Henry wants a ‘bonus’ for charged Titans – permission to play By Laine Clark,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Five Gold Coast players facing drug charges should be allowed to play after their court appearances, Titans coach Neil Henry says.

The Gold Coast mentor has revealed his concern for the quintet, saying isolation is affecting them after they were stood down with the cocaine scandal sweeping through Queensland sport.

Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling will face Southport Magistrates Court next Thursday, two days before the Titans’ NRL season opener against Wests Tigers.

And State of Origin stars Greg Bird and Dave Taylor plus outside back Kalifa Faifai Loa are set to appear on March 9.

The matters are expected to take up to two years to resolve but Henry believed the players should be given the green light to play after their initial court appearance.

“There’s been players who’ve had to go to court but they’ve still played, they haven’t been stood down, in a variety of codes, not just rugby league,” Henry said.

“In fact, playing football and being around their mates will be a real bonus.

“The isolation at the moment is making it really difficult for our players.”

Queensland’s Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) announced more arrests could be made by the end of this week or early next week as part of their investigation into the state’s cocaine trafficking syndicate that has already claimed players in two codes.

Apart from the Titans players, Queensland Reds’ code hopper Karmichael Hunt has become embroiled in the scandal.

And rumours have also linked four Broncos NRL players.

There is speculation that Brisbane will be the next NRL club engulfed in the scandal after some bookmarkers suspended betting on their NRL season opener against South Sydney next week.

Brisbane’s official line is that they are “not concerned” by the speculation after having no contact from Queensland police or crime authorities.

And it was a line veteran backrower Corey Parker stuck to on Thursday.

“It is a frenzy,” he said.

“All you guys (media) are here tiptoeing around the same question.

“But all it is is innuendo and rumours.

“I have got nothing else for you (on the topic).”

When asked whether he was shocked that Broncos players’ names had been caught up in the rumours, Parker said: “What names are they?

“You are talking about names that are floating around but you can’t give me one of them.

“It’s rumour and innuendo until those names are specified or they are tapped on the shoulder.

“There is nothing else for me to say.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/02/2...heroar/rugby-league+(The+Roar+-+Rugby+League)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
and it comes out today they covered up 2007 incidents where players tested positive to drugs.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is just getting worse by the day.Now seven (ex and current) players involved and how many of them also played for the Broncos, who now appear to be the next target.I don't normally listen to anything Anthony Mundine has to say but in the last few days he has been speaking out against the problem of drugs and the fact high profile people are and were involved, claims that relate to his early years in league also.He also played at the Broncos during the careers of several players who have been mentioned in the last few days as possible participants in the drug scene.I hope and pray that none of our players past and present ( of course we know of Jason Smith) are or have been involved.Punishment if any should be consistent across the board for any offenders irrespective of their standing within the game..

Malla

Reaction score
Harrison now charged.

Titans should be given concessions for this season. NRL needs to immediately de-register all the players involved (for good) to allow Titans enough time to recruit for next season.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is just getting worse by the day.Now seven (ex and current) players involved and how many of them also played for the Broncos, who now appear to be the next target.I don't normally listen to anything Anthony Mundine has to say but in the last few days he has been speaking out against the problem of drugs and the fact high profile people are and were involved, claims that relate to his early years in league also.He also played at the Broncos during the careers of several players who have been mentioned in the last few days as possible participants in the drug scene.I hope and pray that none of our players past and present ( of course we know of Jason Smith) are or have been involved.Punishment if any should be consistent across the board for any offenders irrespective of their standing within the game..
What charge are ex players going to get lol?

If it was years ago they wouldn't give a **** as no one can really prove it or anyone cares about some no names anymore.

We need to tackle the now and future problems not past

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ex players can be criminally charged if deemed necessary, current players can be criminally charged if necessary and de registered by the NRL. What I was saying is that punishment should be uniform for those still playing NRL irrespective of their standing within the game.

mygdok

Waterboy
Reaction score
Something I was just thinking about. A lot of these Gold Coast players were former Broncos, thus the reason why the Broncos may be caught up in this drama.

But, Beau Falloon, Dave Taylor, and Ashley Harrison are also former South Sydney Rabbitohs players as well...will the glamour boys of the competition get investigated as well

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I dont get how it could take 2 years to sort out. If i got done for dealing drugs, id be in jail next week and thats it.

They are presenting this in the media like they are all selling the drugs. I wonder how many are just using the drug though, and how many are actually dealers. Users should just get a fine and its done with. Sellers on the other hand, if found guilty, should be banned for life from NRL and should get jail time. If they did it in Bali they would be executed. I mean shit, if you are on massive money like Hunt, i cannot fathom how you would sell drugs and risk losing that income. If Hunt was selling, he deserves jail time AND a big slap for being such a wingnut.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont get how it could take 2 years to sort out. If i got done for dealing drugs, id be in jail next week and thats it.

They are presenting this in the media like they are all selling the drugs. I wonder how many are just using the drug though, and how many are actually dealers. Users should just get a fine and its done with. Sellers on the other hand, if found guilty, should be banned for life from NRL and should get jail time. If they did it in Bali they would be executed. I mean shit, if you are on massive money like Hunt, i cannot fathom how you would sell drugs and risk losing that income. If Hunt was selling, he deserves jail time AND a big slap for being such a wingnut.
We have a presumption of innocence in the Australian judicial system. They have not yet been convicted and therefore innocent until they either plead guilty or are found guilty in a court of law.

Court cases always take years to come to a conclusion. If they plead guilty it speeds up the process but if they fight it may drag on for closer to 5 years depending on how far they want to take it and how many appeals they are allowed. For some their NRL careers may be over just by the length of time this will take to resolve if the police do not drop the charges.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Neil Henry, those charged with drug offences should be allowed back to their dream job of being paid a fortune playing a game of footy a week, back to training and "hanging around their mates". Why should they be disadvantaged because if their actions. Are you even listening to yourself you Fkn idiot? They will have certainly learnt their lesson
I am so over this society and the fact people think they can act whatever way they want without thought of consequences. The irony is that People break the law then all of a sudden we have to think about how we are impacting the criminals because of the consequences they are facing, yet the criminals have clearly shown they do not give a fck about their own actions on others!

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it might be a case of innocent until proven guilty, but under the circumstances theres no way the nrl could allow players involved in this to play, they need to suspend them pending the police inquiry as the nrl itself will not investigate this, it will rely on the police

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly i think we would have to be pretty ignorant to think the titans are the only club that has covered up drug tests in the past.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
it might be a case of innocent until proven guilty, but under the circumstances theres no way the nrl could allow players involved in this to play, they need to suspend them pending the police inquiry as the nrl itself will not investigate this, it will rely on the police
Neil Henry seems to think that it is okay for them to play.Okay innocent until proven guilty as the law dictates, but can you imagine the uproar if they played the entire season and were then found guilty, much like the little wife beater who actually played after being found guilty and had a place in a winning grand final team.I suppose we should compare apples to apples but the NRL has set precedents in the past with allowing players to participate whilst under investigation for all sorts of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.