News 'I haven't done anything wrong': Phil Gould to challenge $20,000 NRL fine

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it's good for a senior figure to carry on like he did, but 20k is a bit ridiculous

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think it's good for a senior figure to carry on like he did, but 20k is a bit ridiculous
The NRL execs will argue Gus is earning millions every year off the game and therefore $20k is not much for him.
Mind you the same execs will be doing pretty well themselves.
Including some pretty healthy bonuses as well.
Hopefully Gus's fine is used to increase payments to junior referees?

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"comments that are considered detrimental to the game or NRL competition"
Hmmm.
So, you cannot speak the truth about the game, because it allegedly can be "considered detrimental to the game" (brings the game into "disrepute")...

...BUT, it's just fine to completely over-react by being "super sensitive" to the truth, try to ban that truth (because hey, the fans are too stupid to notice, right?), and fine anyone with the temerity to speak that truth; thereby making yourself an utter laughing stock and actually bringing the game into disrepute.

Amateur Hour down at NRLOLHQ.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not like when a player fights a charge at the Judiciary, there's no early plea discount, no found guilty extra penalty, it is what it is. Nothing to lose by fighting it, there is only gain. Even if he loses it's still a win as he will have the opportunity to justify his words.

Which were "our game is so stupid", his use of "OUR GAME" is smart, he is in fact calling himself stupid since he is part of the "OUR". The NRL can fine him because he is an employee of a Club who is part of the League. So by fining him they are in fact confirming that he is one of the OUR. He didn't name anyone, he didn't say the NRL Admin, NRL HQ, the CEO, ref's, bunker ...... he included himself in the overall criticism. In fact the NRL are fining him for partially "bringing himself into disrepute".

This is going to be interesting.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love to put a few direct questions to the referees and their bosses …

Why is it the bunker can be so thorough in one game, thorough enough to actually go back 3 sets, check for a hip drop infringement, call a stop to the game and have Preston sent for 10 minutes … yet they didn’t send Sezer for 10 in Saturday game for a worse infringement ? …… I’d lIke an answer to that question ?

Sutton is supposedly one of their most senior ref’s, he was the one checking it in both real time and slow motion, every man, commentator and his dog could clearly see that was a hip drop .. and the MRC agreed …

It should be put to Sutton, and clearly asked, why didn’t you give that 10 in the bin, do you still not understand the ruling, do you still not understand what constitutes a hip drop tackle ..

And that’s nothing to do with conspiracy theory’s, calls of corruption or even bias …. It’s a straight forward question to a supposedly senior referee, what did he see there that didn’t warrant 10 in the bin .. what is the MRC seeing there that differs so greatly to what Sutton saw ?

These decisions can win or lose games, so they need to be reviewed, questions asked and answered, especially from your most senior referees, because these types of decisions are mostly what’s giving the game a black eye every week .. being accountable is the beginning of change towards getting calls consistent and right ..

Last edited:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes gave his thoughts while in his role as a commentator though.. cant penalise commentators on their opinions..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great, the NRL will just "even" things out on field instead.

Just take the $20k hit and then run.
I’m not sure where I stand on this either. Not sure wat message he sends to players who cop fines every week, poor Sam Hughes for example. There expected to just cop it and not risk guilty and missing games??

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Good on GUS About time someone spoke up an makes these fools accountable, that’s the problem with this game, all the incompetence and mistakes made yet we have to be hush hush .. even though it’s clearly blatant for all too see. !!
I would not usually recommend standing up to the NRL cos that means you are taking on DT/Fox and their ability to twist and use your words against you in a bad light. Probably have repercussions for our club as well with them getting stuck into us (see that Controversy Corner vid I put up...Buzz got Heaps taken off the show it's reported)

But now it seems it's open kinda warfare for Gus with their influence brought to bear in ensuring NRL fined him.

I guess there's nothing to loose and every bit of self respect for Gus and the club to gain by fighting this.

Last edited:

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nothing to lose by fighting it, there is only gain.
Gus will win the PR war (already has), primarily because he is right; and everyone, including the fans and especially the NRL know it.

Fining him for highlighting the truth is the ultimate "Streisand Effect" D!#k-move you would expect from over-sensitive amateurs terrified someone/anyone might notice their incompetence, and worse, call it out.

If ever there was a need for the call: "As a commentator, Mr Gould is entitled to his opinion..." it was on this.

Now Gus gets to play this over and over while he further highlights: "... our game is stupid" (or at least those currently "running" it).
#NRLOLHQ Amateur Hour

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feed ‘em Gus! Them fining him is simply saying they can’t handle the truth!

