How much should we pay for Burton ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've reportedly offered him 400K a season for 2022 and 2023. Seems the offer isn't quite good enough to get him over the line. I really don't want to see us miss out on him like we did with Api and Grant. I don't want to see us miss out to save a mere 100K a season. Think about what happens if we don't get him. Puts heaps more pressure on young Flanagan and where else are we finding a good young 5/8 ?

I'm really concerned the Roosters will sign Stephen Crichton ASAP to replace Josh Morris for 2022. If they do then the Panthers will be increasing their offer considerably to Burton to play centre. We need to get his signature on a contract NOW.

I think we should seriously consider offering 500K a season for 3 years if that's going to get the deal done now. Give him a timeline til the end of the week. If he doesn't sign offer 700k to Jarome Luai and to Jahrome Hughes and also do a backflip and give Burton 1 extra week. 1st in best dressed.

I hope our club is smart enough to actively pursue Luai anyway and let the Panthers know about it (media report). If we go for both it puts more pressure on the Panthers to increase their offer to Luai and thus to release Burton.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't get into prices and stuff because I believe the cap is straight bullshit, but whatever amount it takes to get him here I wouldn't mind.

This new admin has shown they have more knowledge and skill than the previous mobs already so I'll let them do what they do.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've reportedly offered him 400K a season for 2022 and 2023. Seems the offer isn't quite good enough to get him over the line. I really don't want to see us miss out on him like we did with Api and Grant. I don't want to see us miss out to save a mere 100K a season. Think about what happens if we don't get him. Puts heaps more pressure on young Flanagan and where else are we finding a good young 5/8 ?

I'm really concerned the Roosters will sign Stephen Crichton ASAP to replace Josh Morris for 2022. If they do then the Panthers will be increasing their offer considerably to Burton to play centre. We need to get his signature on a contract NOW.

I think we should seriously consider offering 500K a season for 3 years if that's going to get the deal done now. Give him a timeline til the end of the week. If he doesn't sign offer 700k to Jarome Luai and to Jahrome Hughes and also do a backflip and give Burton 1 extra week. 1st in best dressed.
I agree with that. $500K is reasonable. When it comes to spine positions sometimes you have to pay overs. Just imagine if we had paid Grant that extra $50K and signed him....

If the mail is to be believed then apparently Burton has already agreed to terms. I can't imagine he's not happy with $400K when he'd be on minimum wage at Penrith. If he's hesitating it would probably be because he doesn't want to leave Penrith. I agree with the deadline though. If he hasn't made a decision put a deadline on it.

D-Voice has hinted we will get some good news "soon" so hopefully there will be an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I would’ve gave him 500k a year 3 year deal.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We can't offer more than 500k imo. I think 400k is fair (I'm not really comfortable offering more), but like you said we don't want to miss out on him either. We can keep Averillo and five-eighth and play JAC at fullback (if we sign him) if he's demanding that much.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read that report that Rorters want to sign Critta to replace Morris too.
Fucking LOL, Moz is on like $250k and they can do a straight swap no questions asked?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fucking LOL, Moz is on like $250k and they can do a straight swap no questions asked?
They're apparently close to signing that young Suaalii kid from the Rabbitohs. Angus Crichton, Friend, Liu, B/J. Morris, Tedesco (more than likely re-signs) and Tupou off contract end of 2021. It isn't going to be a one for one replacement (J. Morris), they'll have to lose elsewhere too.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Speak to the rorter supporter Kambahone apparently he reckons the Roosters aren’t cheats and they are under the cap :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

$500 is a fair price for Burton but if it makes the Panthers release him early then throw an extra $100K at him and make it $600K per season just to lock him up. Good halves are rare these days!

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton does not need cash splurged at him, he needs future, he’s young, he needs to be told not only has he got a 6 spot available he’s also got a blues jersey available. A kangaroo’s jersey available. If he sits at Penrith he’s not only stopping his own want for a position he’s stopping being picked for these games, blues need some new blood in the halves. Filter was blooded very young. Nathan maybe a 7 for a bit longer but he could be nsw’s 6 like Munster. But needs a full season. He won’t get that at Penrith. Make his dream come a reality. If he stays he only has himself to blame . Penrith won’t benefit from him staying. But they will have the same thought process like we did with Anasta, sherwin, Thurston. He could be in the mix for state and national selection if he wants. That’s the choice, that’s the pledge, that’s the dream the culture of our club should sell

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m assuming that’s a big reason we signed the all blacks coach

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Play for us because you want to, for something bigger, not because you think we need you?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think 4-500k is about right. If he doesn’t want to sign play Avo at 6.

I know people on here have said Avo should play fullback, has he ever played there or is that just an idea that was started on here. My understanding is he’s always been in the halves.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$500k is a bit rich for a 6 game player , and most have been off the bench. The guy either wants an opportunity or not. Id like to think we are close to landing someone soon, and hope burton has been given a timeline so we can move on to others. If he was to come across for 21 the signing one way or another would need to be announced asap due to be pre season training is underway allready. Baz would want the newbies asap

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
$500k is a bit rich for a 6 game player , and most have been off the bench. The guy either wants an opportunity or not. Id like to think we are close to landing someone soon, and hope burton has been given a timeline so we can move on to others. If he was to come across for 21 the signing one way or another would need to be announced asap due to be pre season training is underway allready. Baz would want the newbies asap
It depends on the player and how much noise has been created about them before playing NRL too, for e.g. 500k for Grant back in last November (before he played a game in the NRL) was a risk well worth taking. I don't think Burton's at that level of hype/ability personally. Tino did go to the Titans for 700k in a pretty similar situation so maybe I'm wrong and that's just the market these days... Barrett knows better than any of us anyways, we'll make the right decision.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think 4-500k is about right. If he doesn’t want to sign play Avo at 6.

I know people on here have said Avo should play fullback, has he ever played there or is that just an idea that was started on here. My understanding is he’s always been in the halves.
Averillo looks like a genuine five-eighth, I think there's a lot more development for him in the fullback role.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
^^To a certain point I agree just fn sign him it's a must, really we need to get this done or Flanno might be under extreme pressure in '21.
He will be expected to carry our asses with mainly underwhelming troops around him..which will be detrimental to his development too.
Im sure Baz knows this and they are doing their best I just don't get the delay of either good or bad news.