Official Issac Luke released, signs with Broncos

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Issac Luke will become the first disgruntled Dragon to exit the club, with the Brisbane-bound hooker’s career in the Red V over after just 150 minutes of football.

The Sun-Herald can reveal Luke has been granted a release after becoming frustrated with the lack of opportunities and direction under embattled coach Paul McGregor. It follows revelations young guns Jason Saab and Tristan Sailor also want out due to a lack of opportunity, while fullback Matt Dufty is also considering his options.

Luke’s departure after just three games will raise further questions about recruitment and team selection at St George Illawarra. The former Kiwi international was signed as a backup to Cameron McInnes after Reece Robson shifted to North Queensland in the off season. But after just three appearances for the Dragons, Luke has been released to add experience to a Broncos outfit missing the injured Jake Turpin. The veteran rake’s arrival will also assist with the development of promising young dummy half Cory Paix.

Luke informed his Dragons teammates of his decision after coming to terms with Brisbane on a deal for the rest of the year.

The development comes just a week after Dragons recruitment target Moses Suli knocked back a three-year, $2 million deal to re-sign at Manly on a two-year deal worth half as much. Star forward Tyson Frizell will also leave at the end of the season in the belief he has a greater chance of winning a premiership at Newcastle. The dramas are hardly a ringing endorsement for the last-placed club, the only one yet to win a game in 2020.

The St George Illawarra board opted to publicly offer McGregor their full support following an emergency board meeting earlier in the week at which many pundits believed the coach would be axed. The Dragons have won just two of their past 14 games, both against wooden spooners Gold Coast, coming into their local derby with Cronulla at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb believed the decision to publicly back rather than sack McGregor would ease the pressure on the coach.

"He’s just appreciative of the club outwardly displaying support for him," Webb said during the week.

"I think he’s just keen to be getting on with the job now."

The Dragons again refused to grant Saab a release after a second meeting with his manager during the week. However, the 19-year-old winger remains unhappy at the club amid interest from other teams including the Tigers, Bulldogs, Warriors, Rabbitohs, Storm and Sea Eagles.

Dufty had been sounded out by the Gold Coast, although they are likely to instead settle on another fullback currently unable to crack a first-grade spot, Wests Tigers utility Corey Thompson.

Sailor, the son of dual international Wendell, is also losing patience after being unable to break into a winless team. The 21-year-old impressed during the last three games of last season and was a standout during the Nines, but has again been overlooked for selection despite an injury suffered by outside back Brayden Wiliame.

The Dragons are set for a massive roster overhaul with Sailor, James Graham, Jack de Belin, Tim Lafai, Euan Aitken, Jacob Host and Mikaele Ravalawa among the players uncontracted at the end of the year.

De Belin, who is facing rape charges, is scheduled for a court hearing in Wollongong on June 22. McInnes denied suggestions his presence at training had split the club and was an ongoing distraction.

The joint-venture outfit will be without NSW forward Tariq Sims for at least a month with a wrist injury.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good pick up for them. Did the Broncs release someone or still had a spot left??

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me or did that come out of nowhere?

Feels like I'm living in a cave.

Good on him though, I wonder if his manager had a chat to the doggies?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Is it just me or did that come out of nowhere?

Feels like I'm living in a cave.

Good on him though, I wonder if his manager had a chat to the doggies?
Interesting isn't it. I saw something on Fox last night about 4 options for the Broncs at hooker, next day they sign one. We've been needing one for about 5 years? Just saying.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Damn he would of been good for this season for us

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
IMO Isaac Luke is past it. He doesn't offer much at all these days. Let the Donkeys have him.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
broncos saw had no suitable hooker to fill in for injured turpin, and acted straight away fixing the issue

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So he signed up as a back up hooker with Drags, got disgruntled about a "lack of opportunities " and so has gone to Broncs as their back up guy?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
broncos saw had no suitable hooker to fill in for injured turpin, and acted straight away fixing the issue
Filled a void. Whether it fixes the issue remains to be seen. His sluggishness from marker will get exploited bigtime with these new ruck rules IMO.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If the Dragons continue struggling, heads will roll and players will become available, im sure there will be one or two we could use.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His biggest asset was his speed out of dummy half......doesn't really offer much these days.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a beatup by the media making out its so bad for dragons hes way past it

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His biggest asset was his speed out of dummy half......doesn't really offer much these days.
I saw him last week for the Dragons and I thought, fark they are desperate getting Oompa Loompa's suited up. He needs to run all the way to Red Hill.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People looking about not signing Luke...... honestly comedy

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Used to be great at the bunnies, I think he’s past it,bit of a journeyman nowadays, like a lot of players..!!