I wish Hasler had the same passion for our club as these coaches do for theirs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love the Auckland Nines, but I'd rather start the season with a full side than win a single game in the Auckland Nines.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Parramatta coach Brad Arthur faces a nervous wait this week to find the final prognosis on a number of his players after the Eels limped away from the Auckland Nines with the heaviest injury toll of the weekend.
Story lines like this make Hasler seem even more of a genius :grinning:

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Why are people constantly questioning Dessies passion for the club? If you don't know how passionate Des is about his team and players, you have no idea!

Nines is glorified touch footy and accordingly treated as such. The only thing that matters is how you perform in the premiership. Des' record since he started coaching is second to none and you'd be a fool to think his focus is on anything other than winning on that first Sunday in October!

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. On the one hand I think that to encourage and breed success (which let's face it, hasn't been a part of what we do for 10+ years),we need to do EVERYHTING we do to the best of our ability. Winning and losing are habits.

On the other hand, I hate the NRL dictating that the 9's is somehow now an important event that Clubs must take seriously. I also cringe at the propensity for injuries to occur.

The verdict ? - Fuk em, we do what we want because we're the Bulldogs !!

locoBulldogs

New Pup
Reaction score
here comes the so called doggy fans whinging and complaining...if we had sent our stars to the 9's and some of them got injured, you guys would have blamed the coach anyways..if you can do better at his job, go and do it.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look guys at least we have no injuries for round 1. I'd rather that then play all the good players for this dumb tournament and get a lot of people hurt.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
this is from 2014!

he got us to the grand final last year, who won the 9's last year?

9's is a bullshit comp. I personally think the season is to long and should be cut down to 18 rounds

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...and-nines-noshow/story-fni3g67w-1226824899208

SOME would deem it a slap in the face for the inaugural NRL Auckland Nines, but Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle has defended coach Des Hasler’s decision not to attend this weekend’s $2.4 million tournament.

Instead of Hasler, Canterbury assistant coaches Jim Dymock and Kelly Egan will travel to New Zealand to oversee the club’s trophy tilt.

Hasler made the decision not to attend the tournament last month, with his focus on the Bulldogs much-anticipated round one NRL clash with the Brisbane Broncos on March 7 his priority.

Confirming Hasler’s Auckland no-show, Castle said she backed the head coach’s decision adding that the experience Dymock and Egan would gain by guiding the Dogs would prove invaluable.

“There might be a few people who see it as a negative thing, but we don’t,’’ Castle said.

“We see it as a great opportunity for some of our assistant coaches to get some really valuable experience and for them to continue to grow their skill base.

“We also see it as a crucial part to our overall football strategy for the year.’’

Williams looking to improve after poor first season
http://content5.video.news.com.au/N...6/29/FSD_100214_NRL_BULLDOGS_WILLIAMS_VSV.jpg

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart also confirmed last month that like Hasler, he would not be attending the Nines. Hasler and Stuart are the only two NRL coaches expected to miss the tournament.

“It’s more important, from my point of view and at this stage of our build-up, that I stay in Canberra and keep coaching the remainder of the players that are here and not involved in the Nines,’’ Stuart said.

“I’m just trying to put the club’s start to the season ahead of everything else.

“I hope the Nines is a great success and I’m sure, with the quality of footballers involved, it will be.

“But this is about making sure our preparation continues to go full-steam ahead. This time next year I’ll probably have a different stance on it.’’

Canberra Raiders roll depleted Melbourne Storm in trial
http://content5.video.news.com.au/N...2/FSD_090214_NRL_CANBERRA_STORM_TRIAL_VSV.jpg

In Stuart’s absence, Canberra assistant coach Matt Parish will guide a young Raiders outfit set to be captained by Jarrod Croker.

It’s understood Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy, who believes the tournament isn’t necessary given the already hectic schedule for players, was also contemplating bypassing the event.

But the Storm camp have since confirmed Bellamy will now attend.

Without a host of stars including their most elusive player, Josh Reynolds, the Bulldogs are rated $26 outsiders to succeed at the Nines.

But co-captain Michael Ennis believes the Dogs have the firepower to do be a major threat.

“We’ll be heading over there looking and hoping to perform well,’’ Ennis said.

“We’ve got a well-balanced squad that I believe can play well.”
Comments

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I seriously think they should just scrap the Nine's. It's pretty dumb that a team is forced to name X amount of big name players then play some of them for one game (Jmoz). The whole comp is a farce.

