Hutchison Pre Season Press Conference

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Really? I thought all players were selected into positions based on how well they articulated in a press conference?? Guess I’ll have to stick to growing PoTAtOWs and let luai sort it out when he arrives…..
It’s actually sorted on how each player manages their trys, carrys and injurys. Keep up mate :-).

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Much has been made about how many "utility" players we have signed both here and in the press, but the simple fact is Gus has replaced reserve graders with NRL standard players regardless of where their bio says they play.
Exactly instead of reserve grade fodder we have players with a skill set that can fill a role without weakening the side. Should win a few more over the season because of it.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Much has been made about how many "utility" players we have signed both here and in the press, but the simple fact is Gus has replaced reserve graders with NRL standard players regardless of where their bio says they play.
I feel Gus is doing much more than replacing reserves, with the amount of utilities he has signed that can play in the halves he is hoping that they will all rise to the challenge and be more than just competitive, this will leave us in overcrowded situation in those positions then ultimately will give us a bargaining swapping tools for much needed props.
Am I over exhausting my imagination :laughing:

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I feel Gus is doing much more than replacing reserves, with the amount of utilities he has signed that can play in the halve he is hoping that they will all rise to the challenge and be more than just competitive, this will leave us in overcrowded situation in those positions then ultimately will give us a bargaining swapping tools for much needed props.
Am I over exhausting my imagination :laughing:
Yes you're exhausting your imagination.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
yh

Search through the media content of most clubs and there will be no mention of "all spots are up for grabs". Think about it, assuming all players are available, considering the 4 spine positions, how many of those 4 spots would be 95% certain to the average reasonably knowledgable punter and are not particularly debated in the media or on forums?

Penriff:
Edwards, Luai, Cleary, Kenny. All certain
Strom:
Pappy, Munster, Hughes, Grant. Ditto

Ok, too easy? Let's look at some mid range teams.

Manly:
Turbo, Brooks?, DCE, Croker. Only 1 ?, although most would probably put Schuster in the backrow.

Knights:
Ponga, Gamble, Hastings, Brailey. All certain, even with Cogger arriving, he is clearly back up for Hastings.

Cows:
Drinkie, Dearden, Townsend, Robson. All certain

Eels:
Queen Guth, Brown, Moses, Hands. All certain

Now look at the conjecture over our spine:

FB - Could be Critta, Taffee, Tracey, Perham (please no).
58 - Burton is no longer 95% certain, plenty of people want to see him at centre, with 58 going to Hutch, Taffee, Tracey, or even Salmon or KO (when fit).
HB - Will it be Sexton, Hutch, or Tracey (who is listed on the site as a HB).
#9 - The only certainty in our spine, and even Reed is under more pressure for his spot this season with the arrival of Turps.

The only teams that come anywhere near this level of uncertainty are possibly:
Dragons - though mostly because they have a new coach, pretty sure Hunt and Liddle have at least 2 spine spots locked down, and Flange Jnr is probably also a lock.
Raiders - FB and 58 are not certain, but Fogarty is obviously going to HB, and based on last season Woolford starts and Starling comes off the bench for #9.
Titans - mostly because they have a new coach, although Foran is certain at 58, and hard to see anyone other than Boyd and Verrils in 58 and #9, Campbell and Brimson fighting it out for FB.

Even Wests have more certainty around their spine than we do right now, and they are Wests!
imo 3/4 very good players in the spine can be enough. We won 95 GF with 3/4 and won 04 with 3/4 .. Even then Silva and Pattern probably wouldn't of been close to the top players in their positions. Although their contributions could be crucial at times.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Chat and vibe seems to suggest Hutch has the 7 locked up for at least first few rounds. Hopefully sexton doesn't drop his head. I like what I saw from sexton last year. Hopefully he brains it in cup putting lots of pressure on Burton and Hutch to perform. Wouldn't mind seeing how a halves of Sexton and Hutch go in the trials.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's almost like there's more than one sport played in the world. Ciraldo will definitely have his mind set on a 13 and most of the bench, if not then I would be worried.
Perhaps, but I'd suggest that so far as the players go, they are genuinely operating under the impression that they have a shot at their preferred position, and this discussion arose from the statement of a player. There are a few spots on the team that probably fit less so into this category. If you are a second rower that doesn't get called Kiks or Presto, you are fighting for a bench spot or to be first up replacement. But for the other spots it is believable that the players aren't 100% certain who CC is going to go with.

