News Is it time for the Bulldogs to start rebuilding already? (Zero tackle)

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With the players that we have under contract for next season I think we need 3 signings for our lineup at the very least.

Paul Vaughan, Jackson Topine & Max King could those signings if they show enough this season.

Hopefully we can get someone to take Flanagan & Allan as that would save us around 800k for 2023.

01. Creedence Toia
02. Josh Addo-Carr
03. Aaron Schoupp
04. Paul Alamoti
05. Brent Naden
06. Matt Burton (c)(k)
07. Khaled Rajab
08. Paul Vaughan?
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Luke Thompson
11. Jackson Topine?
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Tevita Pangai Junior

14. Bailey Biondi-Odo
15. Josh Jackson
16. Max King?
17. Ava Seumanufagai

That lineup is easily a top 8 team.
Khaled Rajab is another running 5/8 though. Only works if Burton becomes a halfback.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD what an over reaction, it's not all that complex. The average NRL player contract is 3 years (of course some are more and some less) and there are 30 players on the roster. Which means on average 10 players are off contract every year and next year we have, guess what, 10 players off contract (if Hetherington doesn't exercise his Player Option). Some players may be re-signed, some not, but we do have 10 spots to fill either internally or externally for 2023. For 2024 we only have 5 players contracted (if Burton exercises his Player Option) so we have 25 roster spots available.

The Salary Cap is a bit more complex, the Cap this year will be around $10m, which with 30 player means an average of $333k each. For every player that we have at $100k more than $333k in the Cap then we have to have another player/s $100k under $333k. Noting that the minimum is $120k for players 1 to 26.

The bottom line, we have lots of room to move both in number of players and in our Salary Cap for 2023 and farkin ship loads in 2024.

I have it on good authority that Gould's Salary Cap Excel spreadsheet is functioning perfectly.

FWIW Flanagan isn't on $450k in the Cap, that number includes car allowance, FBT on the car allowance, education allowance plus a small TPA and even then it is still suffering from media inflation. Plus the Chooks paid almost half last season and, like every other player, he took a 6% pay cut this year and 20% the year before.

Always a Bulldog

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Khaled Rajab is another running 5/8 though. Only works if Burton becomes a halfback.
Players develop and most teams play left side half-right side half. I would rather Burton and Rajab next season over anything else we have at the club. Also having Mahoney takes the pressure off both halves.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Players develop and most teams play left side half-right side half. I would rather Burton and Rajab next season over anything else we have at the club. Also having Mahoney takes the pressure off both halves.
Agreed, if RAJAB lights it up in Flegg again this year, I can see him getting some game time in NSW cup towards the end of the year to see how he goes playing against men.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's a massive list of things I have time to worry about. The composition of our team beyond this year isn't one of them yet. If I was in a position where it was part of my responsibilities I'd be worried now. Getting stressed or concerned now does nothing but place me in a position where I'm less able to hopefully enjoy a resurgence of on field success.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attention bulldogs headquarters find a running 7 who has balls and knows how to take the line on please then we will be sweet to challenge to win the comp,it’s like a abyss with a big hole get a move on and plug it please management

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no problem with the Rorters and the salary cap - never has been and never will be.

Years ago I wrote to the NRL when Rorters were already a stacked team and they went out and signed a bunch of other high profile c*nts. No worries.

A complete knob head called Paul Brady (who I think may still be hanging around) wrote back to me all indignant and pis*ed off and said I had better be careful what I say.

He told me what I didn't understand is that players will play for the Rorters for much less than they will play for other clubs. So Rorters having a team stacked with internationals was all legitimate and good.

What knob head said is all BS, a player might take a slight pay cut to play for a top club but he was talking about accepting massive pay cuts to play at Rorters.

Bullsh*t.

F*ckn Ian Schubert was the salary cap auditor for years. Never found any issues at Rorters.

Oh and no problems that he was an ex Rorters player. No conflict of interest or anything.

The NRL and the salary cap are both a massive joke.
I wonder how many x rorters players gave found themselves in a unit or house in Bondi mortgage free and owning the title. Its a fact. I know of 2 such deals as I were there neighbour in Ballina. You can add the dots.

