Injuries cruel Tigers win over Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri suffered a suspected broken arm in Saturday night's N

Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri suffered a suspected broken arm in Saturday night's NRL clash against Canberra at Campbelltown Stadium.

Tuqiri left the field in the 50th minute after reeling out of a tackle holding his arm, with the Tigers leading 18-10.

Doctor Donald Kuah indicated Tuqiri had a suspected break in his forearm, with scans pending next week.

http://www.nrl.com/tuqiri-suffers-suspected-broken-arm/tabid/10874/newsid/61952/default.aspx

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
But wait theres more ...

Lawrence stretchered.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Campbelltown Hospital be busy tonight ... and with Kenneally out there goes $190million in funding.
So I imagine they'll be really motivated.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Chris Lawrence was rushed by ambulance to Campbelltown Hospital with his right hip still dislocated as a shocking night of injuries took the gloss off Wests Tigers' 34-24 NRL win over Canberra on Saturday night.

In dramatic scenes outside a sombre Tigers dressing room, a heavily-sedated Lawrence was taken away by ambulance officers with his family by his side - the Test centre's NRL season now in doubt just days after signing a new five-year deal with the club.

His ugly injury - which occurred with just six minutes on the clock as he twisted awkwardly under the weight of a two-man tackle - was compounded by a suspected broken arm suffered by left-edge teammate Lote Tuqiri.

The comfortable win was almost forgotten in a dressing room which looked more like the Tigers were the losing side.

"It's still dislocated and they're taking him to the hospital, they'll need to get him under general anaesthetic to be able to manipulate it back," Sheens said of Lawrence.

"It's very disappointing for the kid and the team to lose our left edge ... but the players have got to come to grips with understanding we've got another game next week."

Asked when Lawrence would likely get back on the field, Sheens said: "I've seen two or three in my time and they've all come back, he'll be back this season.

"When is hard to say, it will depend on the amount of damage done."

While disappointed, Sheens excused his troops for allowing the Raiders to add some respectability to the scoreline late in the game, their 34-10 lead more indicative of the home side's dominance.

"I noticed when Chris went off it really had an impact on the players," skipper Robbie Farah said.

"He was in a fair bit of pain and the boys were pretty worried.

"I think instead of closing out the game we had our minds elsewhere."

Tuqiri revealed he suffered the break to his radius late in the first half, but didn't think much of the injury at the time.

"I thought I'd be okay, I thought it was a bit of a knock that would go away quite quickly," Tuqiri said.

"The first tackle in that second half I got a knock on it again and it was just killer pain again."

Around the injuries Benji Marshall delivered a masterclass, setting up three of his side's six tries as the Raiders slumped to back-to-back losses.

With the game gone the Raiders came home with a wet sail as Blake Ferguson completed a hat-trick, including a stunning 90-metre run to the line, their round one win over Cronulla but a distant memory.

Veteran recruit Matt Orford endured a night he'd rather forget with some costly errors, while Josh Dugan capped his return from a calf complaint with a late four-pointer.

Raiders coach David Furner slammed his side over their inability to hang on to the ball, admitting the final scoreline didn't reflect the Tigers' superiority.

"It did flatter us a bit the scoreboard," Furner said.

"We've got to build on pressure and our last plays, they're a side that you have to play at their end of the field."

http://www.nrl.com/injuries-cruel-tigers-win-over-raiders/tabid/10874/newsid/61954/default.aspx

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Hope Lawrence is all right, wish him all the best & a speedy recovery!

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked very awkward but hopefully he's alright and it isnt very serious.

It was pretty much with 6 minutes LEFT in the game and i couldv'e sworn it was a one on one tackle.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Dislocated Hip.. VERY painful... about 2 - 3 months recovery and that's if no bones are fractured or chipped badly.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tigers vow to give Lawrence incentive

Wests Tigers players who must battle to stay in NRL finals contention have vowed to give injured teammates Chris Lawrence and Lote Tuqiri something to come back to.

Lawrence and Tuqiri were both casualties of Saturday night's 34-24 win over Canberra at Campbelltown.

Lawrence is the biggest concern after being rushed to hospital with a dislocated hip while Tuqiri will learn the results of scans on his suspected broken arm on Monday.

But Tigers officials and players are already resigned to being without the key left side duo for the foreseeable future.

While Tuqiri should be back within a couple of months, the fate of Lawrence is unknown, and with the Tigers having got their campaign back on track with back to back wins, his teammates are now desperate to stay near the head of the ladder as they await his return.

"For sure, he deserves that," prop Keith Galloway said.

"He started the season on fire, he's been such a threat at the line. We all just feel for him. We'll help him out emotionally over the next few days and do our best.

"We feel for him immensely, just how tough he is, he was very disappointed but he's a professional, he'll do everything he can to get back on the field as quick as he can."

Coach Tim Sheens noted how his side dropped off to concede three late tries following Lawrence's departure, but said it was imperative his squad regrouped ahead of the round four clash against the Sydney Roosters.

"It would have been a waste for Chris had we lost the game (against Canberra) or if we lose next week because of it," Sheens said.

"Chris has already set his mind to be back. He's in huge pain in there and all he's talking about is 'I'll be back, I'll be back' - if anything we've got to do it for guys like Chris and Lote.

"We've got to learn to be able to play and shut it out."

Giving Sheens the belief that his side could overcome their absence - as well as that of Gareth Ellis (ankle), Bryce Gibbs (knee) and Liam Fulton (shoulder) - is the depth of talent at his disposal.

"Geoff Daniela and Mitch Brown are two to start with to be considered, Timmy Moltzen can play centre, he played there (against Canberra)," Sheens said.

"Mind you, they're quality players we're talking about here - they played for Australia last year so.

