How to fix the sloppy attack- 9- JMK, 7- Frawley, 6-Foran

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is very little depth in the club however Eastwood does not seem to be able to cope with the pace of the game defensively and is an easy target. Woods was woeful again. Most tries are being scored through Hopoate / Montoya - neither of whom are quality first graders. Attack is non existent which is starting from slow play the balls and dummy half service.
Id be giving Toomaga, Olive and Holland a run ahead of Eastwood Hopoate and Montoya - they are not stars but might step up.
Looking forward to 2020.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether Daniel Holdsworth is still going around? He might be a better option at 6 than JMK? I am sure we could find a way to fit him under the salary cap with a back-loaded contract of some sort .....
Haha....I just sent a connect request on Linkedin.
He's an assistant U20s coach at Cronulla.
Fuck me how big is Cronulla's coaching staff? Everybody seems to go there when looking for a job.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There is very little depth in the club however Eastwood does not seem to be able to cope with the pace of the game defensively and is an easy target. Woods was woeful again. Most tries are being scored through Hopoate / Montoya - neither of whom are quality first graders. Attack is non existent which is starting from slow play the balls and dummy half service.
Id be giving Toomaga, Olive and Holland a run ahead of Eastwood Hopoate and Montoya - they are not stars but might step up.
Looking forward to 2020.
You think Holland & Olive are better players than Hopoate???
Yes that side is leaking tries but:-
1. Mainly because of overlaps created by the forwards bunching in the centre of the field.
Causing the backs having to slide in defence close to the line to counter the overlap.

2. Or by kicks behind Montoya due to the umbrella defence patten used by Pay.

Reactions: Vek

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Make an offer to mason lino to be our starting halfback and shift foran to 6.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There s only one thing I want desperately to see. Move up in defence and hold the opposition at the advantage line. I am sick, sick, sick of seeing our players moving backwards in defence. Move up and tackle with momentum and intensity. Make each tackle hurt.
Agree 100%. No domination. All my wife hears sometimes is me yelling at the tv "move up!!!! Tackle him!! Weve been doing this for years. We are like dears lost in the headlights sometimes and just look dumbfounded. Watching on with Dejuvu knowing a try is going to to be scored against us in the next 5 seconds. Im no coach so I dont know why we do this.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Frawley cost us the game with like 5 minutes to go last week in NSW Cup.

**** shouldn't even be lining up for Ron Massey this weekend.

Please, never, ever mention his name and first grade again.
Totally agree
The bloke is average reserve grader
Should not be considered for NRL

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You think Holland & Olive are better players than Hopoate???
Yes that side is leaking tries but:-
1. Mainly because of overlaps created by the forwards bunching in the centre of the field.
Causing the backs having to slide in defence close to the line to counter the overlap.

2. Or by kicks behind Montoya due to the umbrella defence patten used by Pay.
Don't know if they are better or not but I do know that the defence of Hopoate and Montoya is poor. I don't think any of those four are long term solutions - they are all average to fringe first graders at best. I'm clutching at straws.
I though Hopoate would be better in defence at centre - he is repeatedly missing tackles and making poor decisions.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know if they are better or not but I do know that the defence of Hopoate and Montoya is poor. I don't think any of those four are long term solutions - they are all average to fringe first graders at best. I'm clutching at straws.
I though Hopoate would be better in defence at centre - he is repeatedly missing tackles and making poor decisions.
Can't agree...he has missed one third the tackles of Jackson for example.
Most of our defensive woes are comming from the centre of the field.
He is a better player than those guys hands down.

Chana

Waterboy
Reaction score
Its easy to see what the problem is. Apart from an ageing roster and players that are there to fill the gaps due to the salary cap, the team has been built to follow structures. Now that the focus has shifted to less structure and playing what is in front, we just don't have the smarts to do it.

