Hasler-led Bulldogs are Des-tined to fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who is this Patrick Sills?? apprentice Journo lol never heard of him until a few weeks ago where he had a go at the Bulldogs in general, never has anything nice to say via his outlet "The Roar" lol
how respected in the world of journalism is this bloke? anyone know??

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler has made the finals 12 of his 13 years as an NRL coach
Awarded Best coach in the world in '08 and 11'

And Dally M coach of the year in 2012.

Since taking over the dogs he has taken them to grand finals in half the years he has coached.

Apparently that isnt good enough for us fans?
Don't care what he has done with different rosters. He has currently failed in the most important areas with our club the last few years and that in itself is reason to start exploring other options.

Take the knee pads off and take a deep breath, you may see things differently up here.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't care what he has done with different rosters. He has currently failed in the most important areas with our club the last few years and that in itself is reason to start exploring other options.

Take the knee pads off and take a deep breath, you may see things differently up here.
How has he failed ?

He has taken us to the finals in all five years and the big one in two. That's very inpressive.

I sometimes think people forget that winning an Nrl premiership isn't like finally being able to push 100 kilos on the bench press. Where hard work and smart planning will get you there....

It's more like a competitive lucky dip.

We are one of 16 teams with 14 other teams all with realistic chances and believing that they too can win the big one. That's a 6.5% chance of winning and an 8.5% chance of making the grand final and we have done incredibly well over the last half a decade.

We could very very easily spiral to the bottom with a different coach.

Just like people may hate Robert Mugabe, but they tolerate him because they fear the alternative is worse....
Only in this analogy Robert Mugabe has been incredibly successful

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"What do you think is the best option for the Dogs in 2017? Who would you like to see coaching the Belmore-based club?"

I'm guessing the article is a little old as Des is already confirmed for at least 2017.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How has he failed ?

He has taken us to the finals in all five years and the big one in two. That's very inpressive.

I sometimes think people forget that winning an Nrl premiership isn't like finally being able to push 100 kilos on the bench press. Where hard work and smart planning will get you there....

It's more like a competitive lucky dip.

We are one of 16 teams with 14 other teams all with realistic chances and believing that they too can win the big one. That's a 6.5% chance of winning and an 8.5% chance of making the grand final and we have done incredibly well over the last half a decade.

We could very very easily spiral to the bottom with a different coach.

Just like people may hate Robert Mugabe, but they tolerate him because they fear the alternative is worse....
Only in this analogy Robert Mugabe has been incredibly successful
You talk up hasler because of his stats at the bulldogs but you put flanno who just won a comp at 8th behind Taylor in your list of top coaches.

You're a dead set muppet, I reckon I know more about the dogs then you and I fucking don't even support the team.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des has won two grand finals at Manly, and his record of taking teams to the finals every year is top notch, but whispers began that Hasler might be on his way out.

1. The first bit was at Manly and next season it will be six years ago, not at the Bulldogs and not now.
2. The first grand final the Bulldogs played under Hasler's watch was against the Storm. We only got there thanks to some very fortuitous wins and losses by other teams and during the game we never had a chance of winning it. The one against Souths? We started the game with Hodko and Morris carrying serious knee injuries; so with only eleven fit players we were already flogging a dead horse. The other semis? We limped in and were knocked out.

‘he’s ruined the attack’ and ‘he’s killing the club culture’.

1. The first bit: Any coach who uses his prop forwards as left and right first receivers (and Tolman can't throw a pass) has already lost the plot. Was Hasler just going to leave our halves in the boot like spare tyres?
2. Unfit forwards, halves not allowed to play like halves, spare parts for outside backs and a part time fullback most looking like they don't give a shit what happens on the field. Sorry... the culture is already dead.

While Hasler is still here its RIP bulldogs.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
What I don't like is the fact our team and roster has gone backwards under Hasler while we have key players in their prime.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You talk up hasler because of his stats at the bulldogs but you put flanno who just won a comp at 8th behind Taylor in your list of top coaches.

You're a dead set muppet, I reckon I know more about the dogs then you and I fucking don't even support the team.
ok lets go to town.
But I'll warn you beforehand you are dealing with one of the smartest members of the Kennel you'll ever talk too.
You have been forewarned.

Firstly,
When rating a coach, you dont talk about results on their own. It is a big component, yes. However theres more than just beef that makes a meat pie.

The biggest slice is circumstance.
What roster do you inherit?
What player or official trauma do you go through?
Do you hold the squad together?
This is where Flanno, Des and Arthur are successes and where Taylor, who has a brilliant football mind, falters.

The reason why Flanagan isnt higher is he is a relatively rookie doesnt have the innate developed footballing nouse as those above him.
The injecting cronulla players with illegal drugs is also a grave error on his part.
What he does have though, is the backing of the players and comraderie. That a massive slice, And dont get me wrong, he is an excellent coach, 7 is an achievement.
His gameplans have faltered at times, but hes inherited an excellent forward pack, has a club with pulling power being situated on a beach, and was lucky to nab maloney.

Have you ever visited a site called Leagueunlimited.com?

They have had a long running 'Sack Flanno' thread. People were as harsh on him as they are here with Des, and look what he did.

Desmond is high because he has ALWAYS had results. He has also demonstrated the ability to keep his playing squad together when Manly were under attack from all angles at the turn of the decade.
\He has been ingenious with his sports science techniques and creative game plans.
He demonstrates decent pulling power, as people want to follow him, and get contracts that are linked to him.

