If you could sign 1 "available" elite player for 2024 who would it be ?

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nathan Cleary, Tedesco, or Reece Walsh. In that order

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's interesting isn't it.
He is on $625k (according to Zero Tackle) is he demanding too much money?
Has Bellamy spotted something that others haven't, hence his free agent status?
I have watched all of Melbourne's games and he appears to be not himself, particularly in defence.
Does he have a long term injury?
In addition to the high grade MCL injury that will take ~8 weeks to rehab?
Is he slacking off in training?
Being a dick head in general?
Does he have a $big offer from Union and they are keeping it quiet for some reason?

Always a Bulldog
Union wouldn’t surprise me. They are desperate

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Asofa-Solomona (Storm), Bullemoor (Manly), Baker (Roosters), Kerr (Dragons)

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus said a couple of weeks ago that we have enough cap for next year to buy 1 more elite player. Below is a list of the NRL players still available. If you could buy 1 player to have the greatest impact for our team next year who would it be ?

I was thinking Jack Wighton but I think he'd be a bit too expensive so I'll go NAS. He would be HUGE for us (for anybody)

BRISBANE BRONCOS
Players off contract: 8

Corey Oates (PO 2024/2025), Ethan Quai, Jesse Arthars, Jordan Pereira, Logan Bayliss, Josh Rogers, Tyson Smoothy, Martin Taupau

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Players off contract: 13

Bailey Biondi-Odo, Braidon Burns, Brandon Clarke, Kyle Flanagan, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Luke Thompson, Corey Waddell, Declan Casey, Jake Averillo, Samuel Hughes, Joseph O'Neill, Josh Reynolds

CANBERRA RAIDERS
Players off contract: 12

Adrien Trevilyan, Albert Hopoate, Brad Schneider, Clay Webb, Emre Guler, Jack Wighton (PO 2024), Jarrod Croker (PO 2024), Jordan Rapana, Matt Frawley, Peter Hola (MO 2024), Tom Starling (PO 2024), Jayden Clarkson

CRONULLA SHARKS
Players off contract: 10

Jayden Berrell, Matt Ikuvalu, Mawene Hiroti, Royce Hunt (PO 2024), Sione Katoa, Teig Wilton, Wade Graham, William Kennedy, Josh Finau, Sam Stonestreet

DOLPHINS
Players off contract: 6

Herman Ese'ese (PO 2024), JJ Collins, Oliver Gildart, Poasa Faamausili, Tesi Niu, Michael Roberts

GOLD COAST TITANS
Players off contract: 7

Jacob Alick (CO 2024), Tony Francis, Patrick Herbert, Brian Kelly, Alofiana Khan-Pereira, Sam McIntyre, Joseph Vuna

MANLY SEA EAGLES
Players off contract: 12

Alec Tu'itavake, Ben Trbojevic, Brad Parker, Ethan Bullemor, Kaeo Weekes, Morgan Boyle, Morgan Harper, Raymond Vaega, Samuela Fainu, Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Jacob Sykes, Jamie Humphreys

MELBOURNE STORM
Players off contract: 11

Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Jayden Nikorima, Jordan Grant, Josh King, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Tariq Sims, Tepai Moeroa, Tom Eisenhuth (CO 2024), Will Warbrick, Cole Geyer

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
Players off contract: 6

Adam Pompey, Bayley Sironen, Edward Kosi, Marcelo Montoya, Shaun Johnson, Demitric Sifakula

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
Players off contract: 14

Adam Clune, Bailey Hodgson, Brodie Jones, Dylan Lucas (PO 2024), Enari Tuala, Hymel Hunt, Jack Johns, Kurt Mann, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Tyson Frizell, Chris Vea'ila, Kobe Rugless, Miles Martin, Tavita Toloi

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
Players off contract: 16

Ben Hampton, Brendan Elliot, Gehamat Shibasaki, Jack Gosiewski, Jake Bourke, Jake Granville, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, James Tamou, Jordan McLean, Jordan Lipp, Laitia Moceidreke, Mitch Dunn, Peta Hiku, Riley Price, Taniela Sadrugu, Ragarive Wavik

PARRAMATTA EELS
Players off contract: 9

Bailey Simonsson (CO 2024), Bryce Cartwright, Josh Hodgson (CO 2024), Mitchell Moses (PO 2024), Mitch Rein, Ofahiki Ogden (CO 2024), Samuel Loizou, Waqa Blake, Wiremu Greig

PENRITH PANTHERS
Players off contract: 9

Chris Smith, Eddie Blacker, Jack Cogger, Jaeman Salmon, Scott Sorensen, Soni Luke, Thomas Jenkins, Tyrone Peachey, Mavrik Geyer

SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS
Players off contract: 8

Blake Taaffe, Dean Hawkins, Hame Sele, Jacob Host, Jed Cartwright, Liam Knight, Michael Chee Kam, Terrell Kalo Kalo

ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Aaron Woods, Billy Burns, Jack de Belin (PO 2024), Jacob Liddle, Josh Kerr, Michael Molo (MO 2024), Mikaele Ravalawa (PO 2024), Moses Mbye, Nick Tui-Loso, Tautau Moga, Tyrell Fuimaono, Conor Muhleisen, Sione Finau

SYDNEY ROOSTERS

Nathan Brown, Billy Smith, Connor Watson, Corey Allan, Daniel Tupou, Drew Hutchison, Fletcher Baker, Jake Turpin, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Jaxson Paulo (PO 2024), Joseph Suaalii (PO 2024), Thomas Deakin, Vuate Karawalevu

WESTS TIGERS
Players off contract: 11

Alex Seyfarth, Apisalome Saukuru, Charlie Staines, Daine Laurie, Ken Maumalo (MO 2024), Luke Brooks, Tommy Talau, Tuki Simpkins, Christian Ma'anaima, Josh Feledy, Kitione Kautoga
We Need Middles & a 7, but unfortunately there are no world class 7's available.

So, I'd be happy with either of the 2 following scenarios for around the same money give or take $100k -

Option 1. Nelson Asofa-Solomona - probably around $850k to compete with other clubs in the market for him.

OR - But Most Likely the following scenario

Option 2. 2 players from the following 3 - Royce Hunt, Emre Guler, Josh Kerr.

Very interesting piece of information I got from down here in the ACT regarding your comment on Jack Wighton.

As Jack is now 30, he realises that his next contract is the most important one in his entire career & most likely his last big money deal.
Up until now he has never entertained the thought of leaving Canberra and heading to the big smoke with his 3 kids & soon to be wife.
But like all footballers the desire to win a premiership burns deep within, so to get the best deal & another shot at the title may not be in Canberra.
I do know as fact that he is looking at all his options as any player would, but I don't know with who.
To me, it wouldn't make sense considering us with the players we have just invested in.
He's not a 7 he is a left side 6 or 4. In fact his favorite position is left centre, but as we know that doesn't bring the big bucks home so he sells as a 6.
With all the klm's required at Fullback I think his days at 1 are also long gone.

With all this said, my Guess would be (and it's an absolute guess with no inside info) that he may end up in one of the following 3 teams who are currently in or entering a premiership window -

1st. Roosters (of course) - 2 trains of thought here
Do they piss Suaalii of early & play Jack at left centre, keeping Keary knowing they have a world class back up 6 if Keary has injury/concussion issues?
Do they Tap Keary & retire him or move him on so Jack takes the 6 jumper.
They are definitely a premiership contender for at least 3 to 4 years.... if not always.

2nd. Sharks - They have Moylan signed for 2024 & just recently re signed Trindall until the end of 2025 but could easily move Trindall on if they wanted.
Definitely a premiership contender for at least 3 to 4 years with Hynes firing and Jack has worked with Craig Fitzgibbon previously at Origin level.

3rd. Broncos - With Adam Reynolds contract ending after the 2024 season, they could easily park Jack at left centre with Herbie Farnworth leaving next year & play him at 6 in 2025 along side Ezra Mam in 7.
With Jacks partners family based in QLD, the move to Brissy might suit Jack more than a move to the crazy city of Sydney.

IMO, every other club in a current premiership window has a long term 6 in place and therefore won't offer the money that these 3 possibly would.

If it comes down to money & being settled here in town I think that he could stay in Canberra but I think they are a long way off winning the comp.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw this.

I swear these muppets at the telegraph get their information from the Kennel and follow up on our leads.

Screenshot_20230328_144154_Messages.jpg

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is jack wighton a 7 but i would rather get george williams we need a big name halfback

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need 2 x props and potentially a halfback . Depends wether KO is viewed as our long term half back or is he gonna play 6 or 13?

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Re-sign;
Jayden Okunbor (2 years - Cup)
Chris Patolo (2 years - Cup)

Sign
Emre Guler (2 years)
NAS (4 years)
Scott Sorensen (2 years)

#8 King
#10 NAS
#11 Kikau
#12 Preston
#13 Sutton

#14 TPJ
#15 RFM
#16 Guler
#17 Sorensen

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
List is old and outdated.

Sualii is no longer in the game in 2024.
Woods has signed with Manly already.

From that list though I'd look at young Mavrik Geyer if he's open to changing clubs.

It's unlikely, but what I've seen from him, he offers a hell of a lot.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
List is old and outdated.

Sualii is no longer in the game in 2024.
Woods has signed with Manly already.

From that list though I'd look at young Mavrik Geyer if he's open to changing clubs.

It's unlikely, but what I've seen from him, he offers a hell of a lot.
The other blonde haired front rower at panther reggies is better than Geyer.

Gizmo

Hero's r Zero's
Reaction score
For mine, I'd target Shaun Johnson and big Nelson.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sorry but I'm not available and the club couldn't afford me.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh i read that from 2004... lol... Anyways my answer is Sherwin.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shocking list tbh
NAS and wighton only star players on there and we arent getting them