Opinion Is Gus our modern day Bullfrog

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
it was much easier to win in the mid 80's tbh, all you needed to do was beat parramatta

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I've watched the dogs since the mid 70's. Are you suggesting there are others greater than the 3 I mentioned?
I was going to Belmore in the 60"s, and yes there have been many great players throughout my 60 years, but you missed the main point. A champion team will always beat a team of champions. We have had great players in a great team. They played for each other and a $20 winner pay.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
All I know is only one person could have turned our club around in such a short time frame and its Gus, He is the most important signing the club has made in the last few decades, if he had stayed at the warriors we would be picking up the spoon for the next 3 or 4 years.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They both look liked dropped meat pies, so its possible

In all seriousness though, I would say he's on the right track to be Bullfrog 2.0. He's had a good start, just need the results to follow now and reap the fruits of his recruitment work. I'm sure they'll come

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to Belmore in the 60"s, and yes there have been many great players throughout my 60 years, but you missed the main point. A champion team will always beat a team of champions. We have had great players in a great team. They played for each other and a $20 winner pay.
No you missed the point. I stated a simple fact which you tried to argue against and yet you couldn't list a single person to counter my claim. EVERY club has great players. EVERY club in the 60's had players that played for each other and a $20 winner pay so your response is meaningless in the context of my OP.
How many comps did we win in the 50s and 60s? How many comps did we win in the 70s BEFORE Turvey arrived?
Answer: None and none.
How many comps have we won since Baa retired 25 years ago? Answer: 1.
50% of the comps we won in our 107 year history were won during Turvey's 13 years at the club.
We would not have made the 79GF without Turvey and we wouldn't have won the 80 and 85 GF without him either.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No you missed the point. I stated a simple fact which you tried to argue against and yet you couldn't list a single person to counter my claim. EVERY club has great players. EVERY club in the 60's had players that played for each other and a $20 winner pay so your response is meaningless in the context of my OP.
How many comps did we win in the 50s and 60s? How many comps did we win in the 70s BEFORE Turvey arrived?
Answer: None and none.
How many comps have we won since Baa retired 25 years ago? Answer: 1.
50% of the comps we won in our 107 year history were won during Turvey's 13 years at the club.
We would not have made the 79GF without Turvey and we wouldn't have won the 80 and 85 GF without him either.
Not arguing they aren't great players but they were surrounded by a great team at the time and we've many more. And I don't have to name them, as if you've followed the team for so long you would know them.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not arguing they aren't great players but they were surrounded by a great team at the time and we've many more. And I don't have to name them, as if you've followed the team for so long you would know them.
You still missed the point. Look at all the teams that have won back to back GF since the 80's. You need at least one champion half to to that.
We had a great team and forward pack in the early to mid 2000's and only won 1 GF.
We had a great forward pack and backline between 2012 to 2015 and won no comps.
The answer is simple.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can't compare Lynne to her father. She simply didn't have his qualities as a club boss. Just because a father is a genius in his field doesn't necessarily mean the same applies to his children. Bullfrog knew real talent far earlier than his competitors and was unrivalled in his job and would be a great success in this era as well. I don't recall Bullfrog ever signing a dud on big $$$$$.
Gould and co are doing relatively well because they are competent and the timing of many dud players coming off contract allowing them to recruit. The previous mobs were severely incompetent. Paying freight to offload Graham and replacing him with Woods on huge $$$ was stupidity as was retaining many players who were proven duds.
Chris Anderson was a great coach and one of very few coaches to win GF with 2 clubs. From memory only Gibson, Gould, Sheens and Bennett have done that as well. Anderson also won comps in the UK which I don't think those others have.
Pretty sure that Dib and co signed Woods and Foz in hopes of retaining their places on the board. They literally left the next board in a position where they started out over the cap and had to offload others as the first part of their job.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just read Bullfrog had nine children and was the Kangaroo and NSW manager, busy man, someone to always look up to.