Is tHis a good idea for widening the junior talent pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was thinking just then how to expand our smallish junior player base and I had an idea that maybe the doggs can establish a program targeting children/ teenagers who have fallen by the wayside and found themselves in juvenile detention, problem schools etc.
No shortage of this in the area.

My logic is these kids tend to be naturally aggressive, fearless to a degree, usually athletic and are drying out for a sport/hobby/role models in their lives.

Is it worth getting someone like Steve Turner, Bobcats and Willie Mason to rock up and share stories, take them under their wing and get some footy into them and try to both add meaning to their lives and expand our player pool?
Might also get some loyalty to the club from it.
I know south’s do this with aboriginal kids but, I and wondering if the doggs have ever tried?

could be a good PR rags to riches story.
‘I was a 15 yr old addict in jail but the Bulldoggs saved me’ etc.

Always a Bulldogg.

Last edited:

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
now you’re dreaming up sh1t. Stick to the Turvey being divisive and unworthy crap, the stand off half and misspelling words

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
now you’re dreaming up sh1t. Stick to the Turvey being divisive and unworthy crap, the stand off half and misspelling words
Why do you have to be like that?
Why can’t we just have a seriosu discussion/thinking exercise. Just once.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was thinking just then how to expand our smallish junior player base and I had an idea that maybe the doggs can establish a program targeting children/ teenagers who have fallen by the wayside and found themselves in juvenile detention, problem schools etc.
No shortage of this in the area.

My logic is these kids tend to be naturally aggressive, fearless to a degree, usually athletic and are drying out for a sport/hobby/role models in their lives.

Is it worth getting someone like Steve Turner, Bobcats and Willie Mason to rock up and share stories, take them under their wing and get some footy into them and try to both add meaning to their lives and expand our player pool?
Might also get some loyalty to the club from it.
I know south’s do this with aboriginal kids but, I and wondering if the doggs have ever tried?

could be a good PR rags to riches story.
‘I was a 15 yr old addict in jail but the Bulldoggs saved me’ etc.

Always a Bulldog.
Just the kind of statement expected from a primary school kid.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just think it would be good to throw out initiatives and ideas for a hot second.
Sport Initiatives aimed at the underprivileged have been around since William Barton.

The fact you think this is a novel, innovative idea show just how young and naive you really are.

Google is free dude.

Try it out.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sport Initiatives aimed at the underprivileged have been around since William Barton.

The fact you think this is a novel, innovative idea show just how young and naive you really are.

Google is free dude.

Try it out.
When did the Doggs do this?
Haven’t seen anything in Google

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't know about it as a strategy but it's good when clubs or players via youth centres work with redeemable youth.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about it as a strategy but it's good when clubs or players via youth centres work with redeemable youth.
I agree.
One of my fav players Zac Hardaker apparently was a gangsta type growing up and league saved him and he’s achieved it all now.
Also you see boxers like Tyson who turned it around.
We tap up 40 kids and I reckon 2/3 make the grade and one becomes a star. Mission accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.