The way I see it, Dessie see's the whole thing as a massive waste of time, and acts accordingly. He does just barely enough to not get fined. He made it look like we were taking it more seriously this year, but in reality we didn't play all of the people we expected to see play and the players were clearly told to not put in much effort.

Brisbane did something similar. They just sent a pack of kids who no one has ever heard of.

The Eels, one of the teams who sent a serious squad, have a plethora of injuries now with basically nothing to show for it.

I don't know why I was excited about watching them. I honestly enjoyed maybe 3 games. The only entertaining teams were the Titans, Eels and Sharks and none of them won and watching our games made me depressed. I will seriously consider not tuning in next year.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Prefer they hit the ground running Round 1 than risk injury in this BS tournament

However watching T Rex in 9s still frusterated me like he has done at NRL level

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des has a strict structure that he has only slightly tinkered with in the off-season. He wants that structure and mindset to be replicated in all training sessions, and, yes, even the Nines. Three games of "Tag" where structure is thrown out the window makes him very uncomfortable. Hopefully that will translate into a great 2015 season.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care if we do or don't send in our top squad, it was the way we played that was more than embarrassing it was like they didn't prepare for the tournament at all

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't care if we do or don't send in our top squad, it was the way we played that was more than embarrassing it was like they didn't prepare for the tournament at all
Because we didn't prepare for it, we are preparing for the NRL season not a stupid 9s comp. It is that simple.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Same approach to the Nines last year.. where did that get us?

People will say "to the Grand Final HA HA!", but the reality isn't that. The reality is that we lost a grand final. Coming second is as bad as coming second last. Afteral you still lost, just a little later in the comp.

Since 2012 we have been scoring less and less points, and our defence getting worse and worse (this is FACT).

The Nines are a chance to showcase your attack, toss the ball around a bit (rather than during your NRL season), and see what works.

Clearly last year (and this year) our approach to the 9s didn't work. Guess what? It didn't work in the regular season either. If we could have actually scored some decent points last year, MAYBE we wouldn't have had our pants pulled down in the grand final and copped a hiding.

At present history is just repeating itself. Last year we scraped by winning quite a few games by only one point. This year we may not be so lucky.

We NEED to improve our attack, but "doing the same thing as last year", will not accomplish that, regardless of who we buy.

Heck even GI, Slater or Folau couldn't have scored in the Nines for us the way we played.

Arguements re injuries are moot points. You could trip over at home just as easily and injure yourself as you could playing in the Nines. If we are that worried about injuries, bypass the trials and all rep matches too! Because they are pointless right??

Anyway I've said enough (of my opinion) on this topic over the past few days.... Just don't expect a massive turnaround this year, and if we show we STILL can't put points on, perhaps we NEED to start taking the Nines more seriously, and try tossing the ball around a bit like everyone else does in the Nines.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like I have said before...... make it a tournament for U20's
The young blokes would love it and I believe the crowd would be similar in size.

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
We didn't send our top squad, yes. But if i was a fringe player picked and was given a chance to show what I've got to offer, i would be jumping out of my skin to perform and win that tournament. I think the only thing the 9s have shown us is that we don't have an abundance of attacking, creative players in our squad. Lets hope we don't get many injuries this year.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im tipping take out the couple of forwards who played toulman pritchard williams brown plus morris and tompson and rona in the nines, that our nsw cup team based on those 11 players left who played nines will struggle to win a game this year, whats happening at the club if this lot are considered as the best we have in the kitty as back up players.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
who is even going to remember who won the 9s in a week or two?

it isn't the NRL, it is a highly modified version of the game..... one that every single coach in the game uses to run players who need a run, and try out juniors..... its a bit of fun, and should be treated as such.

Cowboys won last year, then went on to have a less than exciting season in the game that actually matters..... the 2 shouldn't be treated the same at all.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/we-had-to-take-auckland-nines-seriously-says-rabbitohs-coach-michael-maguire/story-fn2mcuj6-1227204320854

We had to take Auckland Nines seriously, says Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire

“Because that’s what we do,’’ the Rabbitohs coach shrugs.

“Whatever it is, we’re always serious about it.”

And for that reason, someone at NRL headquarters should say thanks.

Understanding that if there is to be a future for the footballing freak show that is Nines — if it’s going to accomplish more than simply giving grown men the excuse to dress as Papa Smurf — it will come back to the attitudes of coaches involved.

