Opinion Is Topine overrated?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen, Im certainly not against Topine, like you all, Im praying hes gonna get a shot and be an absolute hero for the club however ive seen some pretty average defensive efforts from him in the NSW cup this year, some brilliant tries aswell mind. Is he as good as some make out? I hope he is but I dont know? I know people are saying hes being saved for next year but first grade experience is invaluable, hes not getting a crack in our team at the minute and that team has Joe Stimson, I cant work out why not, is he just not that good? I hope im completely wrong but I just dont know what he is right now? Hes off contact also, interested to hear what people think

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
All I'll say is if he was at Melbourne from a younger age you would see a far better player. Our clubs shit development coupled with COVID has hampered him.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I see he tries very hard and is not lazy but he needs to work on a few parts of his game. Defence is suspect sometimes and he needs a bit more body mass to play up front in grade.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the mouth of someone who has coached him throughout his juniors at St George Dragons.. “effort and energy is there but he’s way too small to make it in the NRL”

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His effort is there, but unfortunately size will always play a factor, especially in the forwards.

Should be in the team over Stimson though.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd say if the rest of the forward pack has the size to be matching or dominant over the opposition, he's an energetic type player that would provide a point of difference. Size isn't everything, but it's become a huge part of the NRL these days.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
when compared to Waddell and definitely Stimson he isn't overrated. I think he's deserved at least 1 chance to play this season.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get why people keep saying Topine is too small. He's not.

He's 181cm and 95kgs.

Compared to:
JMK (186cm / 83 kgs)
Jackson (180cm / 99 kgs)
Thompson (184cm / 102kgs).

So in reality he probably needs to bulk up a little bit more, but he's not that far off other players, and certainly not "too small".

I'd say Kurtis Morrin is about the same as him.

Topine does have a few defensive lapses at times, but I think lack of development has hampered him. That as well as figuring out what position is best for him.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From the mouth of someone who has coached him throughout his juniors at St George Dragons.. “effort and energy is there but he’s way too small to make it in the NRL”
That’s what they said about Thurston

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think due to how poor we’ve been we have been excited about any junior with a fingernail of talent. Not saying he can’t become a solid first grader but that’s as much as I’d expect from him. He’s overrated on the kennel but I can’t see his career taking off.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His effort is there, but unfortunately size will always play a factor, especially in the forwards.

Should be in the team over Stimson though.
Why should he be there over Stimson? What does he add to the team? We are lacking size across the team as it is, and you think it would be best to remove the biggest guy on the bench and replace him with a players who’s suited to the backline?