Israel Folau | Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
What's the Buzz: Canterbury Bulldogs close in on Israel Folau

ISRAEL Folau is on the verge of becoming the first sporting star in history to play three footy codes in three years.

We're hearing the Canterbury Bulldogs have all but reached an agreement for Folau to rejoin the NRL next year.

It would mean the new Wallaby recruit will have played AFL for the Giants, rugby union for the Waratahs and league for the Bulldogs in just three seasons.

The NRL deal has yet to be finalised, but Folau's manager has been in talks with the Dogs for a number of weeks.

All parties have been under pressure to keep negotiations secret in case it affected his chances of being chosen for the Wallabies. The talks are so far down the track that even NRL chief executive Dave Smith has been involved.

The game is determined not to make the same mistake as last time when Folau was ready to sign with Parramatta but delays at the NRL with a salary-cap clearance saw him join the Waratahs.
Advertisement

Rugby union officials refuse to give up hope of him staying.

"Israel Folau is a wonderful talent," ARU boss Bill Pulver said.

"In the space of four months he has earned the right to Qantas Wallabies selection for the British and Irish Lions tour.

"We obviously want to retain him in the game beyond this year and we are working towards that aim."

The chance to also represent Australia in sevens rugby at the Olympic Games is another temptation for Folau to stay.

But my information is that the Bulldogs are now long odds on to secure his signature.

He can't say so publicly but those closest to him say he prefers rugby league and more opportunities with the football.

The obvious question is how would the Bulldogs fit a $750,000-a-year player under the salary cap.

The future of Blues centre Josh Morris has been the centre of much speculation in recent times with reports he's heading back to St George Illawarra.

If it were to happen, his departure would almost be enough to squeeze Folau in under the salary cap.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...+dailytelegraphnrlndm+(Daily+Telegraph+|+NRL)

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the same inside informant that led to the daily Rag claiming Ricky Stuart was going to be bulldogs coach. The daily rag should stick writing about facts not making up rumours. Articles like this will only hurt Israel. Once again demonstrates that the daily rag is deficient of footbal nouce journos who can write insightful pieces on the football being played. Instead they make up and publish rubbish. The rumour is that News will be announcung shortly there is to be a cull of daily rag journos because news didn't need them in the digital age.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Bunnies can have Burgess x 4, Reynolds, Sutton, Luke, Inglis, Te'o, Asotasi, Crocker, Champion, Merrit, etc, we can afford to keep Morris and Folau in the same team.

I'd hate to see Joshy Morris finishing his career with the filthy Dragqueens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck yes this is brilliant.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Morris won't be leaving. Don't think we will lose Barba or anyone like that either.

The salary cap is going up that helps big time, on top of that Folau is extremely marketable and could get great 3rd partys.

Then with Payne, Turner gone. Halatau, Keating, Hodkinson, Brown, Lowe, Lafai off contract and some bound to go i'm sure we can afford it.

As you mentioned with the bunnies. Inglis is on as much as 2 of our most expensive. Then they have blokes you listed PLUS Isaac Luke nzs hooker, and McQueen. Plus Lima and a few others that are hardly playing for peanuts.

I am confident we can get Folau and lose no one bigger then Halatau and Keating and Lafai this year.

Mmbye becomes the new cover with Romeleo over Keating (like seems to be already). Halatau gone and Klemmer or Burr are depth. Lafai gone for Izzy :D

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Told u so re Folau. We will keep Josh.

5 years ago, $750k a season was a lot of money. Not now. The cap has and will continue to increase.

Why doesn't Rothfield worry about the Sharks cap? New recruits this year include Gordon, Lewis, Ryan and Heighington. Add to the mix Gallen and the resigning of Carney and I can't see how they are under the cap!

Unlike other teams we don't have a 'superstar' on $1 mil. We have a team of really good players that are coached well.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

5 years ago, $750k a season was a lot of money. Not now. The cap has and will continue to increase.

Why doesn't Rothfield worry about the Sharks cap? New recruits this year include Gordon, Lewis, Ryan and Heighington. Add to the mix Gallen and the resigning of Carney and I can't see how they are under the cap!

Unlike other teams we don't have a 'superstar' on $1 mil. We have a team of really good players that are coached well.

Good stuff. Any news on the other signing we were trying finalise before june30?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

Well said mate. Sharks a prime example too.

Carney, Gallen, Lewis, Gordon, Fafita would all be on pretty big money.
Beau Ryan was killing it when recruited, Gibbs, Wright, Ross, Degois, Heighington, Wade Graham, etc etc.

I'm sure we can land Izzy.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope we seal the deal. Folau is an amazing talent.

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
In a couple of years time:

1. Barba
2. Inu
3. Morris
4. Folau
5. Sila
6. Reynolds
7. Someone else hopefully
8. Tolman
9. Ennis
10. Kasiano
11. Pritchard
12. Williams
13. Eastwood

14. Graham
15. Jackson
16. Klemmer
17. Finucane

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
I heard Greenburg best mate of Izzy's manager , this could be an incredible signing . Very good athlete , strong fast and powerful . The time with AFL and Union will make him better , only issue is we due have him who goes ?

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
until the club announce folau as signed, I will take all these reports as nothing more them bullshit, just because buzz rothfield reports it does not mean its fact, and fox sports is just playing follow the leader

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People against also have to think about the marketing opportunities here.

I'd be the first to buy a jersey with his name on it.

Fuck..the club will rake in millions by signing him

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Breaking news on @IzzyFolau he will be in the #ICC #ChampionsTrophy sqaud and ifhe plays well possible Ashes selection
Haha fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.