If we were rankling the coaches purely on football brains, Stuart would top this list and Taylor would be much higher.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ok lets go to town.
But I'll warn you beforehand you are dealing with one of the smartest members of the Kennel you'll ever talk too.
You have been forewarned.

Firstly,
When rating a coach, you dont talk about results on their own. It is a big component, yes. However theres more than just beef that makes a meat pie.

The biggest slice is circumstance.
What roster do you inherit?
What player or official trauma do you go through?
Do you hold the squad together?
This is where Flanno, Des and Arthur are successes and where Taylor, who has a brilliant football mind, falters.

The reason why Flanagan isnt higher is he is a relatively rookie doesnt have the innate developed footballing nouse as those above him.
The injecting cronulla players with illegal drugs is also a grave error on his part.
What he does have though, is the backing of the players and comraderie. That a massive slice, And dont get me wrong, he is an excellent coach, 7 is an achievement.
His gameplans have faltered at times, but hes inherited an excellent forward pack, has a club with pulling power being situated on a beach, and was lucky to nab maloney.

Have you ever visited a site called Leagueunlimited.com?

They have had a long running 'Sack Flanno' thread. People were as harsh on him as they are here with Des, and look what he did.

Desmond is high because he has ALWAYS had results. He has also demonstrated the ability to keep his playing squad together when Manly were under attack from all angles at the turn of the decade.
\He has been ingenious with his sports science techniques and creative game plans.
He demonstrates decent pulling power, as people want to follow him, and get contracts that are linked to him.

If we were rankling the coaches purely on football brains, Stuart would top this list and Taylor would be much higher.
L O fucking L

Inherited an excellent forward pack? Hahaha you fucking dope the only forward in our pack pre flanno days is gallen. Every single other member of our forward pack was recruited by him.

I'm not even going to worry about the rest of your dribble.

Don't you dare claim to be one of the smartest posters on here because you're so far from it. You're the newcastle knights of posters

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
L O fucking L

Inherited an excellent forward pack? Hahaha you fucking dope the only forward in our pack pre flanno days is gallen. Every single other member of our forward pack was recruited by him.

I'm not even going to worry about the rest of your dribble.

Don't you dare claim to be one of the smartest posters on here because you're so far from it. You're the newcastle knights of posters

I know more about Souths than anyone, an on par with other kennel members knowledge of the dogs and i know more about the sharks than you.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know more about Souths than anyone, an on par with other kennel members knowledge of the dogs and i know more about the sharks than you.
Oh do you now?

Tell me more about this forward pack flanno inherited?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh do you now?

Tell me more about this forward pack flanno inherited?
yeah lets do this bro.

This is the sharks pack 2010.

GALLEN -GENUINE SUPERSTAR
Anthony Tupou - BIG MONEY STAR AT THE TIME
Kade Snowden - CONSIDERED THE BEST NSW PROP AT THE TIME
John Morris -Solid match aware hooker
Luke Douglas -IRONMAN AT HIS PEAK. NEVER MISSED A GAME
Jayson Bukuya -ABOVE AVERAGE FORWARD
Siosaia Vave -GOOD SOLID FIRST GRADER

I wont even mention that the following year Flanno was gifted the discarded Fifita, heighington and Gibbs from the tigers. That was Sheens mistake and cronullas luck.

Now the thing is when you have a good forward pack, is when they do drop off, you have that spot thats reserved for other stars.

In a canterbury context, if graham drops off, we have 600k to look for a 600k superstar forward.

Cronulla just replaed like for like, and over the next few years developed their backline, gifted barba etc.

This is not a slag on cronulla at all. Flannos a good coach so if you looking for a diss youve come to the wrong guy. Cronulla are my third fav team and i started supporting them this year once i realised souths and the dogs were cooked.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Des is a very good coach but i think he's getting a bit predictable and conservative these days, i don't fear him as i did as an opposition coach years ago even though i still rate him highly, maybe he is a bit stale at the dogs atm?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Des is a very good coach but i think he's getting a bit predictable and conservative these days, i don't fear him as i did as an opposition coach years ago even though i still rate him highly, maybe he is a bit stale at the dogs atm?
For me, this is the only real question.

A great coach? Not in doubt.
Has he ran his course and is past his expiry date? Million dollar question.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant see Des staying longer then 2017. He has not signed any player of note, sure he signed a few rookies but nothing to cheer about. Hes under fire because the slow boring brand of football they dish up on a weekly basis. I cant see how he is all of a sudden going to change the game plan with our team. The forwards on theyre day can match ang forward pack but we lack a dominent halfback. When fatigue sets in come round 1 amd 2 next year they will slip back into the style of play that they have been olaying for past few years. I think we needed to sign foran or another half in that mold that can change it up and bring a bit of life into the team. No doubt the team can perform just needed a fresh spark to bring the change.
We havnt made any significant signings since Des arrived. Bmoz only because his brother is here. If Des wasnt so stubborn and conceded he needed change he should of signed Sezar last year when he came out and said he wanted to return.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ahhh no u don't
Don't embarrass us plz or insult our intelligence

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Dea pay or J Holbrook as coach. Potter or Hagan to manage all the club coaching . From sg ball to 1st grade. And bring back Mark hughes as recruiter and Graham to run the board. Get rid of the bloody cameras and buy bloody treadmills.

Status
Not open for further replies.