Integrity of referees..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
After hearing, I'm not sure if it was Ashley Klein or Brett Suttor, saying "I probably should have penalised you.. but I didn't".
I'd like to know, how many more times this actually happens during a game? Where a ref decides it's more important to carry on and let obvious penalties slide than to punish a team for their wrong doings? (besides playing the advantage.)

I understand referees can't catch every single movement on the field, but there's 2 on field, 2 touchies and a vid ref. What I don't understand is the ability to make some of the worst calls with that many pairs of eyes out there, or just plainly miss so much. Then it comes down to the fact we'll forever be asking, did they really miss it.. or did they see it and let it slide?

Is there any possible way of the NRL policing this? I personally think the rules need to be written again in more detail so these refs have no ability to have the slightest impact on the game. When a ref has been given discretion to either penalise or let it play on, it has to be the same choice every single time. Not one set of rules for one day of the week and another for the next.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am still waiting for a scrum penalty, like our one. I remember watching the Dragons/Cowboys game after I got back from the game, and the scrum had broken, but he called it back because they didn't form it properly.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't get me started on the scrums. Most irrelevant, useless waste of time. It's funny how they're so anal about scrums but not other more important issues.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
personally thought they were a disgrace last night.....dont know how the hell parra's first try wasnt sent upstairs....there was clearly no grounding ofthe footy....with them making that call the precedent has been sent that players can score tries without actually grounding the ball.

having so many refs involved in the game surely someone could have said something to suttor to have it checked (mainly looking at the video ref in this situation)...some of the calls that have been made this season have been deadset woeful, borderline pathetic imo

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
alot of rugby league referee decisions are interpretation and not black and white especially involving the ruck and offside penalties, and even the same referee might have a different interpretation for a different game like if its a physical big game he will overlook slight contact that slipped up to the head

its always been like this in every sport to different degrees

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it becomes a problem when it impacts the game.. OK, for example, last night it didn't make much of a diff that he didn't penalise them the first time, but if it was a tied game, or a 2 point difference, this is where it impacts the game greatly. I know there's always going to be the grey area, but I can't see the problem in setting the same precedent for every ref, a little bit more details int he rules and it's clear a fair few things up.

Anyone get a clear view on that tackle on Barba when he jumped up to catch the ball, I think it was Moi Moi that came in and grabbed him? From the glimpse that I got, it looked like he made contact while Barba was still in the air.. Shouldn't that have been a penalty? (I've seen it happen a bit lately, players go in with arms up, but their eyes are on the player in the air which they end up pushing with their shoulder or back. It's one thing to say they're contesting the ball, but the ones I've seen, barely show the player trying to get it before they take out the guy in mid air)

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was the same last week vs Manly, Goodwin went to score a try and they threw him out of touch, but he got picked up and thrown on his head, no penalty, yet normal play you'd be put on report for a dangerous tackle.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It was the same last week vs Manly, Goodwin went to score a try and they threw him out of touch, but he got picked up and thrown on his head, no penalty, yet normal play you'd be put on report for a dangerous tackle.
i think the referee juristiction goes as far as the field of play, if you cross the sidelines and dump someone on his head then its the police who should handle it

goodwin should have called the police

Alphamale

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i think the referee juristiction goes as far as the field of play, if you cross the sidelines and dump someone on his head then its the police who should handle it

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score

How come Harrigan sent Gould off in 1994 from the field when he was coaching Penrith on the sideline? Should Harrigan have called the police to eject Gould instead?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
How come Harrigan sent Gould off in 1994 from the field when he was coaching Penrith on the sideline? Should Harrigan have called the police to eject Gould instead?
Harrigan said to gould he was calling the police and then gould fled the scene

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Harrigan said to gould he was calling the police and then gould fled the scene
So Harrigan wasn't actually pointing his finger in a "send off" manner. He was merely pointing to the cop in the stand. Gotcha ;)

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol did he really send off gould the coach? what did gould do

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol excellent stuff
I would like to know what he said though lol. He reckons he did nothing wrong. I wander if their is audio or what Harrigan had to say about it.

It looks as thought it was the touchies call to send him off lol. Harden up touchie!

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus being ejected....think that game was against the Sharks , when he was
coaching the Panferrs .... they ended up losing 30 nil from memory =P

Status
Not open for further replies.