Hetho v TPG v Tolman this weekend

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did people even watch all these three games?

I agree he's a benching at best but lol....we had like 30 odd percent ball. So we were always going backwards. The second half we started off with defending four sets. But yeah let's compare that to what TPJ and Tolman had to deal with lol.
Yes, I watched all three. In terms of share of possession that is a valid point, however what should happen in those situations if players tackle count goes up. I included the metres per run, metres per minute on field, and tackles per minute on field for a reason. Even if share of possession means we only have the ball 35% of the time, how do you explain an average of 7.5 metres per run? For comparison our other guys in the middle average metres per run:

Ava 8.45
Jacko 7.9
Ogden 7.2
Patolo 9.12

Hetho was given some runs on the edges in the second half, but was only better than Stimson (5). Doorey got 12.2 and Topine 11.

He was out there for 69 minutes. Any prop with that amount of time should be doing either 150m+, or 35+ tackles, if not both, depending partly on possession share. He got no where near either.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He had a good game today and is still developing, He is far off his peak. Most of his runs were up the middle tpjs were more on the edge with afew up the mdidle so i dont see why the op is comparing their stats.
TPG played in the middle today, and he is going to be here next season, hence the comparison.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes, I watched all three. In terms of share of possession that is a valid point, however what should happen in those situations if players tackle count goes up. I included the metres per run, metres per minute on field, and tackles per minute on field for a reason. Even if share of possession means we only have the ball 35% of the time, how do you explain an average of 7.5 metres per run? For comparison our other guys in the middle average metres per run:

Ava 8.45
Jacko 7.9
Ogden 7.2
Patolo 9.12

Hetho was given some runs on the edges in the second half, but was only better than Stimson (5). Doorey got 12.2 and Topine 11.

He was out there for 69 minutes. Any prop with that amount of time should be doing either 150m+, or 35+ tackles, if not both, depending partly on possession share. He got no where near either.
Well you should have compared his stats to those stats in the first place, would have made your point better ..

Comparing what he did to what TPJ did, in a top four team against a bottom feeder and Tolman did in a top 8 team against another bottom feeder team is ridiculous.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has the potential to provide something off the bench. Get him out there to do 5 or 6 strong well timed hit ups either side of half time, and put in with defense (though he just has to go lower, end of story). Work on a couple of plays between him and the spine designed to either get him into a bit of space or get a decent offload out of him, and that's it, keep it simple. If he can get decent numbers from 30-35 minute stints for a season or two, then maybe a team (not necessarily us) might consider giving him a go on the run on team.
Yeh 100%

Our biggest downfall was we relied on him too much as a starter. That isn’t his game. Hopefully with Thommo back game 1 in 2022 (and fingers crossed no judiciary issues) and Vaughan and TPJ, we see Hetho in the 17 jersey. He’d do well with a set role off the bench.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ava 8.45
Jacko 7.9
Ogden 7.2
Patolo 9.12

And I can't explain why he averages less that the other forwards in our team. Only thing I can say is they're all below par, and sometimes he averages more and sometimes they do.

Today was his turn.

Hes a benchie at best, still comparing what he did today to what props did in good teams against bottom teams isn't a fair comparison.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Hetho keeps getting selected to start and plays as many minutes as guys like Thommo, TPG, and Vaughn next season, and doesn't up his game, it will be the beginning of the end for TBaz.
Dead right. If Baz starts Hetho in front of any of those 3 he's insane.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yh it's not fair comparing Hetherington to players that are actually good.
Yes yes I know you hate him, but comparing what he did to what TPJ did in a top two Team is ridiculous.

If i recall correctly you used to say the same thing, when people were talking about Avo and Burton, when people were comparing the two hahahaha.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is a dumb thread and a shit take. Last week TPG made 12 runs for 70 meters against Souths and Tolman made 11 runs for 77 meters against Newcastle. Why don't we compare apples to apples. Against Manly three weeks ago Tolman ran for 57 meters from 7 runs.