How many other people involved with clubs say critical things about the NRL?! Plenty I would think.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nowhere near the same, but in a small way similar to JT’s complaints, is the Nrl opening up a huge can of worms here, does this now mean that if any commentator commenting a game, or commenting on any Nrl shows, says that was just a stupid call or that’s just a stupid rule, will they from here on leave themselves open to big fines, because this happens all the time in commentary ..

I’m not sure the Nrl have thought this through … My gut says they’ve reacted to certain whispers from people in the media that have agendas .. probably thought Gould would pay up and shut up … maybe didn’t ask themselves how they’d look if he decides to fights it ?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d love to put a few direct questions to the referees and their bosses …

Why is it the bunker can be so thorough in one game, thorough enough to actually go back 3 sets, check for a hip drop infringement, call a stop to the game and have Preston sent for 10 minutes … yet they didn’t send Sezer for 10 in Saturday game for a worse infringement ? …… I’d lIke an answer to that question ?

Sutton is supposedly one of their most senior ref’s, he was the one checking it in both real time and slow motion, every man, commentator and his dog could clearly see that was a hip drop .. and the MRC agreed …

It should be put to Sutton, and clearly asked, why didn’t you give that 10 in the bin, do you still not understand the ruling, do you still not understand what constitutes a hip drop tackle ..

And that’s nothing to do with conspiracy theory’s, calls of corruption or even bias …. It’s a straight forward question to a supposedly senior referee, what did he see there that didn’t warrant 10 in the bin .. what is the MRC seeing there that differs so greatly to what Sutton saw ?

These decisions can win or lose games, so they need to be reviewed, questions asked and answered, especially from your most senior referees, because these types of decisions are mostly what’s giving the game a black eye every week .. being accountable is the beginning of change towards getting calls consistent and right ..
All valid questions and concerns, they wont be able to justify any of the action because it proves once again their bias.

If they all confirm that it should be been a sin bin then Sutton needs to be dealt with so that he thinks again the next time he tries to be bias against us. First thing that needs to be done is have a KPI system, they get away with it because they know they can - put their pay at risk and im sure they will all come around.

NRL is to blame here because only they have the power to fix it and they simply ignore and move on, if it were to happen to souths or the roosters they'd be on top of it and begging for their forgiveness.

Club needs to make noise like the warriors did, it will either get worse or better which proves existing bias or a end to it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Nowhere near the same, but in a small way similar to JT’s complaints, is the Nrl opening up a huge can of worms here, does this now mean that if any commentator commenting a game, or commenting on any Nrl shows, says that was just a stupid call or that’s just a stupid rule, will they from here on leave themselves open to big fines, because this happens all the time in commentary ..

I’m not sure the Nrl have thought this through … My gut says they’ve reacted to certain whispers from people in the media that have agendas .. probably thought Gould would pay up and shut up … maybe didn’t ask themselves how they’d look if he decides to fights it ?
Just for clarity, the NRL can't fine anyone not "employed" by the NRL. So Rothfield, Kent, Weidler et al can say whatever they like, but Gould can't as he is employed indirectly by the NRL.

Which in itself is an interesting question, what if the Bulldogs prove that Gould is paid for not from the NRL grant, but by the Bulldogs ourselves? We could easily be using all of the NRL grant to pay for the other Coaching staff. Then of course there is the argument that Gould is employed by Nine to comment on the NRL and it was in the course of that employment that he made the comments. The NRL knows full well that legally they can't stop him from having multiple jobs.

The NRL has opened this can of worms and it may well come back to bight them on the ass.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for clarity, the NRL can't fine anyone not "employed" by the NRL. So Rothfield, Kent, Weidler et al can say whatever they like, but Gould can't as he is employed indirectly by the NRL.

Which in itself is an interesting question, what if the Bulldogs prove that Gould is paid for not from the NRL grant, but by the Bulldogs ourselves? We could easily be using all of the NRL grant to pay for the other Coaching staff. Then of course there is the argument that Gould is employed by Nine to comment on the NRL and it was in the course of that employment that he made the comments. The NRL knows full well that legally they can't stop him from having multiple jobs.

The NRL has opened this can of worms and it may well come back to bight them on the ass.

Always a Bulldog
There is that many holes in the NRL’s argument. Their legal team will not even go to court if Gus digs in and stands his ground.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How about working out to see what the issue is and if it needs fixing? Meanwhile they can calm the scenario down and for future fan and commentator input offer proper avenues.

NRL doesn't communicate back to emails for example, seems like people (commentators and armchairs) have to shout to be heard, Gus had to do that. It's the NRL communication that needs fixing, not Gus, obviously he doesn't have to go extreme but the NRL forced it to this.