Hasler: Dogs didn't handle the Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Chris Kennedy*, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Sun 13th September, 09:00AM

Canterbury coach Des Hasler said his side didn't manage the pressure of an intense elimination final well and should have put a spirited Dragons side away earlier.

Hasler though made sure to praise the Dragons for a "gallant" performance that saw them hit the lead in the 76th minute despite being without a playmaker and back-rower due to injury.

"We probably should have put the game away a couple of times," Hasler said after the 11-10 golden point win that was only sealed with a Josh Reynolds field goal after a Gareth Widdop put an attempted 40/20 kick out on the full.

"I'll give St George a rap, I thought they were pretty gallant the way they played tonight. At the same time our boys also never gave up the fight, they played right to the death and we fight again."

After what was a fairly scrappy effort – especially in the first half – Hasler conceded his side didn't manage its possession well and gave themselves too much defending to do.

"We just need to adjust. To keep putting that amount of pressure on your defence, we need to manage what we do when we've got the ball. We were probably just a little bit jittery," he said.

"We didn't even get through our first set but we can address those things, we have a six-day turnaround I believe. We'll get the injuries right, fix up the bruises and get ready for the Roosters [at Allianz Stadium next Friday night]."

Hasler will be sweating on the availability of key forwards Frank Pritchard and Sam Kasiano, who are each on report for a rough challenge on Gareth Widdop after the Dragons playmaker dived on a loose ball after Kasiano charged down a field goal attempt late in regulation time.

Pritchard's knees came into contact with Widdop's back while Kasiano was on report for contacting Widdop's head in the tackle.

Hasler was not forthcoming on his expectations for the pair. "We've just got to wait and see," he said.

Dogs skipper James Graham said the intense affair definitely felt like finals.

"Both teams showed a lot of desperation and that's what it's about, you wouldn't expect any less," Graham said.

"I was expecting it to be close. I got what I expected I guess."

Despite the Bulldogs facing an uphill battle to reclaim the lead in the final couple of minutes before a Josh Morris line break set the stage for their comeback, Graham said he never thought they were out of the fight.

"With a couple of minutes left we back ourselves to at least throw something at them, we did, we came up with a try, missed a goal and they got a penalty," he said.

"It's why we love rugby league isn't it, the twists and turns and rollercoasters.

"Fortunately for us we get off the ride and we get to strap in again next week."

This article first appeared on NRL.com

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2015/09/13/hasler_dogs_didn_t_h.html

Watch the Press Confreence:

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2015/09/12/press_conference_fin.html

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Being in the finals since 2012, 2 GFs, cant handle the pressure of a match against a mediocre team that we were supposed to flog.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mosses was non existent he needs to step up

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think the main issue with the halves is their lack of playing together as a halves combo. You can count the games they played as the halves combo on 1 hand, and thats not ideal going into the finals. Sure it was great we had a player like Reynolds to come in to replace Hod, halves can be hard to replace, but they need more time together to be their best. If we can go deep into the finals with this new pairing, it will auger well for next year, where they will get much more time together to get in sync.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the main issue with the halves is their lack of playing together as a halves combo. You can count the games they played as the halves combo on 1 hand, and thats not ideal going into the finals. Sure it was great we had a player like Reynolds to come in to replace Hod, halves can be hard to replace, but they need more time together to be their best. If we can go deep into the finals with this new pairing, it will auger well for next year, where they will get much more time together to get in sync.
I will say one thing, in the defence of our halves, the dragons were very good in defence last night,
As good as a Broncos or roosters,
I was more disappointed that our team didn't dominate the dragons more giving our halves more opotunity to score more points,

I think we need to improve our completion rates and obtain better field position for longer periods of the game,mother our halves will have half a chance,

If we totally dominated the game and our halves only delivered 11 points, then I'd point the finger at them,

At the moment we miss out on all the 50/50 calls, and that keeps us on the back foot, combined with that our own errors are crushing our momentum,
Des is right, we hold the ball, fix our discipline and the rest will take care of itself,

The worry for me is, it's something we haven't been able to fix in 3 years,
Can't see us fixing it now, despite all the player interviews and newspaper articles talking us up,
Talk is cheap,

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
The problem with our halves is that they cant organize anything, and cant kick to save their life. now without these two things your not much of a half.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What the halves did in the lead up to our second try is what they need to do more of. They seem capable of that. Anything more seems beyond them.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The problem with our halves is that they cant organize anything, and cant kick to save their life. now without these two things your not much of a half.
Our halfs can't play there game cause our forwards dominate the ball that's the game plan, it's been like this for 3years now no matter what half plays for us they wont be able to play there game

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Our halfs can't play there game cause our forwards dominate the ball that's the game plan, it's been like this for 3years now no matter what half plays for us they wont be able to play there game
That's a good point and something we should all remember. Also as someone else pointed out, we have two 5/8's and no real halfback.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
You know why that is? its because the cant organize or kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.