how ridiculous is international rugby league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the rules as they are now. I don't see an issue with it at all.

I'd be proud to play for my home country Malta if given the chance, but why should that then not allow me to play for the state I lived my whole life in?

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's only an issue because of Origin, that series was really poorly thought out, the history gets hyped but the series was only stated in 1980........ what exactly where the people in charge back in 1980 thinking as far as expansion of the game?

At some point, if NRL is going to expand and try to become a national sport at least, someone is going to have to rethink Origin, and replace it with something that doesn't work against expansion beyond 2 states while excluding everyone else. Allowing players to play for national teams but still elect a Origin side is a good start, but ultimately Origin needs to become something else.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was a fun concept after the ANZAC test, lets not let get to serious, the islanders will always back the Kiwis up when its against the Aussies or Poms at the end of the year.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is kinda bullshit but its the only realistic way to grow the game. Union does it too....Craig Gower played for Italy, Wing played for Japan.
supposedly he is part Italian

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
origin isa bit of a cancer like that.

The game cant grow because if you have a bunch of melbourne or perth kids in the system, then that demeans and defeats and undermines the origin concept.
Not really. Origin has always been about NSW players vs QLD players. Not Australian players vs other Australian players.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get why we need International football during a season. Should be post season.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get why we need International football during a season. Should be post season.
Personally, I dont mind it as the game is still on the tips of everyones minds.
What I do NOT like, is international before origin! so counter logical.

It should be the best of the clubs come together to origin, and the best of origin gets picked for Australia, top of the tree.

When CvC was relevant, then that should before origin. League is not always logical.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Other countries should just git gud.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cant just flip flop from country to country. IF Australia has great depth or new zealand then so be it. Cant just offload players to fiji, samoa england even.

Just shows its not a true international game.

If the Kumils get beaten 92-0 then so be it, at least its a side that originates from that country.

Its the biggest joke, Josh McGuire example lol..

How does the olympic games work? just offload people to other countries if you have a strong track and field... no... its always the jamaicans and USA that dominate. thats just how it is.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You cant just flip flop from country to country. IF Australia has great depth or new zealand then so be it. Cant just offload players to fiji, samoa england even.

Just shows its not a true international game.

If the Kumils get beaten 92-0 then so be it, at least its a side that originates from that country.

Its the biggest joke, Josh McGuire example lol..

How does the olympic games work? just offload people to other countries if you have a strong track and field... no... its always the jamaicans and USA that dominate. thats just how it is.
It does happen in the Olympics but its not as common. Oil rich arabs poach athletes, particularly Africans. If you are the #4 runner in Kenya and barely scratching a living, and some shiek offers your kids good schooling, a house etc, its not much of a choice.

I doubt the PNG Rugly Leaguie are offerring that to JOsh Maguire though :grinning:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PNG would be ranked 4th in the world if we were talking home grown players. The Hunters are currently sitting first on the QLD cup ladder which many rate as the second strongest competition behind the NRL.

Pie Dome

Waterboy
Reaction score
International Rugby League has always been a farce.

International Rugby League will always been a farce.

/end.
IT will be a farce until Australia (Administrators , Club Owners, Fans and Media) stop being so parochial.Get away from the fixation of Origin and NRL and see the bigger picture in an increasingly competitive sports market: Soccer,NFL,Women's sports etc.
Australia have to genuinely engage....play away Tests in the Pacific Islands, promote neutral referees,release players for full tours, respect eligibility rules etc.The whole game Northern and Southern Hemispheres have got to work together to enforce critical mass in the global sports market.
Don't get me wrong we have as many myopic attitudes to expansion in the British game...I call them the M62 Dinosaurs.
We all believe we have the Greatest Game....we all should work together to prove it to the world!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
To raise the skill level of the 2nd, 3rd tier nations is a good thing for international league because we need them to get better. The really ridiculous thing is when there are 60+ points to nil blowouts all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.