How do you become a bulldogs 18th Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

HickeyTickey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I sent in an email after the SBW fiasco about my pop which goes as follows,

I would like to make a nomination for the Bulldogs 18th Player to be my Pop. Mr George Lewis.

My Pop has been a bulldogs supporter now for 40 years, he has experienced the highs and lows of the club, however his passion for the blue and white has never faltered.

Dogs & Family
The Bulldogs are a part of our family no matter what. Whether you are my girl cousins who are mad roosters supportors, or my mad brother who supports the Titans, my pop loves each of them the same. But between myself, my pop and Brian (Cousin) we only ever have bled blue and white. My Nan is a mad bulldogs supporter as well she has been through the thick and thin over the last 40 years, and no matter where they are in the country they are looking to hear the score in the dogs game. My cousin at a younger age was asked who god was in a religious education class. To which my cousin replied Steve Mortimer Miss, my pop told me Steve Mortimer was god. (A note was sent home to his parents asking why he thought Steve Mortimer was god) We all know he is.

Dogs & Home
Nan and Pop have a white Car, with bulldogs seat covers and steering wheel cover, certainly not floor mats however as you may wipe your feet on the dogs, and that would certainly not happen. The white car is often accompanied by a blue and white caravan, affectionately known as “The Kennell” Now pop has had 4 Kennells in his time, no matter what colour they are when he buys the van they all end up white with the Blue Stripe thick and Bright around the centre. They have 2 Garden gnomes dressed in bulldogs clothing named after 2 of the great bulldogs, Terry Lamb and Steve Mortimer. As is the norm in our family when the Blue and Whites run onto the field all mobile phones are switched off and the main line taken off the hook, this was a rule pop made very early in the piece, I think it was the dogs shattering loss to Canberra in a grand final. The same time he was living in a blue and white house, with blue and white streamers, and his Bulldogs Socks hung proudly each side of the television.

I have never seen him prouder than the day I took him and my Nan to watch the dogs play Brisbane in 04 at Suncorp Stadium, he waved his blow up Bulldogs Finger and his flag proudly as The dogs ran onto the field. I don’t think he stopped waving his flag that day, we went on to convincingly defeat the broncos in front of a then record crowd @ Suncorp. “Good onya Roy” Keep em rolling Shrek, Shifty Keep up the good work, He was so proud, to be at the footy with his 2 Grand sons, as well as watching his heroes run around on the field. We went on to win the premiership that year.

Dogs and The Community.
Being a part time shop assistant he sees many types. Many of these people see him with his dogs hat on, his dogs shirt on, his dogs watch and they give a wry grin when we have been on the end of a loss. Younger kids come in and ask if they will win this week, course we will mate, keep behind the dogs. Young adults with Tattoos of the dogs come in saying they wish they could cover it up, after a loss, or they are getting so much flak for it from mates. Pop just smiles and says hey Mate, I have been with them for 40 years now, you win some you lose some. But what is our motto, Loyalty, Courage Passion, remember that and we will get through. If he isn’t the 18th Man there is one thing you can be sure of he will be the first person to defend anything the dogs do, always finding a positive in anything that is done in Blue and White. He is the Bulldogs, his blood type, Blue and White.

What do the Bulldogs mean to my Pop (Mr George Lewis). Quite Simply its his LIFE.

So far I have heard nothing does this mean what I sent was not good enough or is it because the club as bigger fish to fry. Bigger than a 5 generation bulldog? It saddens me I couldnt even get a thank you from the club, it really does.

mantissa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well, I thought that was a great letter,heartfelt and written with passion.
It's a shame you have not heard back from the club,but give it time,they have been rather busy the last few weeks!
Thats a true Doggies fan and we could all take a few hints from George I am sure.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Anyone who puts into the Club is an 18th supporter IMO and I wanted it based on the Wiggin model. Instead it turned into a competition. I nominated two people for the jumper and was successful.

No supporter is better than anyone who puts their heart and money where their mouth is. People on here think Goldberts isn't a supporter, but I took the time to get to know the bloke and he's as passionate as they come and goes back 3-4 generations as a supporter carrying on some proud family traditions. Others I know from the Kennel live and die for the Club like Kenny, Ryde Bulldog, Dogzrule (who I apparently know), Buster, Bigbird and of course Christabella.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
mate he doesnt need a jersey 2 get recognition. we all love the bulldogs dearly and its so hard to judge who should get 1.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find anything on the official site anymore about the 18th Player recognition .. help anyone?

~c.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Does 18th player go to a huge fan, or do they also have to be involved with the club by volunteering etc (or is that a different award?)?

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does 18th player go to a huge fan, or do they also have to be involved with the club by volunteering etc (or is that a different award?)?
I believe all of your suggestions are correct, CD. However, I cannot find anything on the Bulldogs page for nominating someone ?!

~c.

Status
Not open for further replies.