TPG and Tolman played two teams out of the eight this week. We played a team inside thd top 4. Opposition matters. Hetheringtons last match against the Tigers he made 13 runs for 123 meters and the week before that against the Titans he made 16 runs for 170 meters.

Let's not nitpick stats. Hetherington is a good player, he just needs to control his aggression. After seeing that cat Napa for three seasons, its refreshing to see a prop who doesn't take a backwards step.
Yeah the game is about more than just stats, but equally stats can't be ignored. Some players look good but aren't truly producing on the pitch, the stats suggest Hetho is one of those. Look up the stats base on Foxsports and go through the 2021 season for props.

Average tackle breaks per game played:
Haas is 2nd
TPG is 5th
Thommo is 7th
Hetho is 49th

Run metres per game played:
Haas is 1st
Thompson is 12th
TPG is 28th
Hetho is 48th

Tackles per game played:
Thommo is 5th
Haas is 10th
Hetho is 36th
TPG is 57th

Missed tackles per game played:
Hetho is 8th
Pangai is 13th
Thompson is 30th
Haas is 74th

EDIT: I included Haas in this stats overview because he IS a middle forward who LOOKS awesome AND the stats bear it out.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes yes I know you hate him, but comparing what he did to what TPJ did in a top two Team is ridiculous.

If i recall correctly you used to say the same thing, when people were talking about Avo and Burton, when people were comparing the two hahahaha.
That's true, but Hetheringon literally played at Penrith and couldn't hold a spot. A lot of the hype is because of his family, look at all the commentators that praise him and they've all got relationships with his dad, grandfather, uncle, etc.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And I can't explain why he averages less that the other forwards in our team. Only thing I can say is they're all below par, and sometimes he averages more and sometimes they do.

Today was his turn.

Hes a benchie at best, still comparing what he did today to what props did in good teams against bottom teams isn't a fair comparison.
I didn't pick random comparisons. I picked TPG because he will be with us next season, and Tolman because even though he had to go because he was on too much, we clearly missed what he actually produced in terms of the work that any team needs a middle forward to do in a game of footy.

EDIT: also check my reply to Magic Arrow. In terms of performance across the season today was pretty representative of what Hetho produces. It wasn't just one match that he underperformed.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is a dumb thread and a shit take. Last week TPG made 12 runs for 70 meters against Souths and Tolman made 11 runs for 77 meters against Newcastle. Why don't we compare apples to apples. Against Manly three weeks ago Tolman ran for 57 meters from 7 runs.

TPG and Tolman played two teams out of the eight this week. We played a team inside thd top 4. Opposition matters. Hetheringtons last match against the Tigers he made 13 runs for 123 meters and the week before that against the Titans he made 16 runs for 170 meters.

Let's not nitpick stats. Hetherington is a good player, he just needs to control his aggression. After seeing that cat Napa for three seasons, its refreshing to see a prop who doesn't take a backwards step.
Whoever looks at stats, and not the game as a whole has no idea about footy. Nor have they played at a decent level and understand the workings of a team

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's true, but Hetheringon literally played at Penrith and couldn't hold a spot. A lot of the hype is because of his family, look at all the commentators that praise him and they've all got relationships with his dad, grandfather, uncle, etc.
I get it, he's over hyped.

I had higher hopes, I'm wrong lol. He's a benchie at best, it's just silly to compare him to TPJ lol.

Now if it was about him and Atoni, then that's a fair comparison.

Having said all that, it's not looking good for people who hate this guy because I'm sure I've heard Gus rave about him too lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Whoever looks at stats, and not the game as a whole has no idea about footy. Nor have they played at a decent level and understand the workings of a team
Are you trying to say Fetherington is good and not a liability? :tearsofjoy:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mbye vs Meaney this week.

Mbye out performed him yet again.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I had higher hopes, I'm wrong lol. He's a benchie at best, it's just silly to compare him to TPJ lol.

Having said all that, it's not looking good for people who hate this guy because I'm sure I've heard Gus rave about him too lol.
It'll be relevant if week 1 2022 Hetho is wearing 10 and TPG is wearing 15.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Roosters will get better value out of Renouf than we will of Hetherington.