Hasler to name debutant Matt Frawley for clash with Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Des Hasler to name debutant halfback Matt Frawley for huge clash with Broncos
EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
March 27, 2017 7:00pm
Subscriber only
CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler is poised to gamble on an unknown halfback on debut for Thursday night’s massive match against Brisbane at ANZ Stadium.

Under pressure after last weekend’s horrendous 36-0 loss the Manly, Hasler has Matt Frawley, 22, pencilled in for a game in which Bulldogs must rebound — or face further intense scrutiny.

Frawley has played 84 matches in the NSW Cup at two clubs — but never played an NRL game.

Frawley played his junior football for Belconnen United in Canberra but has spent the past two years at Canterbury.

Hasler has several options and Frawley’s selection isn’t guaranteed but it is understood he is a prime candidate to replace regular halfback Moses Mbye, who has copped a one-match suspension for a shoulder charge on Manly forward Curtis Sironen.

Frawley has plenty of support at the Bulldogs with teammates adamant the youngster wouldn’t be overawed in such a big match.

It is unknown just yet whether Hasler would start candidate Frawley alongside Josh Reynolds or bring him off the bench.

Hasler will name his side on Tuesday afternoon.

Matt Frawley looks set for a huge debut against Brisbane. Photo: Mathew Farrell
Frawley made headlines in 2013 when he was sidelined for three months following a sickening shoulder charge during a Holden Cup game. He was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from bruising on the brain.

Then then 18-years-old spent two nights in Canberra hospital’s neurology ward after suffering convulsions on the ground.

Having refocused and re-energised his career, Frawley is now ready for the game of his life.

The Bulldogs desperately need some spark after a lethargic performance last week — and Frawley could be just the man to deliver it.

Frawley played 36 NYC games for Canberra in 2013 and 2014 and one NSW Cup game for Mounties. He moved to Canterbury is 2015 and has played 48 NSW Cup games.

While playing with Canberra, Frawley worked in a retail store.

Manly devour Bulldogs
He told the Bulldogs website: “My first job was in retail, selling clothes. Away from football, I like to spend time with my family and friends.”

Canterbury players have come under fire this week for their substandard effort against Manly. The big-name Dogs pack simply didn’t aim up, prompting former Canterbury star Michael Hagan to declare: “The players aren’t looking after him. Des is arguably the most loyal coach in the game to his players. I don’t know that that is being repaid by his players, based on how they played on Sunday. Des signed them all and got the players there so they just have to aim up.”

Brisbane will start red-hot favourites but punters and critics are more than aware about the perils of dismissing a Bulldogs side under-siege.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gamble.....he has only promoted him into the first grade side due to Mybe's suspension.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope the forwards muscle up this next game otherwise we will have potentially another halfback to lose confidence.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would be a headline if he actually promoted him... Des only makes changes due to injury or suspension the fuckwit

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Lewis looked ok the other day (just my opinion)
It won't be a walk in the park for who ever has to step up,good luck

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Frawley to Des : how should i play coach?

Des : hold the ball and act dumb, even if you are not dumb now but eventually you will get there just like your predecessors, dont even think about kicking the ball or try to do anything fancy which may help improve your game and make you learn on the job, you can only kick towards corey oates cos he has the height advantage over our winger , throw hospital passes and always remember....... TOLMAN ON 4TH!!!

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Feel sorry for the kid, what a time to get your first grade call up.
He has nothing to lose, I reckon the fact we are supposed to have a cricket score put on us actually takes some of the pressure off him. Most people will be expecting nothing, anything above that will be a bonus. Already his kicking game is better than the 2 duds playing in the halves at the moment.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman on the 4th,what a tactic
The boys practice it all week,good for his stats

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frawley to Des : how should i play coach?

Des : hold the ball and act dumb, even if you are not dumb now but eventually you will get there just like your predecessors, dont even think about kicking the ball or try to do anything fancy which may help improve your game and make you learn on the job, you can only kick towards corey oates cos he has the height advantage over our winger , throw hospital passes and always remember....... TOLMAN ON 4TH!!!
I honestly thought we were going to change to Klemmer on the 4th this season

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just want someone to play at 7 that can kick and pass. Is it that hard to find someone with that capability in first grade?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly thought we were going to change to Klemmer on the 4th this season
You must be crazy,what were you thinking
No need to change such a well drilled play with excellent results
Shame on you

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want someone to play at 7 that can kick and pass. Is it that hard to find someone with that capability in first grade?
It is when you want to implement Des ball..... which tries to negate those particular skills

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
haha that means we resign des hasler on a 5M a year contract

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It is when you want to implement Des ball..... which tries to negate those particular skills
I've seen the kicking capabilities of Mbye and Reynolds. With or without Desball they're still way behind on the skill level of what's expected of a basic halfback or 5/8.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha that means we resign des hasler on a 5M a year contract
I've seen the kicking capabilities of Mbye and Reynolds. With or without Desball they're still way behind on the skill level of what's expected of a basic halfback or 5/8.
Yes, mybe has lost complete confidence & Reynolds is now only a bench Or reserve grade player now. The team needs to build for the future. Last season was evident of that.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

if you keep a bird in a small cage for years, it too will forget how to fly.

Ennis had a horrible kicking game at dogs, at sharks he was setting up trys with his kicks.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if you keep a bird in a small cage for years, it too will forget how to fly.

Ennis had a horrible kicking game at dogs, at sharks he was setting up trys with his kicks.
You're way too nice! We're talking about a 5/8 that's now been in first grade for 7 years and a Halfback that's getting paid more than probably anyone else in the team and we're comparing them to birds being stuck in a cage!? They get paid bloody decent coin because supposedly their worth it. They train with and without the coach daily. I can't accept that they can't put up a bomb or pass left to right because they've been skillfully suffocated.

Status
Not open for further replies.