News How Dogs great Ennis and a club sponsor could lure Bennett to Belmore

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone whinges and moans esp game day how shit pay....
If it takes a sponsor willing to help finance a deal To get one of these Coaches and implement the change now then i say let it happen just proves how stupid this board and incompetent they are . If it take a sponsor to move outside the club is a reflecton of how fed up we all are as supporters and sponsors alike

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Bennett. Pay stays! but no jersey sponsor is actually shameful. In 40 years I can’t remember a team without a jersey sponsor for more than a week or so. I’m sure there has been a time... but I actually can’t remember what team or when...

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Bennett. He is still a very good coach. He might actually be very successful at the dogs and may even lure a few players to the club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No to Bennett. Pay stays! but no jersey sponsor is actually shameful. In 40 years I can’t remember a team without a jersey sponsor for more than a week or so. I’m sure there has been a time... but I actually can’t remember what team or when...
We had a period of no sponsor in 2009 in between Stardome and Jaycar where we put Camp Quality on the jersey as a charity partnership.
Remember we had a sponsor earlier this year until that was stuffed by two former employees. And right now it's pretty damn difficult getting a couple of mil discretionary spend from anyone with that little pandemic thing going on...

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If this sponsor wants such a say the least they can do is upgrade to a major sponsorship. Ennis has talked plenty of shit over the last few years about the club and plenty of it has been valid mind you so it would be interesting to see if he walked the talk. Ennis’ obsession with wanting Reynolds back at the club is a major red flag. There’s probably nothing more then a passing suggestion from a sponsor and it’s not worth fussing over. All these rumours are going to swirl around the club until a decision is made unfortunately.
Yeh I agree bud but there is a marked difference between chipping in 50-100k to get a coach over and becoming a major sponsor which costs I believe 500k to a mil minimum

once the coach comes over than u can start building on the sponsorship marketing corporate etc

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harvey norman up 17-20% compared to this time last year...
We had a period of no sponsor in 2009 in between Stardome and Jaycar where we put Camp Quality on the jersey as a charity partnership.
Remember we had a sponsor earlier this year until that was stuffed by two former employees. And right now it's pretty damn difficult getting a couple of mil discretionary spend from anyone with that little pandemic thing going on...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, I was hammered on here for even suggesting his name, guess he could be in the frame now,you just never know..
If ennis’s commentary is anything to go by I believe he’s got a brilliant footy mind and doesn’t talk bs.
He speaks with passion and sincerity imo

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As a man manager no one has the players respect in the game like bennet. He went to dragons and attracted players. He went to the knights he attracted players (fair enough didn’t get the results but neither has anyone else). Went back to the broncos attracted played. Came to Souths. Had closed the deal on jai arrows, Mitchell. Possibly JAC, signed that 16 year old kid.

Although his on field success might be in question lately. The way he brings in players (either through respect or loyalty, or pushing cap limits/tpa’s) is second to none.

With bellemy I think he is the master of identifying young and developing. With bennett I think he is the bring in the big guns no matter price.

He’d be the perfect roosters coach. And I think he would build a competitive roster. I just don’t think his gameplay is suited to 2021 rugby league anymore. The pace of the game, the 6 again, the quick mobile forwards as opposed to the hulking players. Great football mind. But age might have gotten the best of him.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually bennett is quite innovative, it was his idea the 6 again rule
As a man manager no one has the players respect in the game like bennet. He went to dragons and attracted players. He went to the knights he attracted players (fair enough didn’t get the results but neither has anyone else). Went back to the broncos attracted played. Came to Souths. Had closed the deal on jai arrows, Mitchell. Possibly JAC, signed that 16 year old kid.

Although his on field success might be in question lately. The way he brings in players (either through respect or loyalty, or pushing cap limits/tpa’s) is second to none.

With bellemy I think he is the master of identifying young and developing. With bennett I think he is the bring in the big guns no matter price.

He’d be the perfect roosters coach. And I think he would build a competitive roster. I just don’t think his gameplay is suited to 2021 rugby league anymore. The pace of the game, the 6 again, the quick mobile forwards as opposed to the hulking players. Great football mind. But age might have gotten the best of him.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And at the bare minimum we’d be able to Attract a major sponsor ffs

Dog R Us

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bennett's last decade hasn't been anything to rave about. He left a monumental mess at the Knights- very similar to Des Hasler with us except Hasler did at least get us to a GF. His return to the Broncos was ordinary considering the cattle they got....and they couldn't wait to get rid of him after some performances in the semi-finals that you would have to say, with the quality of the players, were not mentally prepared. Last year he got a Souths team that nearly made the GF under Siebold- and they have maintained that form. Certainly haven't improved.

