I give up

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would it scare them? Wouldn’t that be good for the game? A successful bulldogs team means the competition is in a good spot. We have the most fanatical fans
Just a bit of sarcasm, accidentally left out the funny emjoy, fixed :tearsofjoy:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we were done as an NRL force the moment we hired the poser greenberg and got rid of folkes after 1 bad season

the reward is 10 bad seasons with no end in sight

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I'm just as staggered you think he is a running 6, completely lacks the confidence and is a little scared of getting belted which is what a good few mobile second rowers would do and then he is fd for the rest of the game(and meanwhile still missing tackles for fun just a bit closer infield lol)
Maybe look at the bigger picture ..

Right now we only have 2 attacking threats in the spine, Mahoney and Burton, and one of those is still learning his position, shut those 2 down & you go a long way to shutting down the Bulldogs, let’s remember those 2 are also the main link to opening up our other attacking weapons … most opposition teams have 4 attacking threats in their spine, plus a 13 that’s also a big threat .. Munster made 20 tackles on the weekend missing 4 …. 6’s aren’t really known for defence, they’re there because they’re a huge threat in attack and to link up others around them in attack, you can cover defensive issues there …

Teams do their homework, they know if you give Averillo space he’ll stand you up, they also would note his defensive issues .. so they run the big blokes at him in numbers ..

What’s Averillo’s strengths ?

Attack
Speed
Elusive
Step
Pass
Support

Moving those strengths to 6 automatically gives us a 3rd attacking threat in the spine, he has more room to move & gets his hands on the ball more.

Averillo’s weaknesses ?

Size
Defence
Contact

Moving him to 6 and coaching the centres, outside backs and forwards to get in around him and help him out in defence lessens these weaknesses ..

We don’t weaken right centre by moving Averillo because we can move Kiraz one in who’s a good defender and a powerful runner who can set Wilson up on the wing who has speed ..

Moving Averillo to 6 automatically adds a 3rd attacking threat to our spine while not weakening our centre position ..

Move Perham on who is a zero attacking threat & put Burns to FB and we possible shoot straight to 4 threats in the spine ..

KO might also shock at 13 moving us to 5 threats ..

But to me Averillo to 6 & Kiraz to centre are no brainers …

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Right now we only have 2 attacking threats in the spine, Mahoney and Burton, and one of those is still learning his position, shut those 2 down & you go a long way to shutting down the Bulldogs, let’s remember those 2 are also the main link to opening up our other attacking weapons … most opposition teams have 4 attacking threats in their spine, plus a 13 that’s also a big threat .. Munster made 20 tackles on the weekend missing 4 …. 6’s aren’t really known for defence, they’re there because they’re a huge threat in attack and to link up others around them in attack, you can cover defensive issues there …

Teams do their homework, they know if you give Averillo space he’ll stand you up, they also would note his defensive issues .. so they run the big blokes at him in numbers ..

Attack
Speed
Elusive
Step
Pass
Support

Moving those strengths to 6 automatically gives us a 3rd attacking threat in the spine, he has more room to move & gets his hands on the ball more.

Averillo’s weaknesses ?

Size
Defence
Contact

Moving him to 6 and coaching the centres, outside backs and forwards to get in around him and help him out in defence lessens these weaknesses ..

We don’t weaken right centre by moving Averillo because we can move Kiraz one in who’s a good defender and a powerful runner who can set Wilson up on the wing who has speed ..

Moving Averillo to 6 automatically adds a 3rd attacking threat to our spine while not weakening our centre position ..

Move Perham on who is a zero attacking threat & put Burns to FB and we possible shoot straight to 4 threats in the spine ..

Can someone refresh my memory on how good Averillo was last time he played in the halves?

If I remember correctly, we weren't scoring many points?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gave up at 24-6 and left the ground. Spent more time at the locker room having a beer than I did watching us play lol.

Had a few mates say we might nick an early try 2nd half but i knew we couldn't keep them scoreless in the 2nd half to have a remote chance anyway.. this team is out of ideas and now just shifts the ball from left to right. Every attack is down the addo carr wing which is easily defusable for teams with a competent fullback.

We have no one with brains in this team, they're all meatheads.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
You know what… I’m also the same but not at that level yet! All I want is to be competitive and play some finals football. Have something to look forward to! I’m sick to death of convincing my son we were a force back in the day, since he has started following the footy we have been nothing but rubbish. This club is not a wooden spoon club and is one of the biggest clubs in Sydney so I don’t understand how we just can’t get out of this rut. No matter who we sign they just replace the crap we got rid of. It’s so frustrating!
Re your last few lines, I touched upon this in a post a while ago. Since about 4 years ago, we have basically an entirely new first grade roster (RFM is one long termer) and in this time, we have had several new coaches yet we still dish up the same crap year after year. It's like we are stuck in some horrible Groundhog Day loop. As a long term fan, I'm actually really fed up with it and it has to change - no finals footy for 7 years. No premiership for almost 20 years. Way too long!