More than rugby league’s equivalent of the Big Bash — where teams are dreamt up by ponytailed marketing types — the Nines’ future hangs on the attitude of these 2015 winners, who crossed the ditch with a stacked side and attitude to match.

Which isn’t to say that everyone is drinking the Kool Aid just yet.

Take Canterbury coach Des Hasler, no stranger to premiership success himself, who didn’t bother to attend.

Nor did his Bulldogs side win a game.

Same deal the Penrith Panthers, whose Nines squad was more anonymous than a wrong number.

But Parramatta coach Brad Arthur? He was still talking up the Nines late on Sunday, with four of his players including halfback Chris Sandow under an injury cloud.

Asked why he risked so many big names, Arthur replied: “To compete.

“Every time we pull on a Parramatta jersey, we want to be competitive.”

And they were that.

Same deal the Roosters, whose players were told how rather than simply leaving the field when tired, they would play on until called by staff. Thereby ensuring that each man display the same discipline required weekly in the NRL.

Quizzed on why he brought two playmakers into an event some rivals failed to provide one, coach Trent Robinson replied: “Because our players are pulling on a Roosters jersey.

“How can we ask them to do that and suggest it doesn’t matter?”

The Roosters, see, were determined to take more from this weekend than the cash. “Not caring about this event, I reckon that’s the wrong attitude,’’ Mitchell Pearce agreed. “Footballers, we’re all competitive.

“Plus, I see the Nines as a real springboard for the season. A chance to enhance combinations, confidence ... I couldn’t imagine going away from here being smashed.”

Neither could Manly, who despite being winless and in a dead rubber third game, still sent marquee playmakers Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans out against Newcastle.

And, sure, such things will have been lost in the headlines today. But they shouldn’t. For if coaches stop caring, why should the fans?
stupid idea the 9s, no even a competition, I can't understand why we still talking about it

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same approach to the Nines last year.. where did that get us?

People will say "to the Grand Final HA HA!", but the reality isn't that. The reality is that we lost a grand final. Coming second is as bad as coming second last. Afteral you still lost, just a little later in the comp.

Since 2012 we have been scoring less and less points, and our defence getting worse and worse (this is FACT).

The Nines are a chance to showcase your attack, toss the ball around a bit (rather than during your NRL season), and see what works.

Clearly last year (and this year) our approach to the 9s didn't work. Guess what? It didn't work in the regular season either. If we could have actually scored some decent points last year, MAYBE we wouldn't have had our pants pulled down in the grand final and copped a hiding.

At present history is just repeating itself. Last year we scraped by winning quite a few games by only one point. This year we may not be so lucky.

We NEED to improve our attack, but "doing the same thing as last year", will not accomplish that, regardless of who we buy.

Heck even GI, Slater or Folau couldn't have scored in the Nines for us the way we played.

Arguements re injuries are moot points. You could trip over at home just as easily and injure yourself as you could playing in the Nines. If we are that worried about injuries, bypass the trials and all rep matches too! Because they are pointless right??

Anyway I've said enough (of my opinion) on this topic over the past few days.... Just don't expect a massive turnaround this year, and if we show we STILL can't put points on, perhaps we NEED to start taking the Nines more seriously, and try tossing the ball around a bit like everyone else does in the Nines.
FFS you are a hard task master. I would imagine that some of the clubs who miss the finals more often than not would be sad to lose their second grand final in three years, but incredibly proud of the effort their team has shown to actually qualify for a grand final. You sound like a kid who owns every games console and 99/100 of the latest games to go with it, complaining that your parents won't buy you the last game you are missing at this point in time.

When we recruited Hasler as coach i recall one of the Manly fans coming to this forum and telling us that Haslers first priority as a coach is to get his side defending well and it's certainly been true with the games i have watched. It would be nice if we were scoring more points, but I'll take 2/3 grand finals appearances over any 2 day league tournament and feel lucky that i support a team that has been so successful for a huge portion of my 35 years that children like you feel you have the right to throw tantrums when you don't feel that we've put in enough effort.

You have the option of picking another team if you don't like the way the club conducts their business. I'll take the good with the bad, suffer through any loss we have and know that when we take our next premiership it will feel that much sweeter for having had to wait 10 years.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des gets paid to win us premierships. Not a stupid nines com . Get over it. I still cannot believe people are still bagging des eveb though since 2012 we have made every final series and made two GF's. Yes i know we havnt won a comp yet but its a distinct possibility we will once again be challenging this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.