Reactions: ATT

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many x rorters players gave found themselves in a unit or house in Bondi mortgage free and owning the title. Its a fact. I know of 2 such deals as I were there neighbour in Ballina. You can add the dots.
You in Ballina mate?
I'm in the Tweed..

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
It's no different to me replying to your opinion or someone else's on here tho. I don't really get your point.
My point is the article is written by a scholl kid and most in here run with it
can ppl form there own opinions or just copy what other ppl say?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no problem with the Rorters and the salary cap - never has been and never will be.

Years ago I wrote to the NRL when Rorters were already a stacked team and they went out and signed a bunch of other high profile c*nts. No worries.

A complete knob head called Paul Brady (who I think may still be hanging around) wrote back to me all indignant and pis*ed off and said I had better be careful what I say.

He told me what I didn't understand is that players will play for the Rorters for much less than they will play for other clubs. So Rorters having a team stacked with internationals was all legitimate and good.

What knob head said is all BS, a player might take a slight pay cut to play for a top club but he was talking about accepting massive pay cuts to play at Rorters.

Bullsh*t.

F*ckn Ian Schubert was the salary cap auditor for years. Never found any issues at Rorters.

Oh and no problems that he was an ex Rorters player. No conflict of interest or anything.

The NRL and the salary cap are both a massive joke.
Players might accept a little less to play for a top club, but if they are not paid close to the best offer, they will always over time become unhappy and star kicking stones.
If they sign for a lot less in the begining, the only way they will remain happy is by the use of brown paper bags during the season.

Last edited:

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know we have not yet started season 2022, but as we all know a club’s rebuild takes longer than one season and I can see trouble ahead at the Dogs next year.

Part of that starts with the over-the-top, knee-jerk reaction to getting young Kyle Flanagan on board. I am not one to knock a young man trying to make his way into NRL first grade, but the reported $450,000 per year and the length of the contract is going to come back and bite us you know where.

A good sign this season is that the Dogs will field a reserve grade side so anyone called into the side will be match fit.

So, let’s have a look as to who we have on the books for 2023.

Josh Addo-Carr, Alomoti, Corey Allen, Jake Averillo, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Braidon Burns, Matt Burton, Cook, Kyle Flanagan, Josh Jackson, Katao, Viliame Kikau, Reed Mahoney, Brent Naden, Jayden Okunbor, Tevita Pangai Jr., Chris Patolo, Aaron Schoupp, Seumanfagai, Luke Thompson, Corey Waddell.

Twelve spots left for 2023 and this is where it is going to get difficult.
Let’s now look at those who are there for this year and no ongoing contract.

Matt Doorey, Matt Dufty, Reece Hoffman, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Jack Hetherington, Katoa, Max King, Jeremy Marshall-King, Joe Stimson, Jackson Topine, Paul Vaughan, Brandon Wakeham.

Two experienced players on the list with a one-year contract are Dufty and Vaughan and should they both have a good season they will be looking for another contract, and a pay rise.

Two young guns with limited experience are Doorey and Topine and even with limited time last year showed their value with the future in mind. As a club wanting to build a good pathways system, they cannot allow exciting youngster to go and simply attempt to buy a comp.

Max King showed what he has to offer in the opening trial and young Hoffman comes with big wraps.

The problem for next year will be dollars.

If we have to go to the market for a good half, who and how much?

if Dufty is not re-signed we will need a class fullback.

What about Addo-Carr?
Phil Gould is going to need his accountant’s hat on as well as all the others he wears, as I am sure the NRL will be keeping a very close eye on their salary cap.

Next year will be all about key positions that need to be filled and how much is left in the kitty to fill them.

As stated at the top that reported $450,000 a year for Flanagan may well come back to haunt. It could be that extra $100,000 or $200,000 that stops the Dogs from filling a major spot.

Good luck to all the teams this year – except against the Dogs.
Can’t see Stimson being resigned,and same for Waddell,I think they will let luke Thompson go as well.that’s a fair bit of space in the cap right there.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Players might accept a little less to play for a top club, but if they are not paid close to the best offer, they will always over time become unhappy and star kicking stones.
If they sign for a lot less in the begining, the only way they will remain happy is by the use of brown paper bags during the season.
Yes. Exactly. And the Rorters are famous for the brown paper bags payments. They have been doing it and getting away with it for many years.