So far as it being a cliché statement, again, how many players from other teams are actually saying it?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I'd suggest that so far as the players go, they are genuinely operating under the impression that they have a shot at their preferred position, and this discussion arose from the statement of a player. There are a few spots on the team that probably fit less so into this category. If you are a second rower that doesn't get called Kiks or Presto, you are fighting for a bench spot or to be first up replacement. But for the other spots it is believable that the players aren't 100% certain who CC is going to go with.

So far as it being a cliché statement, again, how many players from other teams are actually saying it?
Other teams haven't had the insane roster turnover like us over the last two years. I bet if we asked @KiwiDog7 he could probably name the 13 that will start the season pending injury. Maybe a little shuffling in the backline might an issue, but that's looking injury related.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’re not easily impressed?
Whoever would’ve guessed? :-).

I liked the interview too, but just because he’s articulate doesn’t mean he’s getting the 7 nor is Sexton playing 6 and even less likely Burton is playing 3 - and why? Because Hutchison can speak English?
Great footy logic there Flipper :tearsofjoy:.
Clown logic: If they can recite Shakespeare they’d make a great spine player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

listening to Burton here gives me the impression that Hutchinson has his nose in front in the race for 7.
I didn’t really think about this when we signed Hutch, but having a very experienced player that can play in the halves could be quite beneficial. I didn’t think he was as old as he is, but knew he’s been around a while.

Burton and Sexton are very young and not very experienced, so even if it’s just around training or whatever, Hutch is a good guy to have around. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play in the no.7 though, at least some of the games.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great interview finally a player with his head screwed on and can form a good sentence. If im coach im slotting that man straight into the 7 and have him calling the shots. Something about him. I know hes got a booming left peg and throws a reasonable pass. Sexton at 6 he can do the cute stuff. Burton can play centre

Really impressed by this hutchsion and im not easily impressed.
are You on your period hon? Why are you so up and down? Or have you put down the glass bbq ? We will all hold you accountable for being coach right now, if he fails in the halves you’ll have no legs in arguments imo lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Of the current squad, would he be your pick?
To start the year, yes. Wasn't super keen on signing him but we had little alternative and if the club is going to continue to persist with Burton @ 6 then he's probably as close to as good an option as we'll find right now.

My overall personal preference would be to have both Sexton and Hutch in the halves together. Would be slow as fuck and it'd probably piss me off too but they're both at the least competent playmakers and I think they'd do a better job of utilising our biggest strength which is our edges. We got Kikau on one edge who can do it all as a backrower and simply needs a half inside him that's going to do the basics well and deliver the correct balls to him and Preston on the other who's looking like an excellent hole runner and again just needs a half inside him that's going to do the basics and make smart decisions. Our backs are more than good enough to then take advantage of the space if it opens up.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Interesting what Hutch says. All spots are up for grabs and this is bringing the best out in players which is what you want in a competitive team, competition for spots. Also that the club is aligned from top to bottom and theres a good buzz around the club.

He mentions the training has been hard and hes lost some weight and actually looks the best I have seen him. Built more like a half now instead of that bigger centre or hooker and he mentions he wants to establish himself as a first choice NRL player so maybe we will see his best.

Hutch also mentions despite our shortage of mids and size that our pack may be more mobile. Maybe thats an insight into the way they will play and take advantage of our lighter forwards.

It sounds like where almost a new club from the past. In a short time we have completely rebuilt the team and culture and it seems everyone is buying in. Like Hutch says now they have to reproduce that on the field but because they have done all the right things off the field things will only get better and we should see better results as well. I'm excited.