News 'I can't understand the comments': Phil Gould counters Trent Robinson over Dominic Young send off furore

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould has described Dom Young's high shot on Blake Taafe as "pretty blatant" after Roosters coach Trent Robinson said a send off was "over the top".

Young was sent from the field in the 26th minute after knocking out the Bulldogs fullback on impact.

Taafe failed to return to the field while the Roosters winger was given his marching orders.

"It's not good for Blake, you don't want to see that ... (but) it wasn't a swinging arm, it was open handed, it was lower than shoulder height," he said in his post-match press conference.

"If that's the standard, that's fine but that's a new one for me, I feel like that's lower than what's been sent off before. It just feels like we can set a new standard here again, that's how it feels."

Pressed on whether he thought it was a sin bin, Robinson agreed before describing the referee's decision as "over the top".

"Definitely a sin bin, Blake's got concussed from that but again I don't have all the (previous) send offs in mind ... we've had guys stay on the field, not even go for 10 for less and I feel like that was a bit over the top," he said.

"If they come out and say that's the new (standard), there'll be a lot more send offs in our game. There should be if that's the case."

Upon hearing Robinson's comments, Gould disagreed despite his lack of approval for send offs in general.

"I don't particularly like send offs but that was probably one tonight, I think," he said on Nine's coverage.

"I can't understand the comments from the Roosters coach on that one, it was pretty blatant. I don't like send offs but if there's going to be one that's one."

Fellow league legends Andrew Johns and Paul Gallen agreed the high shot warranted a send off.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keary's reaction on field was the right one... he knew it was bad. In fact it seemed all Roosters players in close proximity were resigned to the outcome prior to Dom being given his marching orders. Robbo just wants to defect from our boys all but winning it in the first half.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"we've had guys stay on the field, not even go for 10 for less and I feel like that was a bit over the top,"
Never in my life have I seen a guy violently knocked unconscious and the other player not even get 10. You're a fuckin wanker Robbo. What a dopey comment.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from goulds comments that was the best and worst bulldogs game ever all in one.

Positives the first half thought we should have been up at least 38-0.

Injuries have hit us early season and the blessing will be those baby bulldogs people have been hoping for to get a chance ,we will be on a good place I’m confident mid season.

Elements are starting to come together and second half fade likely from to many changes due to injuries.

I can’t bag the boys out 100 percent loud and proudly say we can still shake the comp this year.

Point of note though had we won by a huge margin would have been in the 8.

As long as they keep working hard we will win more than they lose.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Typical Robinson, making excuses for his piss poor coaching, they were completely out coached, we smashed ’em. He hasn’t learnt that making excuses lets players off the hook, give them an out from playing poorly in the first half, they were abysmal. We tore their defence to shreds. It’s was only refs intervention and half of our the team being injured that saved him from an even more demoralising result.

Always a Bulldog

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Considering how Taaffe just folded into the ground then was motionless with his head pushing into the ground, pretty poor and disconnected comments by Robbo

Maybe he should try cop a swinging arm from Young at speed at see how he is after...

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering how Taaffe just folded into the ground then was motionless with his head pushing into the ground, pretty poor and disconnected comments by Robbo

Maybe he should try cop a swinging arm from Young at speed at see how he is after...
bro on contact he crumpled. That’s a send off all day. Disgraceful shit from Robbo

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Robinson's motive for those comments was to soften up the judiciary.
It seems to have worked.
The problem is the NRL allowing coaches to make such comments before judiciary have looked at a penalty.
It creates a perception coaches can influence penalties.
If they let him do it, why wouldn't he?
He was very careful with what he said - for eg saying it was definitely a sin bin, and by saying it was an 'open hand' and it was 'below shoulder height'. He may have even thrown in an 'uninentional'.
Robinson was basically making a case to the judiciary for a reduced penalty.
So the real question is should coaches be allowed to make case relating to a possible judiciary penalty during a post-game media conference?

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould has described Dom Young's high shot on Blake Taafe as "pretty blatant" after Roosters coach Trent Robinson said a send off was "over the top".

Young was sent from the field in the 26th minute after knocking out the Bulldogs fullback on impact.

Taafe failed to return to the field while the Roosters winger was given his marching orders.

"It's not good for Blake, you don't want to see that ... (but) it wasn't a swinging arm, it was open handed, it was lower than shoulder height," he said in his post-match press conference.

"If that's the standard, that's fine but that's a new one for me, I feel like that's lower than what's been sent off before. It just feels like we can set a new standard here again, that's how it feels."

Pressed on whether he thought it was a sin bin, Robinson agreed before describing the referee's decision as "over the top".

"Definitely a sin bin, Blake's got concussed from that but again I don't have all the (previous) send offs in mind ... we've had guys stay on the field, not even go for 10 for less and I feel like that was a bit over the top," he said.

"If they come out and say that's the new (standard), there'll be a lot more send offs in our game. There should be if that's the case."

Upon hearing Robinson's comments, Gould disagreed despite his lack of approval for send offs in general.

"I don't particularly like send offs but that was probably one tonight, I think," he said on Nine's coverage.

"I can't understand the comments from the Roosters coach on that one, it was pretty blatant. I don't like send offs but if there's going to be one that's one."

Fellow league legends Andrew Johns and Paul Gallen agreed the high shot warranted a send off.
Definitely a send off but radleys sin bin was a terrible call.