"The strength of our club has been exactly that, the boys that have come up.

"Geoff Daniela did a great job last year and Mitch Brown is unlucky not to be in the squad.

"We'll put it back together again but our injury toll is quite an extensive one."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-vow-to-give-lawrence-incentive-20110327-1cbni.html

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lawrence in limbo after dislocation

WEST TIGERS centre Chris Lawrence will have to wait at least six weeks before he knows the full extent of the damage he suffered after dislocating his hip on Saturday night.

Lawrence suffered the injury, said to be one of the most painful possible, late in the Tigers' 34-24 win over Canberra, and spent most of yesterday in Campbelltown Hospital. He faces missing the season, but frustratingly will have little idea how his recovery is progressing for at least six weeks. Only then will he know whether blood supply has returned to the joint.

Lawrence, who had scored four tries in his opening three matches, will have a CT scan this week to ensure there was no fracture to add to the dislocation, which will put an even higher price on the Tigers' second victory of the season.

The 22-year-old was given Valium after being taken from the field, and required another dose when he was loaded into the ambulance. The joint was manipulated back into place at Campbelltown Hospital about two hours later.

That will be crucial when it comes to the time Lawrence is off the park. Lawrence and the club's medical staff will be mindful that he does not contract avascular necrosis, where the blood flow does not properly return to the joint area.

''It doesn't show itself for six to eight weeks,'' Tigers doctor Donald Kuah said. ''It takes that long to establish whether the blood supply is compromised. That's just something we need to wait on. It's not the usual thing where I can say he'll definitely be back in eight weeks. It will vary according to the severity of it.

''The way to avoid it [avascular necrosis] is to put it back in as soon as possible. The threshold is about two to three hours, so Chris had it put back in that time frame.''

Kuah conceded the most severe damage could be career-threatening, but there was a chance Lawrence might return in about three months.

The other issue clouding his prognosis is the fact the injury is so rare. Kuah said a Western Suburbs lower grader, Nu Akeripa, suffered the injury early in the season a few years ago and played again that season. In the NRL, Ivan Cleary suffered the injury while playing for the Roosters in 1999. He did the damage in a trial match in February, and returned to the field in August.

Ross Conlon, who suffered a dislocated hip while with Canterbury in 1983, saw no reason Lawrence would not be back to his best.

Conlon sent Lawrence a message yesterday to urge him to stay positive. ''I've got a fairly good understanding of what he's going through,'' he said. ''It's a terrible injury, it's incredibly painful and it's very rare, but I got back on the field and played for another 10 years, and I didn't have any detrimental effects. From a young bloke's point of view, it must be incredibly disappointing, but if the process is followed he'll have no problems.

''I did it in the first week of the semis in '83. I spent a couple of weeks in hospital and in traction. I was on crutches for a while but I was back on the field by about round four or five in '84. I would imagine the medical facilities and recovery are far better nowadays, too. I can't see any reason why he won't get back to his best. I'm sure he'll be back bigger and better than ever.''

Lawrence's left-side winger, Lote Tuqiri, will have X-rays tomorrow to confirm a broken arm, although Kuah is almost certain that was the damage he suffered, which might keep him off the field for more than two months, depending on the type of treatment it needs.

''I could feel the two bones moving under my hands,'' Kuah said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...n-limbo-after-dislocation-20110327-1cbzk.html

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Horrific injury threatens Chris Lawrence's career

WESTS Tigers doctor Donald Kuah is hopeful Chris Lawrence will be back this season - but admitted the boom centre's hip injury was serious enough to possibly end his career.

Chris Lawrence dislocated his right hip on Saturday night against the Raiders, and it was not until hours later that doctors at Campbelltown Hospital were able to put his hip back into place.

The 22-year-old will undergo scans today, as will Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri with a broken arm, but Kuah doubted Lawrence's injury would be season-ending.

Kuah, however, said his major concern was the possible onset of avascular necrosis, which in an extreme case can affect blood supply to the hip area and all but end a professional sporting career."That's the worst-case scenario, but the majority of these injuries are not career-ending," Kuah said.

"I doubt he's gone for the season. Three months is a reasonable time frame. He'll definitely be out for six weeks because we won't know anything until then because an avascular necrosis complication doesn't show itself until such time."

Lawrence only last week signed a new five-year deal with the Tigers, crossed for a try against Canberra and looked in red-hot form down the left side with Tuqiri and five-eighth Benji Marshall in the Tigers' 34-24 triumph over Canberra.

Tuqiri left the field in the 50th minute after breaking his arm and once Lawrence departed in the 75th minute the Raiders raced in three late tries to make the scoreboard more respectable.

Coach Tim Sheens said he would wait to check on the pair's progress today before he started to ponder their replacements for next week's match against the Roosters at the SFS.

Sheens said that during his lengthy career he had never come across a player who had dislocated his hip, but was relieved when told the hip socket was not fractured.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...lawrences-career/story-e6frexnr-1226029033607

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DAMN! I REALLY hope this won't end his career. He's young and one of the best centres in the game. Hope he gets well soon.

On Tuqiri ..... Meh.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He should be OK. Here's hoping for the best.

It's a shame, his career was on a big rise, set to do big things this year. Hopefully he can return to form when he gets back on the park.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lcuky he signed that 5 year contract with the tigers. Now he can just concentrate on rehab,

otherwise his price would have plumetted and his career would have been on the rocks for sure

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really feel sorry for Chris Lawrence, the guy has so much potential.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lcuky he signed that 5 year contract with the tigers. Now he can just concentrate on rehab,

otherwise his price would have plumetted and his career would have been on the rocks for sure
VERY good point. I don't think it would effect his price that much but definitely the duration of his contract.

I'm glad he re-signed for 5 years. An absolute gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.