If only we could trade players like in the MLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching the teams who've progressed to this years Grand Final, being the best 2 teams, I compare their squads to our squad and must acknowledge that we are not on the same page as them. Next year with less interchange will only highlight our problems more.

Commentators this year marvelled at how big our side was. I cringed at how fat and unfit we looked.

Does a team, to be competitive, really have to have a roster that includes Graham, Tolman, Kasiano, Klemmer and Browne? Really?5 props? wtf....nobody else has 5 friggen props!! Throw in Eastwood, Pritchard, SheRex and Lane...we are bordering on the ridiculous.
Who has overseen this and allowed it to occur? At the same time, we have ordinary halves.

When a team gets so out of kilter in the MLB, a team would make a trade with another team that has the talent they need. To make such a trade sweet enough, Id approach the Broncos and tell them we would give them Reynolds, Mbye, Kasiano and She-Rex for Hunt and Milford. I know who would be getting the better deal!!!

Seriously, does anyone know if NRL contracts allow a team to trade players mid contract like this?, or are NRL contracts club specific in accordance with reports that say that Farah can decide to stay at Tigers and play reserve grade if need be, rather than be forced to go to another club.

Wish the NRL went with these MLB type contracts.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Trades/drafts were allowed until the 90's when Terry Hill got traded/drafted to the Roosters and he sued the NSWRL. He won and trading/drafting was banned.
it's a constraint of trade and illegal.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trades/drafts were allowed until the 90's when Terry Hill got traded/drafted to the Roosters and he sued the NSWRL. He won and trading/drafting was banned.
it's a constraint of trade and illegal.
that's interesting !! and I can understand why it would illegal sounds like slave trading

Last edited by a moderator:

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the teams who've progressed to this years Grand Final, being the best 2 teams, I compare their squads to our squad and must acknowledge that we are not on the same page as them. Next year with less interchange will only highlight our problems more.

Commentators this year marvelled at how big our side was. I cringed at how fat and unfit we looked.

Does a team, to be competitive, really have to have a roster that includes Graham, Tolman, Kasiano, Klemmer and Browne? Really?5 props? wtf....nobody else has 5 friggen props!! Throw in Eastwood, Pritchard, SheRex and Lane...we are bordering on the ridiculous.
Who has overseen this and allowed it to occur? At the same time, we have ordinary halves.

When a team gets so out of kilter in the MLB, a team would make a trade with another team that has the talent they need. To make such a trade sweet enough, Id approach the Broncos and tell them we would give them Reynolds, Mbye, Kasiano and She-Rex for Hunt and Milford. I know who would be getting the better deal!!!

Seriously, does anyone know if NRL contracts allow a team to trade players mid contract like this?, or are NRL contracts club specific in accordance with reports that say that Farah can decide to stay at Tigers and play reserve grade if need be, rather than be forced to go to another club.

I know what Wayne Bemnets response would be.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Current system is far from perfect but I could never agree with a Draft or trade type system. Turns players into pieces of meat. There's not enough loyalty in the game as it is.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MLB isn't one single competition though, it's comprise of all the Farming teams so there's a lot more players to choose from, sometimes they trade players in AAA teams for a starting team player. When you have that many people under the umbrella of one organisation it makes the player turnover rate a lot higher and so the trade system isn't as frowned upon plus their contracts are in the hundreds of millions at times and almost every team can handle a contract of that magnitude, how would that workout in the nrl?

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lol Bennet would then tell you to be careful the door doesn't hit you on the way out

I like the idea of a trade window but using a childhood analogy you may remember the temptation of swapping one of your best footy trading cards (the one with the hologram that no one else had) for a complete set minus that one. Sounds tempting but you say no thanks. Bennet won't let go of Hunt and Milford.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't really have trades without a draft. I hope the NRL never has one because I don't see how it helps in AFL. I don't follow it closely but it seems it is always the same four teams Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood & Geelong winning the title. If that was NRL we'd get left behind because we're not the favoured like other clubs

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You can't really have trades without a draft. I hope the NRL never has one because I don't see how it helps in AFL. I don't follow it closely but it seems it is always the same four teams Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood & Geelong winning the title. If that was NRL we'd get left behind because we're not the favoured like other clubs
It works brilliantly in the AFL. Collingwood haven't been a contender in like 4 years and Geelong didn't even make the finals this year.

The only way it could work though is if no NRL team had anything to do with juniors as they should be available for the draft.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The West Coast Eagles and Hawthorn that played today's GF built their rosters through the draft. Hawthorn is an old team now though and today was probably their last title for the next 5 years.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the advantage Bennett had by being on the rules committee which changed the ruck interpretation just before the season started. Bennett had time to alter his squad and come up with a suitable game plan and implement it at preseason before other coaches even knew it was happening. Funny that the two coaches who were on the panel had teams that finished 1st and 2nd after regular season.
No draft will stop corrupt shit like that from happening.

Ps what's MLB.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It works brilliantly in the AFL. Collingwood haven't been a contender in like 4 years and Geelong didn't even make the finals this year.

The only way it could work though is if no NRL team had anything to do with juniors as they should be available for the draft.
We have different terms of what works brilliantly. Since 2001 there has only been one year where at least one of those 4 teams hasn't been in the grand final. It's almost always the same teams playing for the title.

The NRL sucks running the main competition do we really want them responsible for all junior leagues too?

Status
Not open for further replies.