Hasler's poaching promise put to test

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
MANLY patriarch Ken Arthurson has revealed Des Hasler made a promise to him not to poach Manly players as speculation mounts that Kieran Foran has already signed a deal to join Canterbury.

Arthurson spoke out yesterday as the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs continued to prepare for their highly anticipated clash at ANZ Stadium on Friday night, while Hasler has laughed off speculation that he had met Foran last week.

"I'd just like to make it very clear that I've got no objection whatsoever to Des Hasler deciding to go over as a coach. Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions in that regard," Arthurson said.

"I'm not even in dispute with him taking some of the coaching staff with him because I think that's reasonable enough.

"But I would be very, very disappointed if he tried to decimate the club by taking away the players.

"I did say that to him when he left and he told me that wasn't his intention to do that, so I'd be very disappointed if he did that or was even contemplating doing that.

..."I'd be devastated if that happened and I'd be surprised if Des would go ahead and try to get him because Manly developed him in the lower grades. I'd be very upset about that. In fact I'd be upset if Canterbury took any of the Manly players."

It will be the first time the two clubs have met since Hasler soured Manly's grand final celebrations last October by leaving the club five days after the premiership win to link with the Bulldogs. And he took several staff members with him.

The acrimony has continued since amid speculation some Manly stars could be poised to jump ship and head to Belmore, including Foran, who many believe has already signed, and backrower Tony Williams.

Sea Eagles prop Brent Kite said the club's fans would let Hasler know in no uncertain terms how they felt about him at Friday night's game.

"The general feeling is that there is no love lost there," Kite said.

"We've been told to keep a lid on it, but the truth is everyone is excited, and it adds a bit of extra spice to what would otherwise just be a round eight game.

"It's good for the game, it's good for the telly, and it's good for some of the younger guys who've not been involved in some of these bigger games. So it does have a bit of added value."

Friday night's game will be played for the Bullfrog-Arko Cup, in honour of Arthurson and his great mate, Canterbury's legendary administrator, Peter Moore, who died in 2000.

Arthurson also revealed any poaching would go against a longstanding deal between the two men.

"Bullfrog and I always had a handshake agreement that we would never touch our players, and we never ever did," Arthurson said. "It's disappointing to see that not happen these days.

"There was an enormous spirit between the two clubs because of the friendship that Bullfrog and I had and I'm sorry to see that being put to one side."

Before training at Belmore Oval yesterday, Hasler laughed off a rumour that he had met Foran for coffee last week to talk terms about joining the Bulldogs.

The rumour was aired on Sydney radio station Triple M after a cafe owner claimed to have served the pair.

"To think I'd be meeting him over a cappuccino in the middle of Belmore -- I was right here training," Hasler said.

"I don't know anything about it. All that can be said is that those players have to make up their minds what they want to do, and the rest is speculation."

While Hasler may seem unfazed by the speculation linking Foran to the club, there are plenty of Bulldogs players who are off contract this season who would be watching the matter unfold with interest.

Included on that list are eight players listed to take part in Friday night's grudge match.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...mise-put-to-test/story-fnca0von-1226337476154

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
arko, understandable point of view.

but ya gotta get with the times of the game being a business and the reality of what the current salary cap system forces upon clubs

i'd like to see more integrity in the game too, but it is what it is

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They did it in the 80's lol
mmm yes, with parra lol and it's a fair point too

i guess arko is looking at it as the agreement between two men, like he had with bullfrog and bullfrog honoured that agreement, as did arko

he's looking for hasler to do the same, but our comp is a full time professional sport now, it's business. arko does realise that, but he's still holding onto hope that hasler will stick by the old code of your word is your bond. unfortunately, that doesn't exist much anymore, especially in the current state of our sport

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Manly spent years decimating teams like norths, wests and souths. How times have changed. in the early 80's, they took half of wests forward pack and arthurson was the architect behind that...

