Ideas for Game Plan against Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just play with some depth and momentum coming onto the ball, and off the line, and I'll be happy. I don't care if we lose, I just want to see an improvement that will give me hope for the rest of the year.

The persistence with flat attack and no line speed over the past few years gives me little hope, however.

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
I want to see Tony Williams take a hit up off the kick off. I can't recall it ever happening!

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I want to see Tony Williams take a hit up off the kick off. I can't recall it ever happening!
That's because it's generally the job of a prop, not an edge runner like Williams or Jackson.

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
That's because it's generally the job of a prop, not an edge runner like Williams or Jackson.
Just trying to think outside the square. This way, he could wind up and bend the line, instead of catching the ball flat-footed and having no impact at all.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need to employ a GOOD kicking game with a GOOD chase. Keep them pinned in their own half. Our forwards need to aim up big time, get into the tackles and wrap up the ball, play with enthusiasm and pride in the jersey. We need to play for the full 80 mins against the Cowboys and not let Thurston get into stride, take our scoring chances and stop being so one dimensional in attack. Hopefully J Moz will be back to shore up our defence and our wingers need to stop getting sucked infield, they need to stay on the wings in defence and Sam Perrett needs to catch the ball on the full each and every time or at least have players back to support him ( the goalposts have played a massive part in our last two games).
This is a game we should be desperate to win.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Get Hokko to spear tackle JT so he is out for the game and Hokko is out for 12 weeks.
I think that job is more suited to Reynolds

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just trying to think outside the square. This way, he could wind up and bend the line, instead of catching the ball flat-footed and having no impact at all.
I hear you. Tolman and Graham aren't line benders, so it would be refreshing to see someone start the game with impact.

Kasiano has done this before. We'll see if he starts. Klemmer is also more than capable.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Run a heap of traffic at Thurston and Morgan. Don't let Thurston play at the line. Rush him and make him turn it back in. On paper I think the bulldogs pack can dominate. Reynolds put him off his game before. Possibly some controlled niggle
Good idea re Thurston but if Reynolds takes it on he will rush up too early and leave a huge hole in our defence (again).

What I think we should do is get back to basics and then add some flair.

1. Aggressive (nothing illegal) defence
2. Forwards reinvent their short passing attack
3. Backs stand deep to take the ball at speed
4. Use set plays
5. On 5th and 6th tackle mix it up with bobs and grubbers but make sur the kicks are accurate
6. Kick chasers must support the kicker.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
one thing I've noticed this year, is we have completed our sets really well - 80% + in a number of games. We need to combine that with a bit of depth/speed in attack, and line speed in defence. One of our biggest problems seems to be that we are too flatfooted in both attack and defence :(

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
one thing I've noticed this year, is we have completed our sets really well - 80% + in a number of games. We need to combine that with a bit of depth/speed in attack, and line speed in defence. One of our biggest problems seems to be that we are too flatfooted in both attack and defence :(
Yes, that is Des' mantra. Completion, completion. Hold the ball for the full set( unfortunately we don't do a lot with it at times) kick to opposition and try to limit their metres. Unfortunately that only works if you get up in their faces and have line speed. We can do it though, we did it during the finals series last year and if not for the fact that a lot of our players were busted during the GF we could have won that too.
Completion does not appear to be a problem but a suitable attacking plan is. We looked good last week when Frank came on and it is incomprehensible that a forward should have scored 2/3 of our tries last week when we do have some attacking power in the backs.Oh well what will be will be I guess but we really need to fire up against the Cows and keep at them for the 80 minutes as they never give up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Lafai could be a chance for this game..

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If we want to give ourselves a chance of beating the Cowboys in Townsville in 2 weeks, we need to do the following;

1. Get to our kick on 5th and last EVERY time AND find space (looking at you Hodko)
2. Get forwards passing at the line with players supporting in formation (Kasiano must be involved)
3. Bomb, and bomb well, to Rona when in attacking territory (O'Neill is very average under the high ball)
4. Bench T-Rex and Eastwood, start with Frank the Tank, Kasiano and Klemmer (Tolman to start at Lock)
5. If Browne is playing, give him a 15-20 minute licence to hit and run as hard as possible and make Cows players tire quickly.

Hope Des will find this and at least consider some of the points.
I agree with you, but on no 3, who it's going to bomb?

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
get a couple of repeat sets and build pressure instead of watching the forwards get the ball up the other end and stab kick it to their winger at chest height in the field of play with no runners.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have the worst short, medium, attacking and long kicking game in the comp. the Tigers kicked us to death every kick was either attacking, repeat set or placed with perfection. We can't get a cross field kick to our wingers or attacking kick to save our life.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get the forwards to stand back so they can run onto Reynolds passes. When they stand up, Reynolds has no other option but to run sideways.
Reynolds is good at providing ball if the players are in position to take it. Im talking mainly about Williams, Jackson and Kasiano.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mbye to fullback, perrett back on the wing, Loko and Morris in the centres, 4 forwards on the bench.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take the lesson out of the Tigers game and do to the Cowboys what the Tiges did to us, an expansive attacking game not just get the basics right and complete sets, we need a list of options when we get up to the twenty meter line, we can't keep marching up to the try line then nothing, when we had Barba we had more luck launching raids from the middle of the field, is Curtis our new Barba?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
If we want to give ourselves a chance of beating the Cowboys in Townsville in 2 weeks, we need to do the following;

1. Get to our kick on 5th and last EVERY time AND find space (looking at you Hodko)
2. Get forwards passing at the line with players supporting in formation (Kasiano must be involved)
3. Bomb, and bomb well, to Rona when in attacking territory (O'Neill is very average under the high ball)
4. Bench T-Rex and Eastwood, start with Frank the Tank, Kasiano and Klemmer (Tolman to start at Lock)
5. If Browne is playing, give him a 15-20 minute licence to hit and run as hard as possible and make Cows players tire quickly.

Hope Des will find this and at least consider some of the points.
Besides the team changes this is a pretty basic game plan not too dissimilar to what Des is clearly trying to do. The unfortunate thing is the person who is meant to be directing the team and executing the gameplan is in horrible form. There will be no kicking to space or accurate bombs anytime soon unless Hodkinson has a kicking epiphany and finally gets it.

I had to laugh at that last line though, if Des is looking to the Kennel for help we are all doomed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.