Interest rates could fall to 1960's level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rates tipped at 1960 levels by Easter
November 24, 2008 - 12:25PM

Official interest rates could fall to the lowest level since early 1960 by Easter next year, helped by a massive pre-Christmas rate cut by the central bank.

Debt futures markets currently expect the overnight cash interest rate, which is targeted by the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) in its monetary policy decisions, to fall to 2.75% by April 2009, from 5.25% at present.

In January 1960, the cash rate was 2.89%, according to the monthly average of official daily data published by the RBA.

And if the commercial banks opt to pass on the reduction in full to their standard variable mortgage rates, monthly home loan repayments could be slashed by 23% by Easter.

Debt futures markets also expect the RBA to cut the cash rate by a massive 125 basis points after its next board meeting on December 2.

That would be the biggest one-month cut in official rate since the onset of the 1990 recession.

ABN Amro chief economist Kieran Davies said a shrinking Australian economy, falling asset prices and recession-like levels of business confidence will make the RBA more inclined to cut rates aggressively.

"The wealth effect of falling asset prices is snowballing and the Chinese economy is slowing very sharply,'' he said. "Also, we think the economy is contracting now. We are close to zero.''

If the cash rate then fell under 3% next year, repayments on an average $250,000 standard variable home loan would fall to $1380 a month, from $1790, mortgage calculators show.

Commonwealth Bank of Australia senior economist Michael Workman said the global credit crunch had impaired the ability of firms to borrow, which in turn was hampering business investment.

"In terms of corporate access to debt, it's extremely difficult now while it was possible a year ago,'' he said.

Mr Workman said headline inflation, now at 5%, would fall early next year as capital city petrol prices fell under $1 a litre, and would make the RBA less concerned about price pressures as it slashed rates.

A 125 basis point rate cut in December, as tipped by the markets, would take the cash rate to 4%.

It would be the biggest cut since April 1990, when the RBA slashed the then 16.5% cash rate by 150 basis points as the Australian economy entered into a recession.

Debt futures markets the expect the cash rate to be cut again in February to 3%.

The cash rate has not been below 4.25% level since the RBA began publishing its cash rate target in 1990.

ANZ economist Riki Polygenis said interest rates were more likely to fall to 4% in the June quarter of next year, because the RBA had already cut rates by a total of 200 basis points through September, October and November.

"The futures market is getting a little over-excited,'' she said. "We've already had 200 basis points of cuts and in previous rate cut cycles that's all we got in the first year.

"What we're forecasting is still quite aggressive.''

ABN Amro and the Commonwealth Bank are forecasting a 75 basis point rate cut in December, and both expect a 4% cash rate by the end of March.

ANZ expects the RBA to cut rates by a smaller 50 basis points after it meets in December.

AAP

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Woot im buying a house soon!!!
Perfect timing!!

-313-

some lenders are already offering 4.99% variable rate up to $750k

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Our analysts reckon they'll drop to about 3.5% by June. Which makes the bank std var rate at about 5%

Georgie it's the best time to get a foot on the property ladder, with the FHOG being doubled, look to fix your loan for 3-5 yrs at the lowest point of the rate cycle, which will be about 4% from most lenders.

Please don't borrow beyond your means, they will go back up again once things are back in order around 2010.

That means no ferrari on top of that home loan xeno :p

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Our analysts reckon they'll drop to about 3.5% by June. Which makes the bank std var rate at about 5%

Georgie it's the best time to get a foot on the property ladder, with the FHOG being doubled, look to fix your loan for 3-5 yrs at the lowest point of the rate cycle, which will be about 4% from most lenders.

Please don't borrow beyond your means, they will go back up again once things are back in order around 2010.

That means no ferrari on top of that home loan xeno :p
I get a Volkswagen Golf R version as a company car next year, so I don't need to take a loan out for that.

I will be raped with repayments anyways :(

I want to only spend 400k but i guess if it's worth it 500k is feasible

G

Gladiator.

my parents are screwed, theyre on a 7.25% 3 year fixed rate with 1.5 years remaining, but it seemed a good idea since intrest rates almost hit 9% just after they got it, hopefully it evens out, if not i gues they'll pull out and find another mortgage

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
I get a Volkswagen Golf R version as a company car next year, so I don't need to take a loan out for that.

I will be raped with repayments anyways :(

I want to only spend 400k but i guess if it's worth it 500k is feasible
You know the definition of mortgage stress is allocating more than 30% of your after tax salary towards a principal and interest home loan. Half the state is technically in this position.

If you earn 100k a yr for example you should be borrowing up to $350,000 (allowing for 2.5% in rate increases during the life of your loan).

There are people out there on household incomes of 75k borrowing over $450,000, it's nuts.

