Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How I nearly lost my leg
By Steve Ricketts
August 17, 2005

BARRY Berrigan is still counting his blessings after a seemingly simple calf muscle injury could have led to him losing his lower left leg.

Scar tissue ... Berrigan displays his war wound at training. Pic: Darren England

The Broncos hooker has made a quicker than expected recovery from surgery and has been selected for Sunday's away match against Penrith.

Just six weeks ago he was in hospital facing the prospect of muscle wastage that could have ended his career.

If he had not sought help when he did he might have faced an amputation.

"That was the worst case scenario," Berrigan said.

"I got a cork in the match against Cronulla on July 3 but didn't think much of it. I knew something was wrong that night when I couldn't sleep because of the pain.

"I went to [physiothe******] Rob Godbolt and he took me to a doctor, and then I was admitted to hospital for decompression surgery. They operated and as part of the recovery process they left the wound open for a few days to disperse the pressure.

"The doctor did a wonderful job and he said if I had not sought help when I did and just gone to work and hobbled around for another 24 hours they may have had to amputate. It would have been lights out, leg off."

Berrigan's condition was caused by the progressive development of compression in the arteries and a reduction of blood supply.

Advertisement:
It can result in swelling, restriction of movement, severe pain and muscle degeneration which then can lead to a permanent contractual deformity.
Berrigan was not due back until the final-round clash with the Eels at Parramatta Stadium on September 2.

But his general fitness and work ethic will see him return against the Panthers on Sunday pending a final strength test for the leg which is now dominated by a 22cm scar from the operation.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
that would have been soo scary for Bazza :(:(
IM just glad it worked out for him! and he can continue to play :D

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
that would have been scary for anyone. gald he is ok

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
man i saw the title of the thread and i was thinking something happened to you bandit

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
When you break our leg for the first time... it feels that you are not going to walk ever again...

and i understand how barry berrigan was feeling at that tiume...

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i feel sorry for him...but moreso for todd byrne. that was a leg break gone horrendously wrong.
compartments has to suck big time. hes lucky everything went well. i remember watching someone who had shattered their arm in a car accident, and they almost lost it. the arm was a fantastic shade of violet before the opened it up
they do the same thing for burns victims (the decompression). the bali bomb victims were opened up as soon as the hit the tarmac

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr Rodriguez™ said:
man i saw the title of the thread and i was thinking something happened to you bandit
haha.....hey dont worry ive had a 3 operations on the one leg so far, but i havent lost it!

Status
Not open for further replies.