Idris shapes up for a shot at Kangaroos selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Stuart Honeysett From: The Australian April 30, 2011 12:00AM

HE was a bolter for NSW and now Jamal Idris could reprise that role for Australia.

The towering Canterbury centre is in contention for a spot on the Kangaroos bench for the Test match against New Zealand at Skilled Park next Friday.

The make-up of the teams for the Kangaroos, and the City and Country sides to face off in Albury also on Friday, won't be fully settled until the completion of this weekend's round.

Test coach Tim Sheens had his hands full yesterday after juggling a meeting with Australian selectors to decide the national team and one with Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys over his future at the Tigers.

Idris was in action for the Bulldogs against Brisbane last night and it is understood his fate is tied to those of several other players, with Sheens yet to decide whether he wants to carry two props on the bench to avenge their Four Nations loss to the Kiwis at the end of last season.

The Bulldogs giant has got the better of incumbent Australia centre Greg Inglis in two meetings at club level this season and his explosive size and power saw him selected on the bench for the Blues for the opening State of Origin game last year.

It is the make-up of the bench which is causing the most headaches for national selectors. Johnathan Thurston, Justin Hodges, Inglis and Jarryd Hayne are tipped to make returns to the starting side after missing the previous series through injury.

Veteran prop Petero Civoniceva is expected back after standing himself down voluntarily from the final last year over form concerns, while St George Illawarra backrower Ben Creagh should win a spot in the starting side.

The bench will include Kurt Gidley and Nate Myles but there are plenty of others fighting it out for the final two spots with Idris, another bolter in St George Illawarra prop Trent Merrin, Canberra's David Shillington and Brisbane's Ben Hannant all in contention.

It is understood those spots could be decided this weekend with Shillington and Canberra teammate Tom Learoyd-Lahrs -- who both played in last year's final -- getting the chance to impress Sheens when they take on the Tigers tomorrow.

Whoever misses out for Australia is expected to be rushed straight into the Country team to face City, which is shaping as a bona fide selection trial for the Blues team.

NSW coach Ricky Stuart has been in regular contact with City's Brad Fittler and Country's Laurie Daley with a view to all three working together to get the formula right and end Queensland's five-year stranglehold on the interstate contest.

Newcastle winger Akuila Uate was right in the mix for the Kangaroos before losing out to Hayne while Canterbury prop Aiden Tolman has rocketed into calculations for higher honours following some outstanding efforts for the Bulldogs.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...garoos-selection/story-e6frg7mf-1226047239891

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be fair he has killer right step, this is complimented by a nice angled run to the left, and has the ability to ignore space and run to a swarm of defenders like no one I have seen before.

Also everyone complains that we don't rush up in defense. But when Idris does we complain. Why? Just because he ends up behind the play does not mean we should bag him. We should applaud him for remembering what his U6 coach told him. "UP !!".

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
other times he stands there flat footed doing nothing, hot and cold player

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
Also everyone complains that we don't rush up in defense. But when Idris does we complain. Why? Just because he ends up behind the play does not mean we should bag him. We should applaud him for remembering what his U6 coach told him. "UP !!".
i do complain about the team not rushing up in defence and i mean team i know there's an I in our team but ffs does he have to rush up by himself.......?

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
According to Paul Kent on Twitter

paulkent_tele Paul Kent
by dailytelegraph
Big news on the Aussie team to play NZ. Yow Yeh will be picked on the wing, Brett Morris on other wing. No Hayne. Idris on bench #nrl

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Dreadlocks shock: Idris' versatility in high regard with Australian selectors

Greg Prichard
April 30, 2011

CANTERBURY'S man mountain centre, Jamal Idris, has emerged as a potential shock selection on the bench in the Australian team for the Test against New Zealand at Skilled Park on Friday night.

The Herald understands the Australian selectors and coach Tim Sheens, who met again yesterday, are looking seriously at Idris as a potential game-breaker because of his immense size and power, and ability to slot in to the second-row.

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore has used Idris in the second-row at times in the past, and that would appear to be where he would go coming off the bench against the Kiwis.

Idris, 20, stands at 194 centimetres and weighs 115 kilograms, and has generally been playing well in a Canterbury side that has won five of its first seven games this season. He had one off day opposite St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper when the Dragons beat the Bulldogs at the SCG but has twice played opposite South Sydney's superstar centre Greg Inglis this season and out-pointed him on each occasion as the Bulldogs won both games.

Inglis is a certain inclusion in the centres for Australia, with Brisbane's Justin Hodges expected to be preferred over the Dragons' Mark Gasnier for the other centre position.

Idris broke into representative football last season, when he played for Country Origin against City and then made it into the NSW side on the bench for State of Origin I against Queensland. He didn't play in either the second or third games of the series, but has continued improving as a player and was already considered to be well in the running for a Blues spot this season.

The fact some big-name forwards with strong representative backgrounds are either not in very good form or out injured appears to have dramatically increased the chances of an impact player such as Idris being included, because it has opened up a spot on the bench.

Penrith second-rower Luke Lewis is unavailable because of injury, while Canberra props David Shillington and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs are down on form in a team that has lost six games in a row. Unusually, three forwards would be chosen alongside a utility player, but on this occasion the search has widened.

Newcastle's Kurt Gidley, who can cover five-eighth, halfback, fullback and hooker, and probably a couple of other positions as well if necessary, is a certain selection on the bench. Sydney Roosters lock Nate Myles, who is just as comfortable at either second-row or prop, appears likely to be another bench player.

Idris and props Trent Merrin (St George Illawarra) and Ben Hannant (Brisbane) are said to be the players competing for the other two bench spots. Other contenders, including Gold Coast second-rower Greg Bird and Cronulla prop Kade Snowden, appear to have been headed off at this stage. Merrin, 21, is yet to play at any level of representative football, and if he is included he would be another beneficiary of the fact he is playing well and some established stars are not.

But the Australian team is not named until tomorrow night and form over the weekend still has the potential to lead to last-minute adjustments to the side in positions where no-one has a stranglehold.

How Idris and Hannant went for the Bulldogs and Brisbane respectively at Suncorp Stadium last night could be important, and if Shillington and/or Learoyd-Lahrs fire for the Raiders against the Wests Tigers side coached by Sheens at Canberra Stadium tomorrow that could obviously have an impact as well.

Likely Australian side: Billy Slater, Brett Morris, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Jarryd Hayne, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Paul Gallen, Ben Creagh, Sam Thaiday, Petero Civoniceva, Cameron Smith, Matt Scott Interchange: Kurt Gidley, Jamal Idris, Nate Myles, Trent Merrin

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...with-australian-selectors-20110429-1e0kd.html

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are kidding themselves, but then again Kurt Gidley is an 'automatic selection' so they have form in picking players who don't deserve to be there.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i do complain about the team not rushing up in defence and i mean team i know there's an I in our team but ffs does he have to rush up by himself.......?
You know my post was full of sarcasm don't you.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
'you'll get selected in the Australian side this year and we'll give your own kids TV show, bla, bla'

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Please do pick him, and for other rep games too!

More Idris in rep games = More Lafai at centre.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
To be fair he has killer right step, this is complimented by a nice angled run to the left, and has the ability to ignore space and run to a swarm of defenders like no one I have seen before.

Gold

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

Correct.

Idris did that several times against Brisbane last night didn't he? Managed to kill off some promising attacking moves for us

Status
Not open for further replies.