How would you score our start to the season/where do we rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right at this moment Id give us a 3/10 and say we would be lucky to make the 8 based on our performances so far. I base this on the following:
1. Our halves of Hokko and Reynolds are so far out of form that our attack only looks half decent with Mybe playing 5/8th. But Des is so loyal that he appears incapable of making the hard call when it comes to our present SOO incumbent halves. At least one of them should be demoted to NSW asap.
2. Our attack without B Moz looks the worst it has since pre Des - 2011. The forwards are not using the tip on play and not hunting as a pack and we roll through our sets as if they are a computer program, not a game of football.
3. Our defence lacks power and intimidation. the new faster ruck rules are not being policed fairly from team to team...we seem to get off players quicker than other teams are getting off us. We lack commitment and communication in D.
4. Our wins - Weve beaten a busted Manly twice, should have lost to the Tigers after being down 24-6 but miraculously came back to win in golden point...and against the Eels who havent won at ANZ for a thousand years...after they became so busted during the game that their centre couldnt get up off the ground to even attempt to tackle a guy running past him to score a try. Weve also had some bad losses where weve been smashed by Dragons and Tigers - two teams whos rosters are really not top 4 contenders.
5. For a team that has made 2 of the past 3 grand finals....we have a lot of work to do to become competitive.

What do you good people think?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we can and should beat anybody at full strength and we will be top 4

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Remember that plan the dogs released? What happens if we don't make the 8 lol

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Remember that plan the dogs released? What happens if we don't make the 8 lol
well first and foremost there will be a thread created by me to mock whoever made the plan

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Our catch cry is no longer "Dogs of war" it is now "wait until September"

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
we can and should beat anybody at full strength and we will be top 4
I agree, but only if we have all our players fit and healthy playing consistant footy,
But if we keep going the way we have so far, we will end up fringe top 8 like last 2 seasons,

What happens after that once we make the finals, or if we make the finals is anyone's guess,

Something has to improve big time if we are to be a top 4 team,

And I believe we need to be top 4 if we are to win the gf

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With both the 2 top sides from last year its a bit difficult to really get an accurate picture of how they are going because of injuries to key players. For the Dogs Graham is a huge loss...you only realise how important he is to the attack when he's not there........and the halves aren't able to compensate for his absence. And we've all seen how the Rabbits go without Reynolds. Ask the same question in 6 weeks and we may have a clearer picture.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think well come good ,our squad has improved with speed where roosters have lost sbw and fpn ,rabbits lost sam b and ben t

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This time last year we were on 12 points and were leading the comp with Manly and Gold Coast. Those wins at that stage weren't anymore as impressive as what we've done this year and that was with a full side. We were more lucky that anything else last year.

This year we're only 2 wins behind where we were this time last year. Include the Rabbitohs game as a win and all of a sudden we're in equal 2nd place and talking about how good we've been going considering the players we've got out.

I still think with a full side we're the best team in the competition.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We started the year like we were top four contenders then the Easter curse struck, lucky we are not that far down and can regroup, lucky our NSW Cup side is full of depth but without Grahem we are lacking a bit of leadership and direction, we are also missing Josh Moz who is a rep vet that knows the rule book back to front and can challenge the Ref.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Right at this moment Id give us a 3/10 and say we would be lucky to make the 8 based on our performances so far. I base this on the following:
1. Our halves of Hokko and Reynolds are so far out of form that our attack only looks half decent with Mybe playing 5/8th. But Des is so loyal that he appears incapable of making the hard call when it comes to our present SOO incumbent halves. At least one of them should be demoted to NSW asap.
2. Our attack without B Moz looks the worst it has since pre Des - 2011. The forwards are not using the tip on play and not hunting as a pack and we roll through our sets as if they are a computer program, not a game of football.
3. Our defence lacks power and intimidation. the new faster ruck rules are not being policed fairly from team to team...we seem to get off players quicker than other teams are getting off us. We lack commitment and communication in D.
4. Our wins - Weve beaten a busted Manly twice, should have lost to the Tigers after being down 24-6 but miraculously came back to win in golden point...and against the Eels who havent won at ANZ for a thousand years...after they became so busted during the game that their centre couldnt get up off the ground to even attempt to tackle a guy running past him to score a try. Weve also had some bad losses where weve been smashed by Dragons and Tigers - two teams whos rosters are really not top 4 contenders.
5. For a team that has made 2 of the past 3 grand finals....we have a lot of work to do to become competitive.

What do you good people think?
ive been very loyal to our halves this season and dont really see where mbye offers anything different, in saying that its become a joke the lack of creativity and the way hodko and reynolds are playing ...our attack inside the 30 is non existent we have nothing and our halves are the worst in the comp..
bmoz does and plays like a great fullback should, hes always around the play looking for that offload to come to him, this style of footy is nothing new, but its something out team does very little of...
defence wins games we are ok there but we do have a tendency of our wingers coming way to far infield and being caught out...
cant knock our wins, a win is a win how ever it comes, im more concerned with our losses in games we should be winning, like last week against the tigers...what happened there no one knows.
overall a solid 5/10, will improve dramatically when all players are back on board

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bad start, will finish strong

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would say a 3/10, but we have been disrupted by injury and suspension. We look disorganised in the oppositions 22 and seem to rarely create opportunities. Without Bmoz and Graham we are no threat. If hokko and Reynolds find form and create opportunities then we are a chance this year. Their form influences the form of others. I still believe we can win the title this year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not the start we would have dreamed of, but with plenty of reasons. At first we were winning but not being convincing, but had a number of new players in key positions, trying to get combos going and the team adjusting to the new lineup. Ennis > Lichaa being the biggest adjustment. Hod not playing well as he doesnt seem to have recovered from his surgery and lack of offseason, and Reynolds getting suspended didnt help either.

Then the souths match happened, and ripped the guts out of our side. I expect with our key players back and some time playing with the same lineup we will recover, and i reckon we are 100% to at least make the 8. Theres a lot of rounds left.

On the upside, we are currently still above Roosters and Manly, and equal with Souths. So it could be worse. Manly lost 5 in a row, Roosters 4, and South 4 in a row. We havent lost more than 2 in a row yet.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rather have this form now than in the last 4 rounds. Wins have not been convincing and when I watched the Souths game I thought we were slipping into gear and would charge on from there. Alas, the injuries and susp have hit and it has hurt. However, our team will be getting people back week after week now so I expect improvement. FFS we are only a few games off 1st place and it's rd8 so there is little to worry about I think.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The only thing that is keeping us close to the pack is that every other team is pretty shit too, we will scrape into the 8 if we are lucky and don't cop any more injuries

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last year was the best start to a season we've had since 2002, we then went on to only just scrape into the 8.

We've had a shit start this year hopefully we finish strong unlike last.

Status
Not open for further replies.