News Injuries ultimate test for Bulldogs: Coach Ciraldo

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo believes injuries to key players Josh Addo-Carr and Viliame Kikau will provide Canterbury with the "ultimate test" of their culture.

Winger Addo-Carr faces eight weeks on the sidelines with the syndesmosis injury he picked up against Souths last weekend, while premiership-winner Kikau could be out for up to three months after tearing a pectoral muscle at training this week.

English prop Luke Thompson, utility Nu Brown and up-and-coming forwards Franklin Pele and Chris Patolo are among the other Bulldogs sidelined with injuries.

The Bulldogs have been tipped as a chance to break back into the finals under rookie coach Ciraldo this season and have shown flashes of brilliance in wins over Canberra and North Queensland.

But coming off a hefty loss to the Rabbitohs in round six, the under-manned Bulldogs are in for a litmus test against Parramatta this weekend, and in the games that follow.

"This is the ultimate test of our culture," Ciraldo said.

"It's all well and good to talk about how good it is when things are going well.

"But when you're missing a couple of your big-name players and other guys come in and take that opportunity, that's when you really see what your culture stands for, what it represents.

"We've been really strong on that. There are excuses everywhere if we want them, but we're not going to take them."

Ciraldo looked forward to welcoming Kikau into the coaches' box after the premiership-winning second-rower undergoes surgery on Monday.

"It's an opportunity for Kiks to develop himself off the field," he said.

"Pretty quickly after (surgery) he'll come in and still play that leadership role amongst the team and still give advice where he can.

"But he'll also work closely with the coaches and try and develop himself in that regard.

"It's a real growth opportunity for him and he's quite excited about that, as disappointed as he is not to be playing."

Forward Tevita Pangai Jr will play his first game of the season against the Eels on Sunday after recovering from a persistent calf injury.

Ciraldo has known the Tonga international since he was a 13-year-old.

Pangai joined Penrith mid-season in 2021, while Ciraldo was an assistant, with the now Canterbury mentor looking forward to presiding over the player as a head coach for the first time on Sunday.

"We saw a fair bit of him when he was 13 and always knew he was going to be a special talent," Ciraldo said.

"It's funny how our paths have crossed a couple of times since. I'm really glad that I get to work with him again.

"It's unfortunate that he's missed the first six rounds but I'm confident we're going to see the best of Tevita Pangai Jr this year."

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo believes injuries to key players Josh Addo-Carr and Viliame Kikau will provide Canterbury with the "ultimate test" of their culture.

Winger Addo-Carr faces eight weeks on the sidelines with the syndesmosis injury he picked up against Souths last weekend, while premiership-winner Kikau could be out for up to three months after tearing a pectoral muscle at training this week.

English prop Luke Thompson, utility Nu Brown and up-and-coming forwards Franklin Pele and Chris Patolo are among the other Bulldogs sidelined with injuries.

The Bulldogs have been tipped as a chance to break back into the finals under rookie coach Ciraldo this season and have shown flashes of brilliance in wins over Canberra and North Queensland.

But coming off a hefty loss to the Rabbitohs in round six, the under-manned Bulldogs are in for a litmus test against Parramatta this weekend, and in the games that follow.

"This is the ultimate test of our culture," Ciraldo said.

"It's all well and good to talk about how good it is when things are going well.

"But when you're missing a couple of your big-name players and other guys come in and take that opportunity, that's when you really see what your culture stands for, what it represents.

"We've been really strong on that. There are excuses everywhere if we want them, but we're not going to take them."

Ciraldo looked forward to welcoming Kikau into the coaches' box after the premiership-winning second-rower undergoes surgery on Monday.

"It's an opportunity for Kiks to develop himself off the field," he said.

"Pretty quickly after (surgery) he'll come in and still play that leadership role amongst the team and still give advice where he can.

"But he'll also work closely with the coaches and try and develop himself in that regard.

"It's a real growth opportunity for him and he's quite excited about that, as disappointed as he is not to be playing."

Forward Tevita Pangai Jr will play his first game of the season against the Eels on Sunday after recovering from a persistent calf injury.

Ciraldo has known the Tonga international since he was a 13-year-old.

Pangai joined Penrith mid-season in 2021, while Ciraldo was an assistant, with the now Canterbury mentor looking forward to presiding over the player as a head coach for the first time on Sunday.

"We saw a fair bit of him when he was 13 and always knew he was going to be a special talent," Ciraldo said.

"It's funny how our paths have crossed a couple of times since. I'm really glad that I get to work with him again.

"It's unfortunate that he's missed the first six rounds but I'm confident we're going to see the best of Tevita Pangai Jr this year."
I really like Ciraldo, Baz would have jumped to the chance of excuses last year, Ciraldo is a real class act, once you pull on this jersey, no excuses you do your job. Really liked him so far for us.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo is making all the right moves. No excuses. Holding the players accountable. Quietly confident we win tomorrow. The boys will be looking for a win, the bounce back factor will be in play tomorrow.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think CC is getting more comfortable each and every week telling the facts in the media to show his boys that I can’t protect you guys anymore, work hard, respect each other, trust each other and we will win games. No matter who’s playing. That’s the mindset CC will instill in us to be that top 8 team with ease

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a feeling this no excuse policy CC has means that if certain people keep fucking up or not doing their job e.g. providing try opportunities (assists, finishing off sets with correct kicking options) then they will be dropped soon enough (Rajeb and Karl O are waiting for their chance).
Thats why I also think Waddell has stopped his penalties and dropped balls, because Ciraldo holds them to account or will hopefully replace them with someone better who will do their job.
I look forward to seeing our team come together in the next few seasons. Do your job or get the fuck out of our squad!

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a feeling this no excuse policy CC has means that if certain people keep fucking up or not doing their job e.g. providing try opportunities (assists, finishing off sets with correct kicking options) then they will be dropped soon enough (Rajeb and Karl O are waiting for their chance).
Thats why I also think Waddell has stopped his penalties and dropped balls, because Ciraldo holds them to account or will hopefully replace them with someone better who will do their job.
I look forward to seeing our team come together in the next few seasons. Do your job or get the fuck out of our squad!
Maybe we will also see the best of TPJ because of Ciraldos vision. We can only hope. TPJ these are your instructions:
DO - steamroll *****, offload when its on and intimidate within the laws of the game.
DONT - give away fucked up penalties and go for hero plays if it's not the right time

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe we will also see the best of TPJ because of Ciraldos vision. We can only hope. TPJ these are your instructions:
DO - steamroll *****, offload when its on and intimidate within the laws of the game.
DONT - give away fucked up penalties and go for hero plays if it's not the right time
Allegedly has good rapport with CC so yes lets hope he rips in and provides a point of difference.
Also happy to see Davey on the bench he is genuine FG quality from games I saw when playing 2nd row for Manly, started for them 18 times last year.