I keep hearing what a great player manager he is but what player has improved under him at Newcastle, the Broncos or Souths ? Maybe Liam Knight-although this year he is struggling. He moved into some ready made teams.

Compare that to Bellamy who even without Slater & Cronk still can get average first graders from other clubs to perform, however the Storm also have a great developmental program that produces the likes of Munster, Papenhuyzen & Kaufusi. Where are our gun young players? Bellamy couldn't deliver with our roster- no one can.

I think getting some quality on the park is more important than replacing Pay. Personally id start with going real hard at Harry Grant- he is a sensation and we REALLY need a quality dummy half . Matt Burton from the Panthers as the playmaker- has class, Jason Saab from Saints....and some hard arsed young forwards from the bush. Bring John Bateman back from the UK.....& i wish we could bring Finucane back too!

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bennett's last decade hasn't been anything to rave about. He left a monumental mess at the Knights- very similar to Des Hasler with us except Hasler did at least get us to a GF. His return to the Broncos was ordinary considering the cattle they got....and they couldn't wait to get rid of him after some performances in the semi-finals that you would have to say, with the quality of the players, were not mentally prepared. Last year he got a Souths team that nearly made the GF under Siebold- and they have maintained that form. Certainly haven't improved.

I keep hearing what a great player manager he is but what player has improved under him at Newcastle, the Broncos or Souths ? Maybe Liam Knight-although this year he is struggling. He moved into some ready made teams.

Compare that to Bellamy who even without Slater & Cronk still can get average first graders from other clubs to perform, however the Storm also have a great developmental program that produces the likes of Munster, Papenhuyzen & Kaufusi. Where are our gun young players? Bellamy couldn't deliver with our roster- no one can.

I think getting some quality on the park is more important than replacing Pay. Personally id start with going real hard at Harry Grant- he is a sensation and we REALLY need a quality dummy half . Matt Burton from the Panthers as the playmaker- has class, Jason Saab from Saints....and some hard arsed young forwards from the bush. Bring John Bateman back from the UK.....& i wish we could bring Finucane back too!
This. Also when has Wayne ever rebuilt a roster that's in the shape ours is in? It's one thing to attract players to a good side especially players who need abit of off field guidance like Mitchell and Roberts but we need to build a strong overall squad that can be perennial contenders, Bennett usually leaves scorched earth after his tenure

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett was emphatic he wasn’t moving, these journalists are continuing to make up shit to fill their quotas.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bennett was emphatic he wasn’t moving, these journalists are continuing to make up shit to fill their quotas.
IF it was true, Bennett would have to lie. I don't think it confirms or denies anything. If you say nothing it's obvious something is up. I think coaches from day one shouldn't comment on anything like this even if it's false. Our club should also do the same, they come out and say we 100% don't have interest in X or at least don't now.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have always said no....BUT if any truth to it an it happens, then YES , fuck it, better than Pay.!!!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have always said no....BUT if any truth to it an it happens, then YES , fuck it, better than Pay.!!!!
I don't want Bennett but I couldn't say no either. If he does come he has to develop an assistant coach. Ex-players like Cronk, Ennis or Graham. I see Bennett as a very short term option.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last week "apparently" the dogs board were trying to get a few sponsors to "chip in" as 3rd party sponsors to lure Bellamy in, all of a sudden a "sponsor" and Ennis want to lure Bennett in.

It's clear as day that Pay wont be here next year, but ffs just announce the next years coach before the little quality that is left on the player market starts signing elsewhere.
I have said the same thing many times before, I am sick of repeating it...No not really !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IF it was true, Bennett would have to lie. I don't think it confirms or denies anything. If you say nothing it's obvious something is up. I think coaches from day one shouldn't comment on anything like this even if it's false. Our club should also do the same, they come out and say we 100% don't have interest in X or at least don't now.
it's called political correctness

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Harvey norman up 17-20% compared to this time last year...
Yeah, those retailers have done well with lockdown with people setting up home offices and tackling other domestic projects. Doesn’t mean you’re going to easily convince them to hand over $2m.