News Injured Bulldog gets a break as competition for fullback intensifies

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been a fan of this forum for over a dozen years, whippersnap. For the most part I’ve been an optimistic and patient fan. Phil Gould is robbing this place of its identity, he is making a mockery of the ethos of the family club, he is trying to turn the joint into a cheap Penrith knock off, and he is making bad recruitment decisions in the process. If you want to call me a tool for making these basic, on point observations, that’s ok. I’m thinking you’re not a person whose strength is judgment, anyway lololol
@Flanagun we are moving so far away from the club we once were. I can understand the blind folded attitude of many. It's a way of coping. The NRL passed Gould by years ago. Gould still has a presence in juniors. We are buying junior comps. Will these players progress? NRL coaching and NRL development been the issues at the club. The juniors, lower grades and development teams have been strong for decades including 2020 before Covid ended an undefeated HM premiership. Because fans don't really understand the term pathways it's easy to throw around to buy time and not allow the flaws to come through.

All the signings except for Crichton not wanted by previous clubs and not in top 13. We are buying luxuries and cast offs. @04 Dreaming said it so well elsewhere.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This guy will be a revelation at fb we will be so much stronger with critta at centre

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How did we start climbing our way back when we ended up with the spoon?
2024 hasn’t kicked off yet and you’re making judgments. We need to buy players as our juniors aren’t good enough for first grade yet.
We were finally able to afford some decent players again and were building something with Potter running the show. The players were showing passion, energy and belief. Gus’s solution was to get rid of Potter from the top job and hire an untried first grade coach from Penrith for five years. Aforementioned untried coach proceeded to oversee our worst defensive season in my living memory, despite being touted as a defensive coach. Gus and aforementioned untried coach are now trying to rebuild the club by turning us into a cosplay Penrith side by signing just about any panther who comes onto the market…. Except the prop, which is the position we most desperately need to fill. That’s some first rate shovel work lol

We will never beat Penrith at being Penrith by signing guys who are good, but not their best players. The club needs to reestablish its own identity.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were finally able to afford some decent players again and were building something with Potter running the show. The players were showing passion, energy and belief. Gus’s solution was to get rid of Potter from the top job and hire an untried first grade coach from Penrith for five years. Aforementioned untried coach proceeded to oversee our worst defensive season in my living memory, despite being touted as a defensive coach. Gus and aforementioned untried coach are now trying to rebuild the club by turning us into a cosplay Penrith side by signing just about any panther who comes onto the market…. Except the prop, which is the position we most desperately need to fill. That’s some first rate shovel work lol

We will never beat Penrith at being Penrith by signing guys who are good, but not their best players. The club needs to reestablish its own identity.
@Flanagun many years ago we were a distant 3rd to Parramatta and Manly. Warren Ryan was appointed coach. He dismantled the entertainers. He set out making Canterbury into its own style not a poor version of others and totally removed from the entertainers. Like Ivan Cleary ripped up the dysfunctional 5yr plan and made Penrith into a machine. Ryan recruited Lamb plus a beverage of forwards led by Tunks, Kelly, Brohman, Battese and Bugden. The club also had Potter, Langmack, Gillespie, O’Brien and Hagan coming through the pathways. It worked. Canterbury created the dogs of war era that lasted upwards of 3 decades.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Potters record wasn’t any good, and how do you know we aren’t trying to sign props?
How do you reestablish our own identity while competing and bringing up juniors?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Potters record wasn’t any good, and how do you know we aren’t trying to sign props?
How do you reestablish our own identity while competing and bringing up juniors?
lol the team was going great under Potter. So much more energy and commitment than we saw under Barrett or Ciraldo. Sure we copped some big losses, but you’d expect that with the roster we had and an unfriendly schedule. The commitment and passion from the players was there for all to see and we produced some really good performances as a result.

Of course we have to buy some players to help us compete in the short term, but all of our marquee signings or targets have come from Penrith…that’s not recruitment, that’s trying to steal another club’s culture. And it isn’t going to work.

Last edited:

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lol the team was going great under Potter. So much more energy and commitment than we saw under Barrett or Ciraldo. Sure we copped some big losses, but you’d expect that with the roster we had and an unfriendly schedule. The commitment and passion from the players was there for all to see and we produced some really good performances as a result.

Of course we have to buy some players to help us compete in the short term, but Al isn’t all of our margue signings or targets have come from Penrith…that’s not recruitment, that’s trying to steal another club’s culture. And it isn’t going to work.
How was the team going great under potter?
So much energy cause they played without any pressure knowing they weren’t making the finals.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The timing of us having cash to splurge came at possibly the worst time. The introduction of a new team and a bigger salary cap has meant the market is pretty bare in a few areas. Overall I think our recruitment has been incredible under the circumstances. There's still gaps in the roster. But there's time before kick off. Don't be surprised if someone good pops up and we pounce.

As far as trying to replicate Penrith goes, they've actually used our blueprint from the Bullfrog era to get to where they are. Might seem like we're trying to transplant their success by buying players from there. But you acquire quality from where you can and use any advantage in your arsenal. If we used the relationships between players and both Gould and Ciraldo to get good players, it's smart business. We're looking like a more appealing destination for quality players despite our poor season.

I'd have been ok with extending Potter for a year. But we'll have to hold out a bit to see if we're a vastly improved side next year or not. If we don't improve defensive effort a lot I'd say CC will be feeling nervous every time admin want to speak with him. But ideally the side will exceed expectations and at least stay in finals contention throughout the year.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The timing of us having cash to splurge came at possibly the worst time. The introduction of a new team and a bigger salary cap has meant the market is pretty bare in a few areas. Overall I think our recruitment has been incredible under the circumstances. There's still gaps in the roster. But there's time before kick off. Don't be surprised if someone good pops up and we pounce.

As far as trying to replicate Penrith goes, they've actually used our blueprint from the Bullfrog era to get to where they are. Might seem like we're trying to transplant their success by buying players from there. But you acquire quality from where you can and use any advantage in your arsenal. If we used the relationships between players and both Gould and Ciraldo to get good players, it's smart business. We're looking like a more appealing destination for quality players despite our poor season.

I'd have been ok with extending Potter for a year. But we'll have to hold out a bit to see if we're a vastly improved side next year or not. If we don't improve defensive effort a lot I'd say CC will be feeling nervous every time admin want to speak with him. But ideally the side will exceed expectations and at least stay in finals contention throughout the year.
You make a good point regarding Penrith using our blueprint just before they won their first premiership

Let's not forget the Panthers recruited Chris Mortimer, Peter Kelly, Peter Tunks and Paul Dunn in the late 80's early 90's to bring some tough nuts and winning culture to the club just before they won their first premiership in 1991

I've heard Greg Alexander talk about the positive impact Mortimer and Kelly had on the club

What goes around comes around and it's now our turn to recruit some players from their winning culture to help our rebuild

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
‘Unfriendly schedule’ :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:.
Although word vomit, you gotta admit #ClownCrew desperation provides some serious amusement :-).
It was all a setup by Gould.

He used his influence to force an unfriendly schedule so they could get rid of Potter and he could bring his man in.

#sack Gus

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It was all a setup by Gould.

He used his influence to force an unfriendly schedule so they could get rid of Potter and he could bring his man in.
Man’s a genius.
#ClownCrew arguing otherwise is futile :-).

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man’s a genius.
#ClownCrew arguing otherwise is futile :-).
I think we have been too hard on them.

The TROLL SQUAD are the only ones who could see this from the beginning.

Biggest bunch of geniuses since Oppenheimer to be able to see what the rest of us can't.

I am in awe at the vision