Hazem El Masri's first grade days could be numbered

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
By James Hooper
April 19, 2009

Just four games short of becoming the first man to play 300 NRL matches for the Bulldogs, sharpshooter Hazem El Masri could be on borrowed time.

It seems unthinkable but only 29 days after becoming the greatest pointscorer in NRL history, El Masri is fighting to retain his place in the team.

Boom rookie Jamal Idris continues to bide his time in Toyota Cup, but statistics paint a worrying picture for club icon El Masri.

The Bulldogs have been agonising over how to handle the possible demotion of their right winger - an icon of the local community and a wonderful role model for the game.

It is understood Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore has met with El Masri to discuss the situation, but Moore refused to confirm any meetings.

"Hazem's in the team this weekend and he's playing," Moore said.

"Like everyone, Hazem's form is going to play a part in whether he stays in the team long-term.

"The club certainly respects what Hazem has done for it, he's one of the greatest players in the history of the club. I'm sure all Bulldogs supporters would love nothing more than for him to see the season out."

Over the opening five rounds this season, El Masri's form has faded. At 33, time appears to be catching up with the winger once regarded as a brilliant right-edge defender with a freakish knack for finding the tryline.

El Masri was replaced by Matt Utai after 56 minutes of Monday night's win against South Sydney.

It was the first time he had been replaced since 2001.

More alarmingly, El Masri has had five tries scored down his side of the field this year, three from high kicks. Opposition teams have targeted the 178cm El Masri with a variety of kicks.

Ultimately, this could prove the downfall of a Bulldogs legend. On Sunday against Parramatta, El Masri must defend against Eels pair Krisnan Inu and Joel Reddy, both experts under the high ball.

In a distinguished 14-year career, El Masri's outstanding goalkicking has been an added bonus for the Bulldogs.

But the arrival of new recruits Michael Ennis and Bryson Goodwin have given the Dogs other goalkicking options.

Last Monday, Ennis booted the goal that clinched the game.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25353378-23214,00.html?from=public_rss

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If its for the good of the team then get rid of him, I love the guy but you cant argure with 5 tries scored against us on his side

But this is just hiding the fact that millard is still in FG and Idris is in NYC, I liked Moore until I saw the team named

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Basically telling us what we already know

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems to me that this article is subliminally telling us Hazem should GTFO of the team.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Idris will replace Millard, we all saw what Haz's replacement can do when he came on last week, Haz is still the better option. And 5 tries in 5 games down that side is not that bad and cant all be blamed squarely on him

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Idris will replace Millard, we all saw what Haz's replacement can do when he came on last week, Haz is still the better option. And 5 tries in 5 games down that side is not that bad and cant all be blamed squarely on him
Well if you're complaining about Hazem not taking the kicks...IMO he was fine there before Millard came in..

Sure Idris was lazy once against the Titans, but Millard doesn't even bother whenever the ball goes up into the air...note the Souths game.

I don't see Hazem being dropped if Utai who is more of a liability in defense hasn't been dropped yet though

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Im not saying i want Hazem dropped,when Idris was there it wasnt a problem as he was there giving support, Millard doesnt bother as you said. Honestly speaking, Hazs form hasnt been that bad to start the year.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree tbh... and unless we really have a superstar winger to take his spot, i don't see why he shouldn't be there.

I do believe we have better options, but i have more faith in Moore than i did in Folkes (Mostly because of him selecting Holdsworth over and over again), so if someone was performing well in the lower grades i dont think Haz will be there.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
RL has changed. To have tall, solid wingers is now the norm. Haz didn't have these problems until around 04 because he's very good at going up for, and taking bombs. Nowadays, I'd say if there is a contest between Haz and an opposing winger, 90% of the time they'd have the jump on him. In days gone past it was probably close to 50%.

Added to that, his attacking stats against Souths of 8 hit-ups for 30 metres don't do him any favours. That's less that 4 metres per hit-up. You shouldn't be less than 7. To me, I'm sorry Haz because I love you, but that's a disgrace.

I'd give him 3 more games to prove himself. If he doesn't perform WELL, not just solid, then I'd say we have to look to the future and drop him for the rest of the season. It's Nanai's turn Imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ah well, It will be weird watching the dogs play without him, Even weirder when we have a shot at goal usually know its going to go over now that confidence wont be there lol.

byebyeUTAI

>>>>> Slowem El Tragic
Reaction score
he hasbeen going down hill for a while... time to go

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
From what I understand Hazem is off contract this year and will most likely retire.

Earthquake

In Des We Trust
Reaction score
With Idris not there it's up to Hazem to try and get some yards down that sideline - but it's not happening. I remember the Daryl Halligan years where he was a very solid defender but gave us nothing much in attack. Those were sad days. I hope Hazem can maybe learn how to run straight?

We remember Rod Silva who used to be rather quick, but then got dropped to reserves towards the end of his career.

I don't know where El Magic's best possy is but his defence is going okay right now. Anyone can bring up a five tries in five games statistic - the opposition needs to score somewhere. I've seen a few very easy tries in the middle of the field but we're not going to drop The General are we?

Bulldog Bandit

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Haz hasnt been playing too badly this year, but if Moore does drop him I just hope he doesn't replace Haz with Utai, then we would really be fuked.

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
Idris in for millard.....and remove utai from anywhere near first grade and we will eb sweet, wont have any issues!......i am flabergasted to see how the hell utai comes in for anyone, especially for haz......

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Sooner or later I think Idris will take hazems wing, millard will probably stay in the centres

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
doesn't look good for hazem. as much as i love the guy, moore has to put the strongest side on the field week in and week out and if there is another player playing better than hazem well then i would replace him.

one thing im liking about moore is that he isn't going off reputation he is going off form like its suppose to be.

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if millard and utai are the replacements god help us

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Exactly, if Haz is dropped for Millard or Utai then we havnt improved. We dont have the strongest depth in our outside backs and if anyone should come in for it would be Nanai but well see how Haz goes in the next few weeks, cmon Haz big game today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.