News Inside story of how the Canterbury Bulldogs blew the chance to sign Payne Haas

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOW THE BULLDOGS BOTCHED HAAS DEAL
It was Des Hasler’s audacious recruitment raid involving Broncos superstar Payne Haas that has proved a $1 million Bulldogs bungle.

Sport Confidential can today lift the lid on a six-year secret – the day incoming Titans coach Hasler, then in charge at the Bulldogs, agreed terms to bring Haas to Belmore.

Incredibly, Haas was ready to defect to the Bulldogs for just $100,000-a-season, with Hasler flying to Brisbane in the latter stages of the 2017 season to complete a stunning poaching raid on the Broncos.

Even more remarkably, the deal sensationally collapsed within days after an internal spat between Hasler and Canterbury’s recruitment-and-retention committee.

A huge fan of the Broncos rookie, who was 17 at the time and yet to play first grade, Hasler held talks with the Haas family and, believing he had his man, returned to Belmore to advise Bulldogs hierarchy of his coup.

Des Hasler almost lured Haas to the Canterbury Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Des Hasler almost lured Haas to the Canterbury Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous

But Canterbury’s recruitment-and-retention committee refused to rubberstamp the deal, blocking the Haas contract as Hasler’s power at Belmore began to decline.

It is understood Hasler contacted Haas to inform him the deal was off. Within weeks, Hasler was sacked by Canterbury hierarchy, officially ending any hope of the Bulldogs securing the most talented young prop in the code.

Flourish logoA Flourish bar chart race
The Broncos then moved to stave off another poaching attempt, with then Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett helping broker a mega six-year extension for the 18-year-old worth $3.4 million.

The Sliding Doors moment has proved costly for the Bulldogs.

With Haas to test his value on the open market from November 1, Canterbury have been linked with the NSW Origin enforcer and now face paying at least $1.1 million a season to prise him from the Broncos.

Payne Haas was almost a Bulldog. Picture: Getty Images

Payne Haas was almost a Bulldog. Picture: Getty Images
Sport Confidential contacted former Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib about the Hasler-Haas saga. Dib, who was sacked in 2018 after an eight-year tenure, could not recall if Canterbury bosses blocked Hasler’s Haas heist.

“It may have been when ‘Crusher’ (Noel) Cleal was there (in recruitment), the name (Payne Haas) doesn’t ring a bell,” Dib said.

“It could have been right.

“I’m not saying 100 per cent we weren’t interested, but I can’t remember for certain.

“I wish we did get him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.”

Former Broncos football boss Ben Ikin, who left Brisbane in May, hopes Haas stays loyal to the club in the face of fresh interest from the Melbourne Storm.

“Payne sets himself some pretty big goals,” Ikin said.

“He is very driven, he is very ambitious, he is very deliberate and if he has some other goal on his mind, then he will go after it.

“I would say as someone who would love to see him stay at the Broncos, I hope that goal in the back of his mind is that he is going to go after premierships with Brisbane.

“I don’t know what other clubs can afford.

“You have to speak to Payne about what his key drivers are at the moment.

“I can’t answer on his behalf, but if it’s money, there might be some massive offers out there that are bigger than he will get from the Broncos.”

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Fake news.
I have heard the same story with Souths, because Burgess didnt call him back, same year.

Yes I remember reading this before now. Gee there's also another story that he was on his way to the Storm to sign a contract when Bennett called him at the airport. How many clubs was he about to sign with and which one first ?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Gee there's also another story that he was on his way to the Storm to sign a contract when Bennett called him at the airport. How many clubs was he about to sign with and which one first ?
Exactly. Next month there will be a story 'Newcastle were about to sign Haas, but the printer wasnt working, and as fate would have it, it was too late by the time it worked again.'.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sliding doors moment which I'm not too disappointed about. Given what was to come from 2018 onwards he would have jumped ship at the first opportunity. At least if we get him soon the club will be in a better position to utilise him for success.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another one the pie thief cleal and Hasler let go to go with over looking Munster and latrel in the process and to let cook leave to keep lichea . It gets better and better wonder how many other kids they overlooked

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another one the pie thief cleal and Hasler let go to go with over looking Munster and latrel in the process and to let cook leave to keep lichea . It gets better and better wonder how many other kids they overlooked
Come on mate .. they did get Woods … [emoji848][emoji15]

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
W
Come on mate .. they did get Woods … [emoji848][emoji15]
Woods was the Aussie prop and feared so it was a grate acquisition.
Dud on the field but he was wanted. Literally like chasing Tino in todays world.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably a good thing he didn’t come anyway. He wouldn’t be quarter the player he is today. He’d be a plodder ruined by the coaching merry go round we’ve had here.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The fact they reached out to Dib and he provided a comment shows how much of **** that fella is. Easy to say no comment Dib you fkn wanker
He's still going on about a pair of doc Martin shoes has-lice gave him then asked for back after he was sacked which dib said he chucked in the bin

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The fact they reached out to Dib and he provided a comment shows how much of **** that fella is. Easy to say no comment Dib you fkn wanker
I think he’s trying to get back into the fold and leaking fake news and stupid sh!t…. He’s probably on here stirring sh!t… any poster consistently bagging all and sundry narrows it down.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he’s trying to get back into the fold and leaking fake news and stupid sh!t…. He’s probably on here stirring sh!t… any poster consistently bagging all and sundry narrows it down.
No .... you don't think ..... @Nasheed is Ray Dib !!!! Waiting for a new burner account to be set up .... AllTheWayWithRay