It's a culture problem': Bulldogs breakdown - Where are they going wrong? | NRL 360 | Fox League

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching that I’m starting to the Shane Flanagan/Dean Pay assistant and a no Kyle policy would have done wonders and possibly having us competing for the 8 this year. Gus would still be recruiting in the background

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also to add to this… if you follow Gus on twitter, a lot of his posts give a clue into what’s going on behind the scenes.

He reposted something a few weeks back about leadership. In a nutshell it basically talked about how being a leader is not always fun and you will not always be liked by everyone when tough decisions need to be made.

I believe CC was liked by all the players at the start of the season, but as thing got tougher some are not onboard and he is dealing with making those tough decisions.

Other experienced coaches (e.g Ivan Cleary) can see exactly what is going on and are thinking… yep been there done that.. that is why he mentioned that CC will be fine.. he is learning the step up to head coach. Let’s just hope he is learning quickly :grinning:
Leadership? So you tell your Club Captain to look elsewhere despite having 2 more years left on his contract?
It's a train wreck and fact is you can't build any fucken "culture" when your churning players at the rate we churn.
For the last 2 years we've let go 12 players, then 10 players. At seasons end. RFM and Averillo were our longest serving Bulldogs. Both leaving.
End of this year we are churning at least 9 players.
That's 31 players in 3 years.
And you wanna talk to me about building an identity and a culture?
Well that cuts both ways.
How many players are doing OK now in other teams that used to play with us?
Meaney, R Smith, DWZ, Montoya, CHN ( before injured), JMK, Elliot, Cogger, others haven't kicked on granted, but the churn has been culture destroying.
We are in such an unmitigated mess now roster wise that this will take at least 6 to 8 years to fix. We developed Averillo, now we're letting one of our best finishers leave, over a pay dispute of around $100k.
More pain to come. You Betya.

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Leadership? So you tell your Club Captain to look elsewhere despite having 2 more years left on his contract?
It's a train wreck and fact is you can't build any fucken "culture" when your churning players at the rate we churn.
For the last 2 years we've let go 12 players, then 10 players. At seasons end. RFM and Averillo were our longest serving Bulldogs. Both leaving.
Meaney, R Smith, DWZ, Montoya, CHN ( before injured), JMK, Elliot, Cogger, others haven't kicked on granted, but the churn has been culture destroying.
We are in such an unmitigated mess now roster wise that this will take at least 6 to 8 years to fix. We developed Averillo, now we're letting one of our best finishers leave, over a pay dispute of around $100k.
I am solely referring to this year and in regards to CC.

Like I said, I’m not privy to exactly what is going on behind closed doors, but I get the impression that things have turned sour with RFM, Sutton and perhaps a few others.

Whatever the exact reason is, having a couple of disgruntled players (both it seems from clubs that have never had a successful culture) and that aren’t buying into what’s going on, means that some tough decisions need to be made.

In terms of the Averillo situation… It doesn’t appear he is part of the disgruntled group, and rightly or wrongly has been moved on due to salary cap management decisions.

Last edited:

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To win you at least need two things.
A plan.
And the team that will go through the pain - set standards and execute.

Two weeks ago Assassin posted about some players...RFM was mentioned...dissent...reckon he might have been spot on.
Note that media is saying RFM is free to go.

Weed 'em out is the go - winning culture - get on the bus or leave.

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A plan.

Two weeks ago Assassin posted about some players...RFM was mentioned...dissent...reckon he might have been spot on.

My wife is from Kenya mate, are you living there now?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife is from Kenya mate, are you living there now?
Hey very cool Noosa Dog - thanks for reaching out.
Yes I’ve been here since 2007 - started a Sports NGO in schools - many kids now play Rugby League!

Been all over, now based in Mombasa. Where is she from? How long in Oz?
Have you been here mate?
Tell her ‘Uta baki poa’ from me (stay cool / have fun)

Last edited:

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey very cool Noosa Dog - thanks for reaching out.
Yes I’ve been here since 2007 - started a Sports NGOschools - many kids now play Rugby League!

Been all over, now based in Mombasa. Where is she from? How long in Oz?
Have you been here mate?
Tell her ‘Uta baki poa’ from me (stay cool / have fun)
That’s awesome that you are doing that, I’m sure it’s very rewarding.

She is from a small town called Meru (close to Mt Kenya). We both actually live in the USA at present, but will end up back in Noosa at some point in time.

