Is our Beloved Bulldogs Club copping a good dose of Karma ?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This club turned to shit when they routinely started (or felt compelled) offering contracts that are 3 or 4 years long, with the inability our nous to sever them early when things don't work out. Pure and simple.

Oh, I forgot. They are also obsessed with trying to unearth the next big thing and often trying to do it by playing players out of position.

Junior pathways may be on the mend, but the recruitment and contract types offered for first grade, are as bad as they come.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s not karma, the game in general has turned to shite.
Too many rule changes and giving referees greater subjective control.
Physical battle removed from the game, better athlete wins by greater margin, no way to grind out results any longer.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree and disagree… agree des was the beginning of the end of an era for us but I also disagree when you say we are still in damage control over it. It’s more the guys at the top end that take the blame. They have had years and multipul players we could have signed who they failed to do so since des. We never replaced our Hooker when ennis left. We never replaced our fb when barba left, we got rid of talented players and replaced them with cup players.
There’s a long list of things that have gone wrong since des. It’s all excuses! Other clubs have been in worse positions and are playing finals footy.
We won’t see finals footy for god knows how long!
And to end off I wana say this club has gone down the drain, players get here and regress, no matter who we sign we seen to fail to get the best out of them and that’s all due to the loser mentality.
we still played hard when des was here and competed every week. This junior bs is all a load of crap. We just got rid of one of our best juniors in avo so the club can stop using the bullshit excuse of juniors.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree and disagree… agree des was the beginning of the end of an era for us but I also disagree when you say we are still in damage control over it. It’s more the guys at the top end that take the blame. They have had years and multipul players we could have signed who they failed to do so since des. We never replaced our Hooker when ennis left. We never replaced our fb when barba left, we got rid of talented players and replaced them with cup players.
There’s a long list of things that have gone wrong since des. It’s all excuses! Other clubs have been in worse positions and are playing finals footy.
We won’t see finals footy for god knows how long!
And to end off I wana say this club has gone down the drain, players get here and regress, no matter who we sign we seen to fail to get the best out of them and that’s all due to the loser mentality.
we still played hard when des was here and competed every week. This junior bs is all a load of crap. We just got rid of one of our best juniors in avo so the club can stop using the bullshit excuse of juniors.
All makes sense mate if you are like a Hasler and only focused on 1st grade … if we keep having a buy what we need mindset we end up like the Tigers or Knights and some of these other clubs that have been losing forever … players on overs that don’t have the passion or love for the club to take it all the way … (I believe Parra had the team to win the premiership last season, what was missing was this passion and love for their club to want it bad enough, Parra are mostly a team of mercenaries, the Panthers have the passion and love for their club because look at where they’ve all come from)

The Anderson’s & Barrett were finally handed a full salary cap after the Hasler mess, what did they do, they went to market and bought mercenaries, but being a bottom 4 club you struggle to get real quality … and how’s that worked out ..

Gus dropped a comment in his last presser that points to our problems, he said if we’d started 6 years ago we’d be so much further down the line and be starting to reap the rewards …

He didn’t mean buying players, he meant setting up pathways, development, centre of excellence and producing our own talent ..

Yes there are maybe 1 or 2 clubs (Roosters & Bronco’s) that can quickly get back to finals and buy premierships, but that’s the exception to the rule … the only way we’re getting back to the top is exactly what Gould’s doing, developing our own talent.

Couple of points to have a look at, where did the majority of our players come from for our last 3 premierships ?

Where did the players come from for the knights last premiership … how many have they won since taking on more of a buy what you need mentality?

Where did the players come from for the Tigers last premiership, how’s it worked out for them since they started buying players instead.

How’d the Panther fair buying players and how have they gone since dropping that mindset and developing their own = B2B premiership wins ..

The only way forward is development !

