets to achieve in pre season and maintain during the season, weight and fitness levels being a couple of them. That's also a discipline (not just turning up to training on time) that they have to abide by.

Go Dogs
I’m well aware that there’s more to it then just on field performance but there are players that just haven’t been performing and deserve to be dropped and aren’t. Maybe being part of the leadership group is saving their skin?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info mate. Thinking about Pays situation I think the biggest thing keeping him here at the minute is the board making such a big deal about how disrespectful the last board was to Des. It’s going to look highly hypocritical if they punt him mid season and they know the media will have a field day with it. I think it’s going to get to the point soon where their hand is forced.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He would have KPI's that he needs to meet. That said, as others have pointed out, he is NOT on big money. So paying him out if it's not working isn't the biggest problem. The problem is ensuring that whatever coach you decide to get, that you get the right one that complements the team and roster we have.
Paying money out unnecessarily is a trait the previous mob had and not one that is well respected in business.. Just because our club is wealthy, does not mean we can or should be frivolous with money, this can create bad habits/culture.

I want to know if there is a performance clause because that would make their decision to renew him, look slightly better and show a bit of forward thinking....