Hopoate may leave NRL to become a missionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
RUGBY LEAGUE'S hottest property, Manly young gun William Hopoate, is considering taking a two-year break from the game to fulfil his religious duties as a devout Mormon.

The 18-year-old son of former Test winger John Hopoate has six clubs chasing him and, while he has played only a handful of first-grade games, he has commanded offers reserved for Origin-class players - an honour many experts think he could gain this year. The Knights and Warriors have joined Parramatta, St George Illawarra, Canterbury and, of course, Manly, in chasing his signature but Hopoate has revealed his desire to serve as a missionary.

''I'm deeply religious, and the missionary service is something I'm taking into consideration,'' Hopoate said. ''I'm weighing up my options but it's important to me.''

Hopoate's uncle Albert left the Sydney Roosters in 2005 to fulfil his missionary duties, while his father John, remembered as one of league's most controversial figures, admitted the reason he didn't follow that path was because he was ''missionary impossible''.

''I did things that went against the teachings of our church, I didn't think I was entitled to do it,'' John said. ''But William is a good kid. Some people would think he was crazy to knock back the kind of money being offered to do church work, but it is 100 per cent his choice, and I will support him.''

The utility back said he would be proud to represent NSW this year but wondered if he was ready. ''I'm still trying to find my feet in the NRL but for them to bring up Origin is a big call at the moment,'' he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rl-to-become-a-missionary-20110430-1e20k.html

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Didn't Lagi Setu sign a contract with the Chooks then backed out for a Mormon mission?

Cobalt-60

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Didn't Lagi Setu sign a contract with the Chooks then backed out for a Mormon mission?
Dunno bout the Roosters bit, but that's def where he is these days. Preaching to the heathens.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Lagi Setu is away on mission.

It must be a tough moral decision for Mormon players to make. I am not entirely across the reasons and when they should go on mission, however surely this could be postponed until later in their careers?

He has been building towards something good with his football career, and time away could make or break it.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Jordan Rapana did the same.. Has since been eaten by a tribe.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other mormons who have left nrl for missionary reasons are:
Fraser Anderson. Think He is Playing Union Overseas Now?

Mormons who have not left nrl who are mormons (confusion about when they can leave as these guys have not made any suggestions they will leave for missionary work):
Krisnan Inu ( he believes he has a better chance to be a role model playing rugby league).
Ben Hannant
Israel Folau

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
is this the dude that stuck is finger up another players bum durin a game?

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Is Joseph Tomane a Mormon? Thought I remembered something about him possibly going when he was with Melbourne ...

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Jeremy Smith fingered his cousins bum in last weeks game also. G up poke

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
lmfao .... so go on a god bothering mission, or set yourself up for a good future as an NRL star.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jordan Rapana was another who went away on missionary duties. Poor buggers don't even realise their religion was just made up by Joseph Smith.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He needs to fulfill his duties at the NRL first, then he can donate money to his religion and kill two birds with one stone.

S

Shermy

I'm speaking from a point of view in which I am not very religious so I can't put myself in his shoes but he needs to continue his NRL career and make the most of what he has because he will be one of the better backs in the game inside the next year. He is a special talent as is his younger brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.