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of us have said the beginning of the end was Greenturd. The decisions that he made over that period was to try and pay for quick success. But he doesn't understand the game. Bringing Des in I don't think was the problem agreeing to give him full control was the problem. This was all Greenturd, he wanted a quick turn around at the dogs because his eyes were on his next career move, pretty much the whole time he was at the dogs. What he did to our pathways was just another example of looking for quick wins, not continued success.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
All makes sense mate if you are like a Hasler and only focused on 1st grade … if we keep having a buy what we need mindset we end up like the Tigers or Knights and some of these other clubs that have been losing forever … players on overs that don’t have the passion or love for the club to take it all the way … (I believe Parra had the team to win the premiership last season, what was missing was this passion and love for their club to want it bad enough, Parra are mostly a team of mercenaries, the Panthers have the passion and love for their club because look at where they’ve all come from)

The Anderson’s & Barrett were finally handed a full salary cap after the Hasler mess, what did they do, they went to market and bought mercenaries, but being a bottom 4 club you struggle to get real quality … and how’s that worked out ..

Gus dropped a comment in his last presser that points to our problems, he said if we’d started 6 years ago we’d be so much further down the line and be starting to reap the rewards …

He didn’t mean buying players, he meant setting up pathways, development, centre of excellence and producing our own talent ..

Yes there are maybe 1 or 2 clubs (Roosters & Bronco’s) that can quickly get back to finals and buy premierships, but that’s the exception to the rule … the only way we’re getting back to the top is exactly what Gould’s doing, developing our own talent.

Couple of points to have a look at, where did the majority of our players come from for our last 3 premierships ?

Where did the players come from for the knights last premiership … how many have they won since taking on more of a buy what you need mentality?

Where did the players come from for the Tigers last premiership, how’s it worked out for them since they started buying players instead.

How’d the Panther fair buying players and how have they gone since dropping that mindset and developing their own = B2B premiership wins ..

The only way forward is development !
Not wrong Uleh but we don’t have the numbers compared to tigers, panthers and knights.
We need to find a league region no one is in much and extract from there.
I think Gus doing some north coast pathways

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not wrong Uleh but we don’t have the numbers compared to tigers, panthers and knights.
We need to find a league region no one is in much and extract from there.
I think Gus doing some north coast pathways
Back in the day the Bulldogs were known as one of the best development clubs in the league … SBW, JT, so many superstars to mention …. go and have a look at how strong we were from top to bottom when we won 17 straight, we didn’t have the huge catchment areas these other clubs have back then either …. Unfortunately past management and bad decisions allowed those relationships, pathways and development strategies that took decades to build, to just crumble away .. as you touched on, Gould is working diligently on getting it back and focusing on building new catchment areas and forming new relationships ..

Most times it’s not about having the biggest and the best catchment areas, it can simply come down to how well you manage and utilise what you’ve got …

The Panthers didn’t just overnight inherit this biggest junior catchment area in the league, they’ve always had it, yet they’d only ever won 2 premierships with it since 67 … the biggest move Gould made was to show them how to rid themselves of their buy the players they needed mindset, and instead invest in their young kids, and then how to put the right people in place to develop them and bring them through the grades together, and then how get them 1st grade ready as a group/team..

We don’t need the huge catchment areas some of these other clubs have to compete with them, we’ve proven this before … we just need time and the right people with brains to better utilise what we do have, and then to continue to push forward with this develop our own players type mindset …

Last edited:

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don’t understand why we let Schoup leave, Alamoti was not ready for NRL, Schoup had passion and pride in the blue & white .. looks like a fish out of water at the tits.. he might be one we should lure back

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t understand why we let Schoup leave, Alamoti was not ready for NRL, Schoup had passion and pride in the blue & white .. looks like a fish out of water at the tits.. he might be one we should lure back
I struggled with that one to … but then I didn’t have access to what Barrett offered certain players to get them here, or what the long term salary cap repercussions were that Gould’s still cleaning up ..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Worst decision.
He bled blue,black and white.