Opinion Hastings might be available for 23?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone know what blake green’s doing?

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on a 2year deal. Play 7 next year and if we land a better half for 24 then he could possibly play 13? Having radley type player with the like of tpj, kikau, RFM wouldn't be a bad thing

Reactions: CMP

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is Hastings a 1/2 or a 5/8? I dont think he is a half. With Burton demanding to play 5/8, is he a good combo with Hastings?
I know Flanagan is not the answer, but I worry about what will develop with Hastings at 1/2.
He's a halfback, maybe lacks a bit in his long kicking game but he's an organiser and talker. He likes to be on the ball, had more touches than Cleary and Hynes pretty sure.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a no brainer. He's one of the best organising halves around. Sure he's not quick, but he reads the game very well, he organises the players and lines up the runners. He simply HAS A VOICE....while Burton and Flano don't. Due to his lack of speed he can't command top halves money, but he's better than anything else out there for 23. He'd also be a great mentor to our emerging halves.
He'd have less problems than we copped with Foz.
Agree 100%.

Like you mentioned, Hastings will give us a lot of things that we currently lack, organisation and a voice

How many times over the last 5 years have we looked unorganised, especially in the oppositions 20

Don't underestimate the importance of someone directing players 1 or 2 plays in advance so they know exactly what is coming

Add in Mahoney's crisper service from dummy half with better organisation and all of a sudden our tempo will go up a notch, which it needs to do

At a guess I'd say CC would be having an "informal" chat with Hastings, outlining what he needs in a number 7 and whether Hastings is that guy

I know we all want a "top class" number 7 but in reality there are only a few and even less that are available. Hastings would give us alot of things we are sorely lacking

Like another poster mentioned if we saved some $$ on getting Hastings we can put that towards a fullback or a top level forward

If CC wants him I think Gus will make it happen

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol he is miles ahead of what we currently have! I agree he isn’t the marquee half everyone would like. But he is way better that our current options.
Spin it which ever way you like he is a dud.

I'd rather let the Gun see out his contract and sign a quality halfback.

I mean I’d of been happy with teddy and Moses.

Addo carr is from there originally.
That is ancient history, if you are shopping around the Tigers now it is choc full of duds

spaced_monkey

Waterboy
Reaction score
What’s Hastings market value? $500k - $600k? Do we get better return on investment than Moses at $1m? And which one will work better with Burton?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not happening. Moses coming 2024
I’d take a year with whoever the fuck replaces flopagun when he cry’s again if it means moses in 24.

As someone else said maybe Hastings 7 for 23 and move him to 13 for 24?

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spin it which ever way you like he is a dud.

I'd rather let the Gun see out his contract and sign a quality halfback.

That is ancient history, if you are shopping around the Tigers now it is choc full of duds
Everyone wants the gun halfback. Reality is there are only three gun halfbacks at the moment. Cleary, DCE & Hughes are the only genuine top dollar halfbacks out there.

Flanagan will still see out his deal as a backup in Reggie’s.

We need to manage our roster now. Our current options at 7 wouldn’t even be considered stars of NSW cup.

For a stopgap 2 year deal for Hastings. Why not. The rockstar 7 is a long way off.

Moses is the only good option available for 2024. IMO he isn’t worth a million dollars. He isn’t the consistent player to be worth gun money. He will get $1,200,000 on his next deal. Whatever club signs him will be cap restricted. By paying him overs.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree 100%.

Like you mentioned, Hastings will give us a lot of things that we currently lack, organisation and a voice

How many times over the last 5 years have we looked unorganised, especially in the oppositions 20

Don't underestimate the importance of someone directing players 1 or 2 plays in advance so they know exactly what is coming

Add in Mahoney's crisper service from dummy half with better organisation and all of a sudden our tempo will go up a notch, which it needs to do

At a guess I'd say CC would be having an "informal" chat with Hastings, outlining what he needs in a number 7 and whether Hastings is that guy

I know we all want a "top class" number 7 but in reality there are only a few and even less that are available. Hastings would give us alot of things we are sorely lacking

Like another poster mentioned if we saved some $$ on getting Hastings we can put that towards a fullback or a top level forward

If CC wants him I think Gus will make it happen
Best case scenario, tigers pay some freight to free up some cap space for 23

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here is reality...
Flanagan...We are stuck with him unless by some miracle his game improves or simply leaves.
Hastings...We were interested early in the season, it's common known he isn't the greatest halfback ever lived but he could be exactly what is needed in our team, has his injury changed everything ?
Mouses...On his day he can be one of the best halfbacks in the game, is he worth risking over a million dollars for his signature ???
Regardless of who the halfback is there will be an element of risk accompanying him !

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He isn’t a superstar 7 but he has the perfect style and game that we need. He is an organiser, he is a natural right sided player. Good kicking game. He is so much better than anyone we have.
I have been waiting for 2024. This signing could make 2023 a much more positive season.
Make this happen GUS.
He only did that for a few games tbh.

He’s just so slow that everyone backs off and preempts that he will pass. You can’t be a modern half without being able to take on the line imo

In saying that, he’s better than Kyle but only on a short term deal whilst we develop or look for a longer term option. Kyle will and will always be Barrett’s stain on this team. Not sure we can move forward until he leaves

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’ve literally been waiting for a class 7 and now that one’s available everyone’s having a fit and instead want a reject from the Tigers who won’t be available for half a season anyway and then there’s also the fact that he moves as fast as Gus running down the sideline.
Yep Moses is our man and when his contract finishes hopefully one of our halves from the lower grades will be ready to go