Is Tony Williams Worth It?

Is Tony Williams Worth It? Should we replace him? Who should replace him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Trex had one of his best games of the season. Was he playing more for a contract? For Des? For himself? Who the heck knows, he'll be forever one of the great mysteries of our proud club.

What we do know is that if he puts in performances like that and with B-Moz coming into the squad, we become a serious contender.

Trex is still a Bulldog and we need to back him off the back of yesterday's performance.
Well said D.O.W. exactly on how I feel!! Big Tony, Klemmer, Eastwood, Kasiano, Browne, Graham, Tollman and Jackson...in full flight is a very scary thought for our competitors.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres been lots of criticism on Williams, and most of it is justified. But why dont we look at finding the problem with him.
When he's on his game he's very good. But he's just not on his game. I seriously think he has a physical problem with his legs.
He just cannot stretch out. Probably caused by too much weight training and not enough running. Train him properly and he will be much better.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres been lots of criticism on Williams, and most of it is justified. But why dont we look at finding the problem with him.
When he's on his game he's very good. But he's just not on his game. I seriously think he has a physical problem with his legs.
He just cannot stretch out. Probably caused by too much weight training and not enough running. Train him properly and he will be much better.
Players being paid $600k a season shouldn't have issues or kinks that need to be ironed out. They should be good to go and be a consistent top performer.

Malla

Reaction score
Players being paid $600k a season shouldn't have issues or kinks that need to be ironed out. They should be good to go and be a consistent top performer.
Agreed. Compare him to Jackson who is now a marquee player. He's probably stepped it up a notch, never complains, just gets the job done. If he's having a poor game (rare) he'll just put more effort in defence and do his best to make a difference some how. That should be the attitude of all marquee players not she-rex who feels like he has been ironing out his kinks for the last 3 years lol.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
We should use the funds to buy some pace outwide.. Might make perrett think twice before he comes off his wing

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well said D.O.W. exactly on how I feel!! Big Tony, Klemmer, Eastwood, Kasiano, Browne, Graham, Tollman and Jackson...in full flight is a very scary thought for our competitors.
We looked very intimidating out there with all of those big boppers getting a roll on. Having Klemmer starting is critical, he is giving us that punch whilst Graham and Tols are doing the usual things they don't get much credit for. It's all about the right balance and I think we are finding ours. Bottom line is we need one of either Klemmer or Kasiano to be in that starting pack to give us that early dominance to counterbalance the less aggressive Tolman/Graham combo. Klemmer's impact off the bench is substituted by a resurgent Trex. The inclusion of B-Moz will further strengthen the make up of the team... Not to mention this "new" approach by Dessie to get the outside backs some good early ball is breathing life into what was a highly predictable game plan. I'm getting good vibes.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon it's all psychological with him... Either he's afraid to injure himself or others.

The shoulder charge took a lot out of his destructive game too.

But his sheer size makes him a force to be reckoned with, and if he hits the line with some pace, will always create an overlap on inside or outside as he attracts defenders. This is where Trex is at his most dangerous (attracting defenders with someone trailing him and a hand free).

inside-doggy

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm hearing that was Tony Williams last game for the dogs regardless of his performance.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if we retain him on a single year contract, until someone like Strickland or Fine or someone is 100% ready for first grade.

Tony gives us size out wide, something only Eastwood can also provide in second row (Jackson and RFM aren't that big). Against big forward packs smaller second rowers may struggle.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd be happy to just leave them all hunting and working...... we're at about the halfway point to the season, T-Rex has been lazy and under performed for a bit, so I'd tend to tell him good game, you put your name back in the mix....... then drop him back to NSW cup if Elliot is fit.

I wouldn't re-sign him as a priority, the season for us is far from over, so stand up and force your way back in this year, or don't. He lost value on his contract already, one game isn't enough to think about the next contract. We are chasing a premiership THIS year, I wouldn't be kissing up to someone who stepped in through injury and simply did their job..... more would be needed this season before even talking about a new contract (we already replaced him just fine, so there isn't really a search to do here..... for mine, even felt the commentary for the game kissed his ass a little for simply doing what he is meant to do. Cool, you did what your paid to do, maybe do it again a few times before we talk about new contracts?)

Post this round, I wouldn't be contract talking with anyone, maybe just let one or two know that we might want to talk, if you can stay on the job another few rounds...... T-Rex needs to do more, not just to stay with us, but failing that, just to get a solid offer elsewhere at this point. More direct, if I was Des, and Elliot was fit next game, I'd pick him and drop T-Rex again, if that's what is required to wake him up and have him do his not so complicated job
I agree
And it reminds me of Ben Roberts
He was due for a new contract and had a blinder against the Broncos
Got his new contract then went back to being shit.

Same will happen with Williams

Williams needs to play consistently well all year before we even consider him for a new contract and even then on a 1/4 of what he is currently on

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
180m with 14 runs, even more impressive than klemmer who had 19 runs for 168m. Only person who ran more metres was Rona who made most of his from that brake.

To bad we probably wont see a performance like that again

Yep so he treated himself for a fucken massive feed down at sofra Merrylands

Status
Not open for further replies.