Ipswich Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malla

Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to watch them play?

I saw a reply of the semi final between them and Northern Pride (defending premiers) and it was the most attacking game of football I have ever seen. It was exciting to watch just had me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole 80 minutes.

Those Walkers brothers have found a great formula for success to potentially change the way rugby league is played. I love it.

Marmin Barba has been killing for them this year too.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
watched them a few times....the walker brothers have changed what a lot of coaches do, they want fast plays all game, lots of passes lots of running, lots of ab lib play

when in defense they want fast plays tiring out the opposition, no laying on the tackled player, walkers believe the faster the sets the more sets they will get throughout the game
they are exciting to watch and have changed the way games are played, but when it goes wrong it goes wrong real bad

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They are definately raising eyebrows up here with their coaching style.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Has anyone had the chance to watch them play?

I saw a reply of the semi final between them and Northern Pride (defending premiers) and it was the most attacking game of football I have ever seen. It was exciting to watch just had me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole 80 minutes.

Those Walkers brothers have found a great formula for success to potentially change the way rugby league is played. I love it.

Marmin Barba has been killing for them this year too.
Yes they do play good footy and have done so in the majority of games I have seen them play this year. Honestly don't know why Channel Nine does not broadcast the NSW Cup game prior to the Sunday NRL one like they do with Qld Cup north of the border. Did you notice that every restart from a score by the opposition is a short kick off which is contested each and every time. The go to man for the hit backs was mostly Daniel Vidot even if he had to switch sides of the field.
They made the Pride look ordinary, although to be fair since winning the Qld Cup and the interstate championship they have had a fair turnover of players.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last year the starting wingers would move into the forwards when Barba and another winger came off the bench. Walker bros coach "contract footy" where you have a contract to pass the ball to a person who is in a better position.

Malla

Reaction score
Whatever the style is, it's working. There was a play in the game where the ball easily went through at least 15 passes and offloads before a break was made down the left, Barba put in a chip and the full back scored. Their short kick offs are also a great tactic.

Their hooker is signed with Manly for next season. Looks a gem, really quick out of hooker hits the line hard.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever the style is, it's working. There was a play in the game where the ball easily went through at least 15 passes and offloads before a break was made down the left, Barba put in a chip and the full back scored. Their short kick offs are also a great tactic.

Their hooker is signed with Manly for next season. Looks a gem, really quick out of hooker hits the line hard.
Matt Parcell, good little player. What about the try where Carlin Anderson dropped the ball onto his boot and soccered it three times to the try line to score. The Walker brothers have certainly got a knack for coaching.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want to seem them play the PNG Hunters in the final, they both have an exciting brand of footy.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I want to seem them play the PNG Hunters in the final, they both have an exciting brand of footy.
The Hunters have been a surprise packet, that's for sure. I remember many ,many years ago watching some footy including PNG players who did not have boots. They love the game over there and it is their national sport

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Hunters have been a surprise packet, that's for sure. I remember many ,many years ago watching some footy including PNG players who did not have boots. They love the game over there and it is their national sport
They've done really well. They havent lost for four months, going into the finals unbeaten for 17 matches.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They've done really well. They havent lost for four months, going into the finals unbeaten for 17 matches.
They have such cool names as well; Brandy Peter and Stargroth Amean. Yes 15 wins and two draws in that run, unbelievable and some big scores too. I just love their attitude and their free and easy attack. Season stats 18 wins; two draws and just three losses.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did any of you guys watch the Qld Cup minor semi final between Easts Tigers and Ipswich Jets? The Walker brothers have become something of a revelation as coaches and they have the Jets playing some really confident and impressive footy.

Matt Parcell who is off to Manly next year is a hooker who scored FIVE tries in 52 minutes of football and had a try assist in their 44-18 win. Some of the tries were absolutely freakish and he was ably assisted by his team mates with some lovely touches from Marmin Barba. They have the cattle to go all the way and play the PNG Hunters, another well performing side who lost last week to the Blackhawks in the preliminary final. Shame the GF can't be the Hunters and the Jets because they have been very good consistent sides this year and always play attractive footy.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Did any of you guys watch the Qld Cup minor semi final between Easts Tigers and Ipswich Jets? The Walker brothers have become something of a revelation as coaches and they have the Jets playing some really confident and impressive footy.

Matt Parcell who is off to Manly next year is a hooker who scored FIVE tries in 52 minutes of football and had a try assist in their 44-18 win. Some of the tries were absolutely freakish and he was ably assisted by his team mates with some lovely touches from Marmin Barba. They have the cattle to go all the way and play the PNG Hunters, another well performing side who lost last week to the Blackhawks in the preliminary final. Shame the GF can't be the Hunters and the Jets because they have been very good consistent sides this year and always play attractive footy.
Top game wasn't it!! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Parcell, Barba, and Carlin Anderson had top games. That centre (#4) for them is a gun too!

I *think* the Jets are the Broncos main feeder club (and Blackhawks are Cowboys main feeder), so that gives you some indication.

I would LOVE to see PNG Hunters win it this year, and the State Championship (NSW Cup vs Q Cup game).. would do wonders for the sport on an international level too.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Top game wasn't it!! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Parcell, Barba, and Carlin Anderson had top games. That centre (#4) for them is a gun too!

I *think* the Jets are the Broncos main feeder club (and Blackhawks are Cowboys main feeder), so that gives you some indication.

I would LOVE to see PNG Hunters win it this year, and the State Championship (NSW Cup vs Q Cup game).. would do wonders for the sport on an international level too.
Actually their finals series have pretty much all been good games. Just love the way the Walker boys have coached the Jets this year. They have them competing in every single facet of the game and their short kick offs have given sides plenty of headaches this year. Nemani Valekapa ( no 4)did have a good game against the Tigers.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Actually their finals series have pretty much all been good games. Just love the way the Walker boys have coached the Jets this year. They have them competing in every single facet of the game and their short kick offs have given sides plenty of headaches this year. Nemani Valekapa ( no 4)did have a good game against the Tigers.
I often wonder dogluva... are we potentially the most diverse "single club focussed" Rugby League forum online.

Many others just talk of first grade and that's it. Let alone other grades, and let alone other clubs in other grades.

One of these days when I'm up doing work at our Qld office, I want to try and catch a Q Cup game or two. I always seem to miss out up there.

Malla

Reaction score
Walker brothers are truly onto something. I believe if they win this QLD cup, they can really help bring this type of footy into first grade.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh my, what an absolute cracker the Qld Cup Grand final will be. Ipswich Jets put the cleaners through the PNG Hunters who had such a good season this year and were probably a sentimental favourite of a lot of people.

Whatever the Walker Bothers are doing with the Jets side they are doing it right. Some of the best support play I have seen this year in the Intrust Super Cup and Matt Parcell who is off to Manly next year was good again scoring his sixth try in the last two games.

Townsville have eight ex NRL players in their line up and will be hard to beat but I like the look of the Jets too. Whoever wins the game will meet the NSW Cup Grand final winner either Wyong or Newcastle in two weeks time. Either side will put it to their NSW counterpart.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Townsville side had been talked up since before a ball was kicked in round 1. They had more nrl experience than some nrl teams.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Townsville side had been talked up since before a ball was kicked in round 1. They had more nrl experience than some nrl teams.
You're correct CroydonDog. Big stories about Tom Humble and Robert Lui in particular. Good to see Glen Hall get a run, always had time for him as a footy player. Has had some tough times off the footy field too. Two ex doggie boys in Hall and Ma'afu.

Status
Not open for further replies.