D

DoggyStylz

Woo fcuking hoo.......

considering i was on 9.34% full variable just a couple of months ago and i was about to fix rate it 8.8% for 3 years.... lucky i didnt

Malla

Reaction score
Wish I had the money to get into the property market now.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
You know the definition of mortgage stress is allocating more than 30% of your after tax salary towards a principal and interest home loan. Half the state is technically in this position.

If you earn 100k a yr for example you should be borrowing up to $350,000 (allowing for 2.5% in rate increases during the life of your loan).

There are people out there on household incomes of 75k borrowing over $450,000, it's nuts
God i am in trouble then!! That is my wage and my aim!!! :(

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
well that sucks balls

i fixed my rate a year ago for 5 years, thinking of how the last 2 recessions rates were up to 18% with keating and 21% with john howard/malcolm fraser

meh

i can afford the repayments no problem, i'd just rather that extra $100 a week going towards either something else or just continuing to hammer a mortgage at a lower rate

bah humbug! :p

M

mofo sixx

well that sucks balls

i fixed my rate a year ago for 5 years, thinking of how the last 2 recessions rates were up to 18% with keating and 21% with john howard/malcolm fraser

meh

i can afford the repayments no problem, i'd just rather that extra $100 a week going towards either something else or just continuing to hammer a mortgage at a lower rate

bah humbug! :p
if they keep coming down, couldc be worth you while refinancing

even tho the rates are coming down i have kept my repayments the same as when they got up to 9% , that way i get in front a little! ,

Jay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That’s the best news of heard since I started renting out my housing commission hole to others, I might even save some more cash to move out of the trailer park I’m presently liven in. I’ll be laughing all the way to centre-link

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
God i am in trouble then!! That is my wage and my aim!!! :(
You should always only borrow to your means, don't let greedy lenders and mortgage broker out to grab a commission tell you otherwise.

The whole sub prime debacle which led to the biggest credit crisis in history stemmed from people borrowing beyond their affordability and credit rating and then defaulting and being forced to sell, making property prices fall and fcuking up the entire housing industry in the states.

The general rule of thumb is borrow absolutely no more than 5x your gross income.

Since you are single, middle aged then it's possible to extend yourself but always factor in a 2.5% buffer (10 rate rises).

You can get away with interest only repayments for a while but there'll be a time where you'll need to wack off some of the principal.

Any household with family commitments should never borrow more than 35-40% of their after-tax income, don't let any lender or broker fool you into thinking anything else. They have targets, bonuses and commissions to gain, you have possibly a home, credit rating and livelihood to lose.

Xen, you won't believe, in the far west of Sydney, from liverpool, right around to Kellyville there are families who bought in 2004 at the top of the housing boom, with $500k mortgages, who are debted to the hilt on credit cards, personal loans, and are allocating 50% or more after tax to their loans.

If this credit crisis hadn't hit and forced central banks to reduce rates rapidly to prevent recession/depression then heaps of these borrowers would be FCUKED by about 09-10 if rates stayed up around 8-9%.

M

mofo sixx

You should always only borrow to your means, don't let greedy lenders and mortgage broker out to grab a commission tell you otherwise.

The whole sub prime debacle which led to the biggest credit crisis in history stemmed from people borrowing beyond their affordability and credit rating and then defaulting and being forced to sell, making property prices fall and fcuking up the entire housing industry in the states.

The general rule of thumb is borrow absolutely no more than 5x your gross income.

Since you are single, middle aged then it's possible to extend yourself but always factor in a 2.5% buffer (10 rate rises).

You can get away with interest only repayments for a while but there'll be a time where you'll need to wack off some of the principal.

Any household with family commitments should never borrow more than 35-40% of their after-tax income, don't let any lender or broker fool you into thinking anything else. They have targets, bonuses and commissions to gain, you have possibly a home, credit rating and livelihood to lose.

Xen, you won't believe, in the far west of Sydney, from liverpool, right around to Kellyville there are families who bought in 2004 at the top of the housing boom, with $500k mortgages, who are debted to the hilt on credit cards, personal loans, and are allocating 50% or more after tax to their loans.

If this credit crisis hadn't hit and forced central banks to reduce rates rapidly to prevent recession/depression then heaps of these borrowers would be FCUKED by about 09-10 if rates stayed up around 8-9%.
and now the house they paid 500k for is worth 300k or less,

common story,

i have no sympathy tbh, it stems from greed, years ago your first house you started out small & worked your way up, but @ some point ppl got greedy and want a (Mc)Mansion for their first home & a new commodore and a new plasma & a pool etc etc & mortgaged themselves to the hilt to get it without a decent deposit & paid too much for an over valued property. the market is correcting itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.