I would like to put an idea out there to see the reaction..ONE ORIGIN GAME A YEAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To shorten a season up for the players, I suggest that we have only one ORIGIN game a year.
Brisbane, Sydney every second year and the third year at the MCG.
This way the players are preserved a little better, we can play a test AU v NZ and the season can be shortened just so slightly.
This will add the value of ORIGIN, (Put the entry fees up) just like the Super bowl, the price to advertise will treble and the stadium which ever one it is will be 100% full every time.
I think the premiership should be the number one focus first up and the supporters will jot be so agitated in losing their best players for origin over the extra 4 weeks.
I am not sure about other NRL supporters but, I feel myself getting very annoyed by losing key players over 6 weeks and of course the chance of losing key players through injury for the reminder of the season.
The better your team performs the more chance you have of losing more players to ORIGIN, EG for the Bulldogs this year we could lose Jackson, Klemmer, J Morris, B Morris, T Hodkinson, J Reynolds, T Williams or even T Lafai.
Please let me know what you think??

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not too bad idea but never happen origin is a cash cow for the nrl makes millions

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm with you all the way but as Cook says....

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about 22 rounds, 1 origin, 3 tests, 4 nations every second year, world cup every 4 years.

International games grow (and they're only in camp on stand alone weekend for 1 week then 2 test at end of year, or 3 test at end of year when not playing 4nations and world cup)

Origin makes money by milking the shit out of it for 4 months then charging $100+ for tickets

Players get extra 3 weeks rest

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would the ARL change the only good thing they have going? It brings non-NRL viewers in every game and makes shiteloads in revenue. If the ARL could, they'd have 20 Origin games a year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stae of origin is a massive earner for the NRL and they won't do away with the 3 match format any time soon. By rights they should actually organize some better scheduling for it so that teams don't lose so much momentum by having players missing, but i don't think they really care so long as the income stream is there. Let the clubs worry about replacing their missing players.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The first 2 origin series were only 1 game. They will never change it back as it is the most watched sporting event in Australia.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
24 rounds straight (with byes incorporated) - no tests no SOO in the regular season.

Earlier finals series by two weeks

Then 2 weeks break

Then 3 weeks of origen

Followed by a few internationals.

Use the regular season as a selection series for SOO, and SOO add a selection series for the internationals.

All this can be done in 9 months with adequate rest times throughout the year.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
24 rounds straight (with byes incorporated) - no tests no SOO in the regular season.

Earlier finals series by two weeks

Then 2 weeks break

Then 3 weeks of origen

Followed by a few internationals.

Use the regular season as a selection series for SOO, and SOO add a selection series for the internationals.

All this can be done in 9 months with adequate rest times throughout the year.
That would give every other country playing internationals 5 weeks of not playing and if their team didnt make the semis, they could be out of league for 2 months before suiting up for an international, whereis Australia would be in form playing through the whole season plus getting 3 origin games in a row to work on combinations. Dont think anyone would sign off on that.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That would give every other country playing internationals 5 weeks of not playing and if their team didnt make the semis, they could be out of league for 2 months before suiting up for an international, whereis Australia would be in form playing through the whole season plus getting 3 origin games in a row to work on combinations. Dont think anyone would sign off on that.
Once the gf is over, interest in rl pretty much ends.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe for you, but when every game at last years 4 nations was almost at capacity, i think there is plenty of interest still in the game.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have 2 games only and have a decider only when its 1all
I hate the 3rd dead rubber game where there's no point and it's just wasting more time in the season

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's that different to current post season internationals?

Nothings stopping other international teams from playing around the same time as origen - is more the internationals vs aus that would have to wait.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like allan79 said SOO is the nrl money child - if anything lots of supporters clock of If there team is not in the finals.

I think origen after the gf will revitalize interest in rugby league.

Just my opinion :grinning:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They should have 2 games only and have a decider only when its 1all
I hate the 3rd dead rubber game where there's no point and it's just wasting more time in the season
Sensible compromise.Only problem is money talks and the NRL just love money.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Well I guess the reaction will mainly be it will never happen op. Too much money for the nrl to give up. I do like doggiestyles idea a lot though, only play match 3 if its 1-1 all. No point risking injuries and tiring players for a dead rubber.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should dump it full stop, the Golden era is over and the club disruption isn't worth it as they usually use stars from leading clubs, but its here to stay.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I personally don't see the NRL dropping 3 games to 2.
I believe the players wouldn't want to lose their $30 000 pay check.

A stand alone State of Origin for 3 separate week's is the best option imo. I personally like the fact that Origin is played on a Wednesday night currently. Breaks the week up, things to talk about during the work week etc.

Negatives would be no club footy played during these origin games.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I would like to put an idea out there to see the reaction..ONE ORIGIN GAME A ...

Players will have a cry because they make a good pay packet playing origin footy..

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Like allan79 said SOO is the nrl money child - if anything lots of supporters clock of If there team is not in the finals.

I think origen after the gf will revitalize interest in rugby league.

Just my opinion :grinning:
And the games won't be in the middle of winter. That's got to be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.