hobby days over willie vows to rebuild his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BULLDOG GEORGE

Hobby days over - Willie vows to rebuild his game
Adrian Proszenko | October 7, 2007

WILLIE Mason has pledged to totally overhaul his game and persona after surviving the axe for the one-off Test against New Zealand, declaring: "I'm going to be a whole new person".

Mason admitted he had become complacent in recent seasons, and took personal responsibility for the Bulldogs' dramatic crash out of play-off contention. The 27-year-old said it was time to stop treating football like a "hobby" and vowed to re-invent himself as a player and person over the off-season.

"Coming into next year, I'm really looking forward to it - I'm going to be a whole new person, totally redefine my game; think about the game a lot more," Mason told The Sun-Herald yesterday. "I've fallen into that trap of just treating it like a hobby, just cruising through and still making all those rep teams. Almost missing out on this team has really made me snap out of it and get Willie Mason back to where he was.

"I have to take responsibility. If I didn't get picked I would have copped it on the chin and not whinged. It would have been my fault. It's a bit of a wake-up call and I need to step my game up.

"With the Bulldogs I probably got a bit lazy with setting goals and was more relaxed before games. I was taking it easy and was letting my natural ability get me through.

"I've got a lot more football in me than what I showed on the field with the Bulldogs. To go to that next level I need to be totally focused by living and breathing football.

"Playing front row has left me one-dimensional. Even if you're Superman, you can't bash through four blokes. You have to play smarter and use your brain more."

Mason said he needed to bring the same intensity to club football that he displayed at Test level under Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart. He said the Kiwis would get a glimpse of the "new Willie Mason" at Westpac Stadium in Wellington next Sunday.

"I really enjoy playing under Ricky. He seems to bring the best football out of me and I want to do that every week," Mason said.

"It comes with really focusing on every single game. From now on I'm going to be writing down my goals and concentrating on every single game."

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

this guy is on 400,000 plus a year and he says he has just been cruising FFS.

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have though crashing out of the 06 finals would have taught him about complacency.

JP72

Waterboy
Reaction score
its the off season and he"s still talking rubbish.
Did we really need to know that.
Why tell us, just do it.

Top Dogg

BEWARE OF THE DOGS
Reaction score
I could always tell if Mason was going to have a big game. Some games he will run out onto the field full of enthusiasm, while other games, he would slowly walk out of the tunnel all the way to the goal line. This rubbed down to most of the side as towards the end of the season most of them were walking out onto the field.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
again nothing but him talking utter rubbish. ffs we win the award for team who talk crap

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop talking **** for once and just perform on the field instead.

K

kennyy

7months out from rd1 we already talking ****. willie wont do any of the above.

love the man but fuuck shut up please haha

H

Haztrick

^ Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Talk Talk Talk Talk and never any action. In 2006 we talked and then followed it up. If Mason can do the same here, then maybe there'll be some hope that we will back up what we say in 2008.

Top Dogg

BEWARE OF THE DOGS
Reaction score
I think he will come out better next year. He is determined and does't want to waste another year, especially with the talent we have. Give him a break guys. He is always coping it from everyone no matter what he says, good or bad, and now he has to hear it from bulldogs supporters. Give the guy a break.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Playing front row has left me one-dimensional. Even if you're Superman, you can't bash through four blokes. You have to play smarter and use your brain more."

Darren Britt said this year that Mason wasnt playing as a font rower should, and that Mason was still learning and getting used to the position.

Mason is far more effective in the second row, I dont know why we dont play him in the position he is comfortable in. We have too many quality second rowers but lack solid props, thats why our pack is not dominating anymore. Add to that backline and half issues and we are skeleton of a team

H

Haztrick

^ You said it best, we have too many quality second rowers. If anyone can move to prop and play there well, it's Mason. He has the size and power and just needs to learn to play it properly, which he will do in the off season IMO.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mason, SBW, Ryan, Maiuta, Koups, Te Maari - all very good second rowers.
Props - Armit and Hickey (bench players on form)

Melbourne - White, Lima, Kaufusi, J Smith, Cross all good solid props, starting and on the bench (similar to what we had in 04 tbh)

Our props, backline and halves have issues galore that need to be solved

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
I think we will do better next season, However if they are talking it up from know i don't really want to imagine what it will be like during the 2008 season.

We did this in 2006 and could back it up, even though to be honest we may have been 2nd but there was a major difference between us and Melbourne. Our 2006 side doesn't even compare to 2002, 2003 and 2004. Start winning some games, concentrate on your performance and then talk it up!

K

kennyy

^ Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Talk Talk Talk Talk and never any action. In 2006 we talked and then followed it up. If Mason can do the same here, then maybe there'll be some hope that we will back up what we say in 2008.
Sorry i can't say the same about your dribble

K

kennyy

Mason, SBW, Ryan, Maiuta, Koups, Te Maari - all very good second rowers.
Props - Armit and Hickey (bench players on form)

Melbourne - White, Lima, Kaufusi, J Smith, Cross all good solid props, starting and on the bench (similar to what we had in 04 tbh)

Our props, backline and halves have issues galore that need to be solved
Once again

Cross gone
Smith gone+ not a prop

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
thats the problem...we know how to talk but when it comes for us to deliver...we dont do sh1t

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
the players just need to learn how to stfu and play football...when you win something or on good form then perhaps u can say something

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Willie vows to rebuild his game

WILLIE Mason has pledged to totally overhaul his game and persona after surviving the axe for the one-off Test against New Zealand, declaring: "I'm going to be a whole new person".

Mason admitted he had become complacent in recent seasons, and took personal responsibility for the Bulldogs' dramatic crash out of play-off contention. The 27-year-old said it was time to stop treating football like a "hobby" and vowed to re-invent himself as a player and person over the off-season.

"Coming into next year, I'm really looking forward to it - I'm going to be a whole new person, totally redefine my game; think about the game a lot more," Mason told The Sun-Herald yesterday. "I've fallen into that trap of just treating it like a hobby, just cruising through and still making all those rep teams. Almost missing out on this team has really made me snap out of it and get Willie Mason back to where he was.

"I have to take responsibility. If I didn't get picked I would have copped it on the chin and not whinged. It would have been my fault. It's a bit of a wake-up call and I need to step my game up.

"With the Bulldogs I probably got a bit lazy with setting goals and was more relaxed before games. I was taking it easy and was letting my natural ability get me through.

"I've got a lot more football in me than what I showed on the field with the Bulldogs. To go to that next level I need to be totally focused by living and breathing football.

Mason said he needed to bring the same intensity to club football that he displayed at Test level under Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart. He said the Kiwis would get a glimpse of the "new Willie Mason" at Westpac Stadium in Wellington next Sunday.

"I really enjoy playing under Ricky. He seems to bring the best football out of me and I want to do that every week," Mason said.

"It comes with really focusing on every single game. From now on I'm going to be writing down my goals and concentrating on every single game."

Australia selectors ushered in a new era by picking eight debutants, including Melbourne whiz-kid Israel Folau. The NRL rookie of the year has spent long periods in the centres at club level but is preparing to play on the wing in his international debut.

"It's pretty exciting and it's good for myself and my family to be a part of rugby league history," he said when told he would become the youngest-ever Kangaroos debutant.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/willie-vows-to-rebuild-his-game/2007/10/06/1191091420745.html

Status
Not open for further replies.