I think this is appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I have been watching with interest the self destruction at Canterbury over the last few days. I am seeing the “family club” carry on like a family imploding. I have seen just about every half baked ex Bulldog identity attack the club and the players as if they have commited some haneous crime – ie losing to the Eels in a semi.

Phil Gould started it all, with a very fair and valid comment at the close of business on Saturday. He stated that the big aggressive forward pack policy was now superceded, and teams with flair are succeeding at their expense.

The whinging carry on by some of your supposed greats, namely Peter Kelly, Steve and Pete Mortimer and Greame Hughes has been utterly pathetic, and Adam Perry should be drowned in Cooks River for questioning it as a player.

So, as I am noted for my subtle use of words in this joint, may I momentarily abandon that trait as I say how I really feel:

GROW THE F**K UP!!!!!

The “big forwards” policy that is under so much criticism has been THE SINGLE MOST SIGNIFICANT policy in Rugby League since the inception of the 6 tackle rule. Since the day Dr George led a gritty underrated pack in a dour and brutal battle against a giant Easts side in ’80, and when Brentnall and Gearin produced that pearler at the end, Canterbury have influenced the comp like no other side. Not even Brisbane’s tantrum inspired Super League has had the influence of Canterbury and their production line of big nasty forwards.

That policy went on to win another 3 comps in the 80’s, and one each in the following 2 decades. Players from that policy have coached another 7 premiers. In 23 years (since the ’84 upset) that policy has accounted for 13 premierships. Not only did ex Dogs win 7 comps (Gould in 88, 91, Anderson 95, 99, Hagan 01, Stuart 03, Folkes 04 – all who won at their first attempt bar Folkes), but they were the only thing that stopped Parra winning 6 straight comps (yeah, Saints in 85 were brilliant).

You provided the blueprint for the Broncos. Lokk at ‘em now. A few injuries to backs, and they still have a trainlioad of forwards to call on.

Folkes pre season address in 2005 summed it up best. “Don’t worry about other teams lifting against the premiers this season” he said. “They lift against us anyway”.

Carrying on like that – attacking the core of your clubs success, is utterly diabolical, reprehensible and disgusting. Those of us who support clubs who rely on attacking flair get excited when it happens, but geez the downtime is big at times.

How the f**k must Sonny Bill feel? Or Ryan? Or Maitua – a dead set Test lock of the future? To hear a moronic old f**knuckle like Peter Kelly bagging them?

Would you ever see Manly fans attacking the open chequebook approach to footy? No.

Grow up Canterbury. Appreciate what you have, what you have achieved, and what you will achieve when the pendulum takes it’s inevitable swing back. During the bad days of Traitor League, the Salary Cap rort and the Coffs Harbour incident, you banded together to defend your club in Rugby League’s version of the Seige of Trobruk.

Canterbury is the juggernaught that sends shivers down the spines of all opposition. It is like that because of your unbreakable solidarity toward your club.

So grow up, and get behind your club. Sucess is never far from Canterbury. Stop whinging because it’s taken a slight detour elsewhere!

**This is taken from League unlimited and the poster Misty bee, i just thought it would be appropriate here and i think it is a great post.

riomhach

Kennel Established
Reaction score
it is a great post.

i hope people take note.

Go the doggies

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
yeh, i didnt write the post but i didnt think perry opened his mouth either, what i remember him saying is that the culture the club has cant be taken away after 2 finals series, he didnt say anything negative.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
great post mate...its very true what you have said

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club doesn't have that effect on other clubs anymore...

It's been proven over the last few years..

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fark knuckle like Peter Kelly ??

I'm sure Misty Bee is fully aware that he won 2 Churchill Medals in the mid 80's...

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
misty bee is an old school bears supporter and he is now supporting the parrascums

Timmah.

CANTERBURY!!!!!
Reaction score
He's spot on I'm afraid ozman. People need to ignore the poster and look at the post for it's content, not it's author.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory Misty Bee has always been a harsh critic of the dogs and this post is correct.

Forwards are not the problem - it is what to do later on that is. 5th Tackle option is what everyone is harping about - this is not the responsibility of the forwards.

Give us a speedy backline that 50% of them aren't lazy, and get our halves invovled more and Canterbury has what it takes

Timmah.

CANTERBURY!!!!!
Reaction score
5th Tackle option is what everyone is harping about - this is not the responsibility of the forwards.
I'm trying to remember which forward (or maybe it was Haz, can't remember) who put up an awesome bomb on the 5th... the most final tackle pressure the Eels felt all night.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember which forward (or maybe it was Haz, can't remember) who put up an awesome bomb on the 5th... the most final tackle pressure the Eels felt all night.
According to Stats Corey, Ryan and Maitua had kicks in play other than any halves or backs.

Timmah.

CANTERBURY!!!!!
Reaction score
Could've been Reni... Millard and Haz also got a kick in each, 3m and 7m... I think it might've been Millard the one I'm wondering about.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
He's spot on I'm afraid ozman. People need to ignore the poster and look at the post for it's content, not it's author.
i have read it and thats why i said he was right for once.

everything he said was spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.