A perfect example was against the roosters, their defence rushed up quickly and when we tried to go wide there wingers were quick to mark our edge players. A smart team would realise this and kick over the top into space, which would allow our players to potentially score or at least put their defence on notice that if they rushed we would kick. The other was to see how the bunnies beat the roosters the week before with Cook speeding up the ruck and running up the middle, Lichaa talked this up in an interview and I thought would do the same but didn't.

Foran kicked over the defensive line last night and it paid off but he needs a halves partner that can take the pressure off him and keep the opposition guessing, JMK is not that player and has been picked because he can tackle. I know Cleeland leaks points but we really need a spark and I would take a punt on him, at least give him a chance.

Licha needs to move to lock as he can tackle and doesn't have to think much, just run and tackle. JMK to hooker as he is quicker, has a step and better ball delivery. Get Holland off the bench, he either plays in the backs somewhere or doesn't play. Add Toomaga to the bench as he is more mobile and can have an impact. Woods needs to go to the bench and not start as he would go better against a team that is starting to get tired as he has an offload. Mbye needs to run off these forwards like Barber used to do.

We need to move some pieces and take some risks otherwise we are flogging a dead horse.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no dropping Woods. There are no better players to replace him with.

Also they are not far off winning these games.

Problems:-

No.1 - Lichaa. He is killing us with slow service from.DH.

No. 2 - Forwards lack of fitness relative to other teams. Our forwards run out of puff in the 2nf half, get dominated and start dropping the ball. That gives up field position and as a result there is very few opportunities to score in the 2nd half. A patten that is being repeated in most games.

No. 3 - JMK at 6. Not really working in attack is it? He has heaps of potential but.....
Spot on with all 3 points. Id add a 4th point. Foran is a superstar 5/8 not a hb. He needs to play or the left side of the field where his played most of his career. Next to RFM simple.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is no dropping Woods. There are no better players to replace him with.

Also they are not far off winning these games.

Problems:-

No.1 - Lichaa. He is killing us with slow service from.DH.

No. 2 - Forwards lack of fitness relative to other teams. Our forwards run out of puff in the 2nf half, get dominated and start dropping the ball. That gives up field position and as a result there is very few opportunities to score in the 2nd half. A patten that is being repeated in most games.

No. 3 - JMK at 6. Not really working in attack is it? He has heaps of potential but.....
1 Is solved with JMK at 9 imo.
3 Is solved with Frawely at 7 and Foran at 6. Foran can play his game better at 6. Its the best we can do.
2 either needs time, and maybe a well known player dropped to set a tough example (my opinion woods due to his errors).

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There s only one thing I want desperately to see. Move up in defence and hold the opposition at the advantage line. I am sick, sick, sick of seeing our players moving backwards in defence. Move up and tackle with momentum and intensity. Make each tackle hurt.
The way Penrith defended us on Friday was the way we were supposed to defend this year “Dogs of War” style.
It still irks me when I recall Pay stating “when teams play against the Bulldogs, they’ll know about it”.... in hindsight, that’s all lip service. I’ve not seen a game this year were we were physically dominant.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The first thing the big men are going to do is run at JM, is he up to it?

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The only way to improve (not fix) one of our many problems is to get rid of Lichaa and Foran.

Manly can take Lichaa for Hastings and the Raiders can have Foran for Sezer

Hoppa
Bmoz
Mbye
Jmoz
Olive/Holland
Hastings
Sezer
Woods
Brown
Klemmer
Jackson
RFM
Priest

Ogden
Toomaga
Eastwood
JMK

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We did look better in attack with this combination.
Yes we definitely did, thanks for the comment :grinning:

I am proud of the team tonight, no doubt. Errors here and there, but the refs calls (morris "block" and ignoring Isaako knock on etc) ruined it. Our tries were great to watch tonight.

I say we keep this combo, but swap Clay Priest for To'Omaga. I wish we made these changes earlier, but it proves that the roster is not fully to blame. We can compete and put up some great footy with this combo.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Forans body cannot handle the week to week grind of the NRL.

We are doomed

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Foran is shot and not contributing worth his pay. Is it Time to drop him to nsw cup, and hope he retires. His dad is rich so I don’t think money is a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.