How do you come back from this?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did they even have possession of the ball lol?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Definitely commit sudoku

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coach wpuld have fucked off well before fulltime so he wouldn't have said anything is my guess.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s similar to the shellacking one of our girls teams dished out recently. Not nearly as many points but 60-0 win by our JF boys yesterday too.

When there are beatings this bad, I feel pity and sympathy because it’s like the loser is playing a different sport or something. It’s reminiscent of the world cup when a country with very minimal rugby league experience has a crack. There’s been some big scorelines in those cases over the years. Russia copped it iirc.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Recent Mal Meninga cup game (qld equivalent of sg ball). This is a 70 minute game.

23 tries. 19 conversions. A try every 3 minutes.

What does the coach even say?

View attachment 107827
Gotta feel sorry for the kids playing on the losing team. When I was playing U13's we'd beaten every team bar the West's development team. Nobody had come within 30 points all year and by the finals they were absolutely demolishing everybody by 40 plus points and rarely letting in a try. We had one monster forward at that time who held his own. He was recruited by Wests before the next season. But it was demoralising to every other team getting flogged by a team that'd likely scalp their best players and be better as an U14's team.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story of Sachin Tendulkar and another Indian cricketer who put on a 650+ partnership in a school match. The other kids who were bowling just gave up and started crying.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's hardly like other grades are fending much better sadly.

Cyril Connell Cup - 7 games, 0 wins, closest game they lost 34 - 6.

In Mal Meninga Cup they are on -470 points difference after 11 rounds, and the only club not to have hit 80 points in attack.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I couldn't find possession, tackle stats. Would have been interesting.

When the dogs were thrashed by 90 odd points by the rooters in the 30s, it would have been about 120 with 4 point trys
Those were the unlimited tackle days. In the late 1950’s when I started going to games, teams like Saints could have possession for an entire half or close to it. i would think in the 1930’s they probably could do that too. Rooster beat us 91 to 6 and Saints beat us 87 to 7. Think those scores are correct.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those were the unlimited tackle days. In the late 1950’s when I started going to games, teams like Saints could have possession for an entire half or close to it. i would think in the 1930’s they probably could do that too. Rooster beat us 91 to 6 and Saints beat us 87 to 7. Think those scores are correct.
That's crazy. I don't think I could sit around watching one team with possession for an entire half, glad they changed the rules.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's crazy. I don't think I could sit around watching one team with possession for an entire half, glad they changed the rules.
l arm also glad they changed the rules. Saints between 1956 and 1966 were bloody good. They had depth like you would not believe or could do these days. 11 first grade comps in a row speaks for itself, but during those 11 years they also won at least half the reserve grade and third grade premierships as well. Most people who grew up in that era hated them.

I played under unlimited tackles from under 8’s to under 12’s. When it went to 4 tackles the game became quite frantic in first grade and there were a lot of offloads that were not really on. Six tackles since the early 70’s saw the game develop better. I have often wondered what the game would be like with 8 tackles, but at the moment with the silly 6agains often teams defend for close to 18 tackles anyway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
l arm also glad they changed the rules. Saints between 1956 and 1966 were bloody good. They had depth like you would not believe or could do these days. 11 first grade comps in a row speaks for itself, but during those 11 years they also won at least half the reserve grade and third grade premierships as well. Most people who grew up in that era hated them.

I played under unlimited tackles from under 8’s to under 12’s. When it went to 4 tackles the game became quite frantic in first grade and there were a lot of offloads that were not really on. Six tackles since the early 70’s saw the game develop better. I have often wondered what the game would be like with 8 tackles, but at the moment with the silly 6agains often teams defend for close to 18 tackles anyway.
St George had a large number of full time paid players back then, when everyone else had players that were part time. We'd train Tuesday and Thursday nights. Kevin Ryan set up the first Berries gym, we didn't have one before that.

Always a Bulldog