We are both planning a trip to Kenya next year (my first time) and I can’t wait to check it out :grinning:

Anyways, better not bore everyone else here with our back and forth, but nice to meet you and UP THE DOGGIES!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah dawg and it keeps the re set button constantly on. Can’t gel.
Some these players were ok.
Other players won’t want to come if we gots bad loyalty

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
W
That’s awesome that you are doing that, I’m sure it’s very rewarding.

She is from a small town called Meru (close to Mt Kenya). We both actually live in the USA at present, but will end up back in Noosa at some point in time.

We are both planning a trip to Kenya next year (my first time) and I can’t wait to check it out :grinning:

Anyways, better not bore everyone else here with our back and forth, but nice to meet you and UP THE DOGGIES!!
What ethnicity is your wife?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Read is right in that we have some players who aren't buying into what Ciraldo is trying to achieve. If RFM is whinging about how hard we train then he isn't the player we want or need.

If you've ever heard Peter Tunks or Willie Mason interviewed about training they always say "we knew we trained harder than anyone else". It made them a hard team to beat because no team ever could belt them as hard as they belted each other at training. Look at the mentality of the Panthers in defence, they go up a gear and look like they love defending. We need to get players who will buy in like they do.
We simply need to get rid of the players who have been at the club that have built a losing culture and it doesn't matter who that player is. The rot has to be cleaned out and I understand recent signings Knight and possibly Taffe and others coming from a winning culture that have come from systems that have good work ethics.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I see it a little differently. For better or worse, in the offseason, Gus and CC wanted RFM for his off-field leadership. In that respect, I wasn't surprised, because by all accounts he's a good man who leads with actions off the field. I've said for a while he's not a middle, he's an edge forward and he was brought to the club to replace Lane on an edge. That he's fallen out with the club, well, that happens sometimes. It doesn't mean it's all good, or all bad. Would we want to keep him on his performance?

The bigger issue is the floggings have returned, and that IS a culture problem. That's heads dropping, effort lacking and men not turning up for, or trusting each other, especially in defence. Once there are 2 or 3 men you no longer trust on the field, no defensive system can work, because you're double guessing the guy next to you at least once every set. You either miss because you've got his opponent in the corner of your eye, or you go in because you think he'll miss. The scorelines follow.

I don't mind a bit of ruthlessness to improve where we are, but we are still The Family Club. If we'd won those 3 close games, we'd be closer to 10th. But we didn't and in that regard, a handful of players can change a season. Sexton has looked good, Skelton too. Wilson is certainly FG quality. Some astute buying and we look different this time next year and very different in 2025

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he’s not that bad. He’s got good footy trivia knowledge and at times just has common sense

braith is still a bulldog. You can see he’s pissed off with buzz and shows genuine concern
I’m sure Braith is sitting there thinking “here we go again” with Buzz…rubbish the Bulldogs at any opportunity and somehow link it to Gus, it’s so Fkn obvious and tiring now, give it up Buzz ffs - meanwhile, Buzz doesn’t have a thing to say about how sh!t his sharks are going - bias journalism at its best.

Braith is in disbelief this once ruthless and feared club for over 4 decades has been reduced to powder puffs with sh!t attitudes to hard work.. the club was built on hard work…. It’s clear RFM and Sutton (and any other forward released this year) doesn’t buy into the work ethic and standards. 2024 is going to be different, it just is…. We have had to endure incredible amounts of sh!t luck, 1 or 2 more high quality players will arrive and Ciro will have had a year to reflect on (albeit sometimes you have to just cop your medicine when things are outside your control).

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Brent Reed and Braith are the only blokes on that show with half a brain and no specific agenda, Tallis, Buzz and Kent are shockers and Hooper is hit and miss.

Reed was on pointe, not because he was defending us, but because it’s factually accurate… Buzz’s argument revolves around building from within, well, they are champ, but 2 things, 1.you can’t keep them all especially if another club offers overs & 2. Building from within takes 2-3yrs to bare fruit - but, we need to develop a winning culture and those young blokes need on-field leaders and mentors
Your point regarding on-field leadership & culture is really very key. At present I can’t see anyone effectively leading & inspiring the team on the paddock.
I think Reed M is trying hard, causing him to make a lot of mistakes, & he is just too small to have real impact alone. That is, unless he has a couple of able lieutenants.
Idk perhaps Kikau & Sexton may be options ??!!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see it a little differently. For better or worse, in the offseason, Gus and CC wanted RFM for his off-field leadership. In that respect, I wasn't surprised, because by all accounts he's a good man who leads with actions off the field. I've said for a while he's not a middle, he's an edge forward and he was brought to the club to replace Lane on an edge. That he's fallen out with the club, well, that happens sometimes. It doesn't mean it's all good, or all bad. Would we want to keep him on his performance?