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re your last few lines, I touched upon this in a post a while ago. Since about 4 years ago, we have basically an entirely new first grade roster (RFM is one long termer) and in this time, we have had several new coaches yet we still dish up the same crap year after year. It's like we are stuck in some horrible Groundhog Day loop. As a long term fan, I'm actually really fed up with it and it has to change - no finals footy for 7 years. No premiership for almost 20 years. Way too long!
Yep…. There’s something deeper going down at the club that we ain’t aware of. We are playing almost the same dumb low iq footy with so called Better players. Nothing really adds up. Everyone can use the Hasler excuse but that’s all done and dusted. No more excuses. Our cap is in a great place says master gus yet we havnt signed a decent half or decent front rowers in years. If we don’t sign a couple of big bodies and an experienced half for 2024 then expect the same result, us fighting for the spoon again. Bloody over it

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean pay bring him back we were going a lot better imagine he had this team

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would it scare them? Wouldn’t that be good for the game? A successful bulldogs team means the competition is in a good spot. We have the most fanatical fans
Yep correct, I'm not buying that other narrative and probably never will..but each tin hat to their own :p

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah it’s hard, we are the worst team in the comp, atleast most tigers games are close

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely Groundhog Day mate ..

My fear is with Barrett, Gus, now CC that we’ve been trying to move the play to what I call the “Panthers Play Book”

Lighter faster more mobile pack … meanwhile teams like Parra, Sharks, Raiders, Warriors, Bronco’s etc. have been going for bigger more powerful players and putting the right balance of smart blokes with speed around those bigger blokes ..

Until we get back to our culture of a big feared aggressive mongrel forward pack, big powerful wingers, outside backs and a good spine, we’re cannon fodder to these more powerful teams ..

Look at Sivo .. he’s a wing that looks like prop, who was stopping him on the weekend once he got wound up .. our blokes look like ants trying to stop a Titan Beatle …

Last edited:

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Definitely Groundhog Day mate ..

My fear is with Barrett, Gus, now CC that we’ve been trying to move the play to what I call the “Panthers Play Book”

Lighter faster more mobile pack … meanwhile teams like Parra, Sharks, Raiders, Warriors, Bronco’s etc. have been going for bigger more powerful players and putting the right balance of smart blokes with speed around those bigger blokes ..

Until we get back to our culture of a big feared aggressive mongrel forward pack, big powerful wingers, outside backs and a good spine, we’re cannon fodder to these more powerful teams ..

Look at Sivo .. he’s a wing that looks like prop, who was stopping him on the weekend once he got wound up .. our blokes look like grasshoppers against Titan Beatles …
Yes - definitely agree we have moved away from what made us once great. I am OK with players having mobility but they must have size (and some mongrel) too.

Like you said, we are constantly getting steamrolled by sides with bigger, more powerful packs. Pretty much impossible for us to win a game under those circumstances and our record over a number of years against the teams you mentioned in unacceptably poor.

I would be interested to see our win percentage for the last several years against teams which were top 8 when we played them. Our wins would be few and far between.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Attack
Speed
Elusive
Step
Pass
Support

Averillo’s weaknesses ?

Size
Defence
Contact

Yeh I'm not on board with due respect, some points are possibly on the money but he would be more of a weak link especially having to take on more defence..who is it going to be that holds his hand all game and take on some of his D responsibilities? We have a few defensive issues so maybe his babysitter wouldn't be much better..if it was Preston he would help obviously but get burnt out even more than he is now.

I'm happy if they persist with KO still, maybe it doesn't work out but at just 7 games in and about 4 starting its still raw..it deserves more gel time and I reckon Ciraldo will stick with it(maybe Rajab gets a crack otherwise Karl stays i reckon)

I would be on board with the Kiraz shift though and Ala out.. Wilson to the wing or if he is the replacement at FB then it would likely be Burns.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes - definitely agree we have moved away from what made us once great. I am OK with players having mobility but they must have size (and some mongrel) too.

Like you said, we are constantly getting steamrolled by sides with bigger, more powerful packs. Pretty much impossible for us to win a game under those circumstances and our record over a number of years against the teams you mentioned in unacceptably poor.

I would be interested to see our win percentage for the last several years against teams which were top 8 when we played them. Our wins would be few and far between.
Look at how centres have evolved over the last few years …

Fast centres aren’t as important, teams are opting for power & size, powerful centres that fatigue the opposition making PCM,s & being hard to pull down, when they break tackles, just get the ball to the faster wingers or fullback .. size & power with just enough agility & speed to get there if they’re close enough or get it to the faster support players ..

Couple that up with 2 or 3 aggressive props, powerful outside backs, big fast wingers and a smart spine & your on a winner ..

I can’t see the Bulldogs ever being a fast mobile light pack .. not within the next 10 years anyway ..

Until we get a much bigger more powerful pack & some smarts in the spine we’re going nowhere ..

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone refresh my memory on how good Averillo was last time he played in the halves?

If I remember correctly, we weren't scoring many points?
Pretty sure in the 2 or 3 games Averillo played at 6 he was playing quite well, then Barrett decided to move him to 7 … even though he did ok you could see he was young & inexperienced, he wasn’t an organiser he doesn’t have the experience vision or boot for it .. he should have been moved straight back to 6

Instead he went to left centre, back to 7, then demoted to reggies, back to left centre, then FB, now to right centre ..

Blind Freddy can see he’s a running 6 ..