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
As I read this the tears roll down my cheek. Poor Manly. I really hope we don't announce Foran signing now as it would just be unfair. We should give them a fair go. Let's do it for Ken Arthurson.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Payback's a b1tch Arthurson and if you dont want your players poached then you had better talk to your incompetent management team

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des will not need to do any poaching..... God Greenburg will!! and for the ageing Kite to threaten us on what their (Butthurt) supporters will do at ANZ on Friday weeelll I must say not too much will happen with the 5 supporters they have that will travel to watch their team play.
Win lose or draw they will do nothing!!!

mrVR6exy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Brent Kite said the club's fans would let Hasler know in no uncertain terms how they felt about him at Friday night's game.

how do the butthurt manless fans propose to do this ? by not turning up bahahahaha

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
With all due respect to Arthurson, times have changed. Papers no longer cost 20c, petrol is no longer 30c a litre, referees hardly made any wrong calls, and the prematch conference isn't held at the pub shouting rounds of beer.

When he played for Manly he was a one club player, and even then despite his namesake, his playing history isn't really that great.
FACT: He only played 2 years of NRL (before retiring with injury).
FACT: He scored 7 tries a season over those 2 years (14 in his career).
FACT: He coached for 4 years.

So how exactly does he become a "legend" in rugby league circles as a result?

Haslers career and coaching stats are much better, El Magics stats are much better, even Terry Lamb far surpasses those stats and yet Arthurson is some "god" in terms of the NRL elite.

How??

Anyway he needs to get with the times. Rugby League is a business these days. Quality players = more success = more sponsors = more money for investors.

Who really cares IF PLAYERS WANT TO FOLLOW THEIR COACH ELSEWHERE? Kieran requested and had the clause in his contract. Des Hasler didn't force him to put that clause in and not every player there has it.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
As I read this the tears roll down my cheek. Poor Manly. I really hope we don't announce Foran signing now as it would just be unfair. We should give them a fair go. Let's do it for Ken Arthurson.
o lols

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arthurson never had to fear the Bulldogs in his time in charge. His handshake deal with Bullfrog not to poach each others players was great for both parties.
You know things are in crisis at the Eagles when they drag Arthurson out. Times have changed & the old boy needs to move on!

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Times have changed.

Back then there was loyalty amongst all parties involved.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Arthurson said that the deal was between him and Bullfrog. Well, Mr Arthurson...Bullfrog passed away in 2000, so, your agreement is dead and buried (pardon the pun) now. The agreement was between two people, not two clubs. Whilst Bullfrog was in charge, he could enforce that rule....not anymore!
BTW Mr Arthurson, how did Serdaris and David Gillespie end up at Manly yet they were both Dogs before going to Manly?

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who came up with the Bullfrog - Arko Cup name??? should be "The Poachers Cup" much more exciting, I dare say if this was the trophy introduced 30 years ago then Manly would have won it every year.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Arthurson said that the deal was between him and Bullfrog. Well, Mr Arthurson...Bullfrog passed away in 2000, so, your agreement is dead and buried (pardon the pun) now. The agreement was between two people, not two clubs. Whilst Bullfrog was in charge, he could enforce that rule....not anymore!
BTW Mr Arthurson, how did Serdaris and David Gillespie end up at Manly yet they were both Dogs before going to Manly?
Orford Melbourne, Kite St George, Lyon Eels & I am pretty sure they Tony Williams from another club but cannot remember etc etc.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
nrl is a business, its got to be run as a business, if that means moving players on and bringing new ones in thats how it is. its not just the bulldogs doing it, its every team in the comp............................ build a bridge manly, and get over it

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Orford Melbourne, Kite St George, Lyon Eels & I am pretty sure they Tony Williams from another club but cannot remember etc etc.
Tony Williams from Eels, and I'm pretty sure that Robinson (gone now) came from Raiders. Stewart boys are from Illawarra juniors too. Orford was a Manly junior from memory but didn't get a shot there and went to Storm.

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Foran approaches Hasler...

Hasler "I can't talk to you"
Foran "why
Hasler "I promised Arko"
Foran "but the club is going to sh!t"
Hasler "sorry mate"
Foran "I can't be the player I want to be there"
Hasler "sorry mate"

Yeah ok Ken!! lol

If a player wants to leave, it is because it is what they think is best for them. Not because a gun was forced to their head.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tony Williams from Eels, and I'm pretty sure that Robinson (gone now) came from Raiders. Stewart boys are from Illawarra juniors too. Orford was a Manly junior from memory but didn't get a shot there and went to Storm.
XR6ST...... thank you for correcting me!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.