The bigger issue is the floggings have returned, and that IS a culture problem. That's heads dropping, effort lacking and men not turning up for, or trusting each other, especially in defence. Once there are 2 or 3 men you no longer trust on the field, no defensive system can work, because you're double guessing the guy next to you at least once every set. You either miss because you've got his opponent in the corner of your eye, or you go in because you think he'll miss. The scorelines follow.

I don't mind a bit of ruthlessness to improve where we are, but we are still The Family Club. If we'd won those 3 close games, we'd be closer to 10th. But we didn't and in that regard, a handful of players can change a season. Sexton has looked good, Skelton too. Wilson is certainly FG quality. Some astute buying and we look different this time next year and very different in 2025
The disappointing aspect of RFM is that he regressed after he became club captain - you would think given that honour you grow an extra leg and role model all necessary behaviours with a focus on hard work toward on-off field success. The other disappointment is the club showed faith in this man throughout his injury riddled career when the easy option was to go into a different direction - they stuck by him and in hindsight, he didn’t repay the faith, instead, it is reported he wasn’t seeing eye-to-eye with the people setting high standards - I can’t understand this point from a professional athlete…

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Your point regarding on-field leadership & culture is really very key. At present I can’t see anyone effectively leading & inspiring the team on the paddock.
I think Reed M is trying hard, causing him to make a lot of mistakes, & he is just too small to have real impact alone. That is, unless he has a couple of able lieutenants.
Idk perhaps Kikau & Sexton may be options ??!!
Spot on mate, leadership and experience in the NRL is becoming a lost critical requirement, clubs are way too infatuated with “the spine”, youth and “the next big thing”…

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is an article from RFMs manager saying they know nothing about him being released and deny that he complained about training loads.

Tomato sauce story from media

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m sure Braith is sitting there thinking “here we go again” with Buzz…rubbish the Bulldogs at any opportunity and somehow link it to Gus, it’s so Fkn obvious and tiring now, give it up Buzz ffs - meanwhile, Buzz doesn’t have a thing to say about how sh!t his sharks are going - bias journalism at its best.

Braith is in disbelief this once ruthless and feared club for over 4 decades has been reduced to powder puffs with sh!t attitudes to hard work.. the club was built on hard work…. It’s clear RFM and Sutton (and any other forward released this year) doesn’t buy into the work ethic and standards. 2024 is going to be different, it just is…. We have had to endure incredible amounts of sh!t luck, 1 or 2 more high quality players will arrive and Ciro will have had a year to reflect on (albeit sometimes you have to just cop your medicine when things are outside your control).
Players, fans, lovers of the game and our club, would buy in more to Ciro if he was consistently making wise player selections and rotations to enable his new club defensive strategies.

The injuries and current player footy IQ's are out of his hands but just like the players dont seem to trust the guys defending next to them, then people are going to question CC coaching, and maybe latently the players?, when he constantly picks the mistake riddled players who dont defend well enough, often drop the ball in crucial field position or are just plain reserve graders when we have had forward and FB options.

Next year we surely, both players and coaching staff, can take something well learnt out of this annus horribilus :grinning:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
A plan.

And what if RFM and Sutton had fronted management on behalf of ALL the players? You don't know if that's the case. Wouldn't the Club Captain be the man to do that?
What if, as appears distinctly possible, that CC has lost the playing group?
What then?
Gus was very shy to say much, rightly so, on 100% Footy last night.
If there's more widespread discontent, the media would sniff it out, UNLESS players weren't allowed to talk to the media. Hmmmm
Under cover of darkness, the animals decided to take action into their own hands.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is an article from RFMs manager saying they know nothing about him being released and deny that he complained about training loads.

Tomato sauce story from media
I saw this too today. That they're both (RFM and manager) disappointed by the media, while they haven't been told anything. Mind you, Media saying "official" Bulldogs story could mean the guy who wipes the boardroom table told them the rumour