I think the future is England

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
We need to look in places where the others are not. The Pacific Islands is one place but how about the old Canterbury-Bankstown method of scouring the regional RL groups for talent, maybe we'll find another Langmack, Tunks, Kelly or Gillespie.. Does anyone remember a fullback named Greg Brentnall?, he hailed from AFL heartland. We need our recruiters to start earning their wage.
Gus is already doing this. We have a relationship with Western Clydesdales as a feeder club in QLD. As well as a relationship with Northern Districts in NSW and Canterbury, NZ as well. This is building our pathways.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
With the tallent pool so thin maybe we should be raiding unions youngsters.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's obviously a lot of talent in England and there's probably better talent available than the dregs that are off contract in the NRL.. The problem is the huge transfer fees Super League clubs want and how long negotiations take..

Obviously transfer fees are outside the cap and the club can afford it, but SL clubs often make unrealistic demands and even a rich club like ours probably wouldn't want to pay 2-3 huge transfer fees on more gambles that could end up being another Luke Thompson.
Apparently not really a large sum being asked for Brodie Croft something like $150k from a 7 year deal. No shame in not being the next Cooper Cronk.
2 years away from NRL in a televised comp against men can do a lot, might come back hungry. I like Sexton, have good position competition plus loan back a developing player out for exposure in the SL as goodwill. HIA , injuries, suspension, form, chemistry, we're bound to need a ready halfback during the season. Or maybe that's where the utility comes in while we wait to snap up a rookie to shine in '24 to sign for '25 or take up an established halfback like Jamal Fogarty.

Early on, Luke Thompson was a beast for us, hence the large contract. Quality/mentality will suffer from what he's been through with Bulldogs and that makes a massive difference to what we see on the field.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The knights have signed 2 young English lads for next season, it’ll be interesting to see how they go and whether going down that young Englishmen route is a good pathway

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The knights have signed 2 young English lads for next season, it’ll be interesting to see how they go and whether going down that young Englishmen route is a good pathway
I’ve watched Kai Pearce Paul a bit, who is one of the guys they signed. Black guy. Like full gangsta black.
He is pretty good and I think he can be a real star. He seems a bit slow and awkward but that natural athleticism like SBW had. Kind of guy that can offload anything. There’s someone else who he reminds me of but I can’t think who it is. Maybe Jordan Riki or Topine before he bulked up hard? Also a bit similar to Don McLeod from south’s in the nineties.
Or even dare I say what Alamoti could have been if he had more pace?

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to look in places where the others are not. The Pacific Islands is one place but how about the old Canterbury-Bankstown method of scouring the regional RL groups for talent, maybe we'll find another Langmack, Tunks, Kelly or Gillespie.. Does anyone remember a fullback named Greg Brentnall?, he hailed from AFL heartland. We need our recruiters to start earning their wage.
Mate I'm sure that we are already doing it, but so are the other 16 clubs.
One board member told me back in the 1990's that the competition for country tallant was getting stronger back then.
When Hassler was coach and Cleal recruitment guru, we didn't even try, thats the problem.
Clubs are identifying kids as young as 14 now.

Britishdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I’ve watched Kai Pearce Paul a bit, who is one of the guys they signed. Black guy. Like full gangsta black.
He is pretty good and I think he can be a real star. He seems a bit slow and awkward but that natural athleticism like SBW had. Kind of guy that can offload anything. There’s someone else who he reminds me of but I can’t think who it is. Maybe Jordan Riki or Topine before he bulked up hard? Also a bit similar to Don McLeod from south’s in the nineties.
Or even dare I say what Alamoti could have been if he had more pace?

KPP has been a bit up and down for a while. He has all the talent and athleticism of a guy like SBW but has never really showed any kind of mean streak or intensity in defence. In saying that, he's bulked up a bit this year.

A kid to look out for in the UK is Junior Nsemba. Big strong athletic kid. Cameroon heritage and only just turned 19. Could be a star in a few years.

There's some other good prospects out there too. Plenty of SL players that would go well in the NRL. Usually depends on the club they go to. Most of the players that have "flopped" were never gonna succeed.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't be unhappy if Jack Welsby became a Bulldog. Fullback is his best position but he has played every position in the backline for St.Helens and it still in his early 20's.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't be unhappy if Jack Welsby became a Bulldog. Fullback is his best position but he has played every position in the backline for St.Helens and it still in his early 20's.
He will end up in the nrl. All the current playmakers are in their thirties and clubs have already looked at welsby. Have this weird feeling he will replace tedesco at roosters