Is CC building a system that's not reliant on one man?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just watch the 360 show talking about how Knights are out of the race because their system is centered around one man- Kalyn Ponga, same with the Eels and Mitch Moses. Newcastle Knights of the 2000s had the same issue when Andrew Johns was out.
Which got me thinking about our team and realized that if Burton does go down it won't really affect us too much. Sexton , Hutch or Mann move to 5/8th and we play on. The decision to recruit as many utilities will turn out to be a masterstroke when other teams are struggling with injuries to key players.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not really a one man team but I don't really see how a team wins a comp without being heavily reliant on at least one or two players. Even with Penrith being so dominant last season they still needed Cleary to drag them over the line when it mattered most.

ATM I think we're pretty reliant on Kikau's presence, just him being there puts fear into the opposition playmakers and creates hesitancy in their defensive line.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he’s trying to emulate the riff “system”, but the difference is they got a production line of talent ready to slot in, you just need to look at the changes they’ve had over the years and they’ve remained successful, kinda like the storm. Not sure if we can do it as good but we are trying

What I like about the utilities is that it kinda does what you say (slot them in anywhere, and hold down the fort until reinforcements arrive) but it’s just the state of the game now. From memory, I cannot remember a time where injuries have been so frequent. Having to face that fact, they recruited well. Can Mann be as good as burto? Not sure. Can taaffe? Not sure either. But I can tell you both will be able to do a decent enough job that a injury won’t make us fall 8 places down the ladder

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah you need your best player on the field if we are talking winning the GF. But you don't want to become a team that has their whole season derailed because your star is out for 8-10 weeks.

For me right now that is probably Kikau. Both sides of the ball he would be impossible to replace but we would deal with it until he got back. We don't have much depth in the backrow though.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really a one man team but I don't really see how a team wins a comp without being heavily reliant on at least one or two players. Even with Penrith being so dominant last season they still needed Cleary to drag them over the line when it mattered most.

ATM I think we're pretty reliant on Kikau's presence, just him being there puts fear into the opposition playmakers and creates hesitancy in their defensive line.
100% he runs mad decoy lines and it opens up the space for other players and creates opportunity. Same as Critta on the right.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Second i read your comment which i have no argument with, the 2004 premiers came to mind.... YES a couple of decades ago and a few future hall of famers but that team was as good as an all rounded team if ever there was one. Especially due to the fact Steve Price undoubtedly the best forward and leader didnt play....

Team's attitude is there... Just need to fill the gaps now and the kids are coming. We will be the most dominant team for the next decade starting from 2026 if not 25.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we're going to be a little bit like Cronulla.. strong on the edges, a fullback who chimes in well.. But also a bit like Penrith in terms of trying to play enough good field position to the point where it's inevitable we get points. In terms of winning against better teams I think there will be some difference if Burton is not on the field, but every team struggles to some extent when their main half is out.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
We've got a few good players in the right areas, Kikau, Fox, Burton, Mahoney, Crichton etc... but I think our weakness is lack of depth in our spine. Utilities can be handy but are not really a long-term solution to a problem.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We've got a few good players in the right areas, Kikau, Fox, Burton, Mahoney, Crichton etc... but I think our weakness is lack of depth in our spine. Utilities can be handy but are not really a long-term solution to a problem.
I think we're in a better position than some clubs.. Taaffe is a quality fb replacement.. Mann, Salmon, Taaffe, Tracey can all play halves, Turpin has played plenty of hooker at NRL level, and Mann can also fill in at hooker if required, and possibly Salmon also.. Raiders will be rolling out a spine featuring three players with 10 NRL games between them this weekend

I_KilledMufasa

Waterboy
Reaction score
people really underate burtons influence. his big early kicks play a very big role in shifting momentum and winning field position. not to mention other smaller stuff like his short dropouts being inch almost perfect everytime.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus and Cameron have put together an all round team inmo. No 1.4 million dollar man, when injured leaves the team in dire straits. No one has mentioned Jake Turpin who can play in the halves and most recent in the lock position where he hit like a sledge hammer against the Storm. Our forwards are holding up ok against bigger opposition with fitness speed and good technique. Looking at the Bulldogs, we don't have too many Champions although we are developing into a champion team.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely it is a system that requires everyone to do their role. I’m loving that seriously this side has developed so much from where we were with Baz… A lot of critics of CC bench selection and team selection but he has delivered a Bulldog performance that has been consistent. He even asked for patience from fans and to trust that we are different.

Wiggs

Waterboy
Reaction score
We aren't reliant on 1 player, however loosing Burto, Kiks, Mahoney, Kiraz, would all have a decent impact

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

You are right one or two X factor players is a necessity to win the comp, but the issue is that there are quite a few sides in the comp who’s season will be over if they lose one or two players, knights are a huge chance of getting the spoon if KP is gone for the year, Dragons will be season over if Hunt gets an injury where as clubs like the broncs ,panthers Melbourne can lose multiple marquee players and barely miss a beat .

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kikau is arguably our most important player right now …he is in destructive form with ball in hand plus look at the different variations on our left edge shape …he drops under and the defence stops which opens up Burton to hit Tracey in space who gets it to Fox…or Burton plays short to Xerri

Defensively Kikau also leads the league in charge down (pressures the kicker) not to mention his chase to nail the fullback or winger.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus playing moneyball...utility's Mann, Turpin, Hutchinson, Taffe, Tracey, Salmon were i belive signed on 2 year deals all low risk without hampering clubs salary cap and free to negotiate with other clubs at the end of this year for the 26 season or released for 25 this will allow for juniors like Oneil, Papalii come through at the right time.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We can't replace Burton's kicking game at the moment

Xerri is helping in making kikau more effective and that'll be vice versa. So we still would look dangerous on that side if one of them is missing
The problem with Xerri at the moment is that he doesn't use Fox enough he runs the ball too much and being predictable.
So hopefully the coaching staff get onto it sooner rather then later.