Opinion Is Burton disinterested?

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lets be honest, his missus would be doing 90% of the work
Yes but if she isn’t coping then that’s where it gets in his head. All speculation of course it could be far from the truth but I’ve seen guys I work with literally do a 180 when they have their first, late to work, sleep deprived, pressure from wife to be at home etc etc. Then it shows in their work that there head isn’t there. He isn’t close to family either I’m assuming.
Like I said could be far from truth, isn’t really like he’s going to come out and publicly admit if it was anyway.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He’s fucking shit. Literally never disliked a player thats one of our own in my life more than Burton. Trex is lucky he only played second row and he wasn’t named captain. Burton, different story.
Yeah, I can't like him. He hurts our team.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Yes but if she isn’t coping then that’s where it gets in his head. All speculation of course it could be far from the truth but I’ve seen guys I work with literally do a 180 when they have their first, late to work, sleep deprived, pressure from wife to be at home etc etc. Then it shows in their work that there head isn’t there. He isn’t close to family either I’m assuming.
Like I said could be far from truth, isn’t really like he’s going to come out and publicly admit if it was anyway.
Haha fair point, you are starting to sound a little too much like Buzz though with all this speculation haha

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I get the feeling he isn’t being pressured for his spot from the coaching staff. He certainly looks too comfortable. But I’m happy to give him this year to prove everybody wrong.
Say he flukes a good year, that makes 1 good season and 2 dud seasons.

Which is the real Burton? Is he worth keeping?

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I honestly think his days are numbered. He just isn’t the guy people think he is or destined to be. I think we can win a comp without him. We have a lot of options coming through the ranks and if he doesn’t completely rip in this year and turn it around I don’t see him being around much longer.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a FAN, never was.. and yea he is JUNK. Sexton is far more creative and way better vision for his plays as well.

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only have to wait a few years until we can see that Papa and O'Neil combo now that's a real spine combination there. TBH im not sure what has happened to Burton seems way too disinterested and just going through the motions like mentioned earlier. Not only on the field but like even during interviews way too monotone.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't like him. He hurts our team.
I’ll say it. We’ll go absolutely nowhere to the top half of the bottom 8, let alone even come close to touching the top 8 with Matthew Burton as our five-eighth. I’m so completely off of him and I don’t like how our season looks if he’s the 6 which is somehow looking likely. Not a single good thing apart from GK has he done with effort and skill over the past 10 months I would say

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somehow it seems like he has actually progressively regressed maybe I’m overreacting from one trial game but it looks of the same from last year even though he did seems to take a few more runs at the line early

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I actually see him being named starting 5/8 in the first trial as a good thing. He is more likely to be dropped sooner, unless his play improves of course. Clearly CC and co want him to do well, but they aren't privileging him so much that he didn't have to turn up for the first trial.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would be less pressure in NSW Cup. He was outplayed by the NSW Cup halves today. But we also have a lot of backs outplaying him too. Where does he fit?

First game of the season. It's a good problem at this point. Am assuming there was a fair bit of competition when he was at penrith. He managed to hold his own. He's a ball runner and clearing kicker obviously. If a few others can get playing the ball a bit then he could go really well.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think he lacks the competitive spirit/effort the quality/elite players have. I think that's the same with his leadership. I don't think this is something you can learn either. You either have it or you don't. I hope I'm wrong tho because I do think he has enough talent to be a quality half (nowhere near it currently).

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes not a terrible player at all, but if i was picking the side for round 1 Burton wouldnt be there. Its more about others doing better than him, than him being bad.