Opinion Has the NRLol shot itself in the foot?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As far as I can see the NRLol's decision to not only add a 17th team, but also increase the salary cap by more then $2M at the very same time, has crippled the competition, and will do so for for at least a couple of years! Add to this that it was done right after Covid where there were no active junior league competitions, starving youngsters of the chance to train and progress towards NRLo standard, and we have a massive problem for the game, and an administration, who in my opinion. Look like fucking ameteurs!!!!
The sudden massive cap rise has given clubs with established teams the finances to upgrade and hold on to their stars, whilst the Dolphins were given a war chest to go out and sign any available talent. This means that the struggling clubs are left with the teams they have, and will most likely not change all that much over the next few years, whilst the powerful clubs with proven rosters will maintain their places.
I know the Tigers and Bulldogs were able to recruit some stars for this year, but both clubs clearly need more talent, and there's none available.
Some decent teams have declined this year, such as the Eels, Rorters, Sarks and probably Soufs, and some teams have improved like the Warriors and maybe Newcastle, but is anyone really all that surprised by how the season has unfolded otherwise?
Ask yourself this, had the NRLol held off on adding another team for a few more years so that the junior league nurseries could regroup and get themselves back on track, and had the salary cap been slowly increased year after year, would the NRLol not be in a much better position then it currently is??
I understand the players association pushed for the cap increase, but had the administration actually understood the game properly, and understood what it needed, surely they would have made a decision in the best interests of the game, and not just the players???
Add to this all of the stupid rule changes, inept referees, merchandise pricing, club membership and game day ticket prices, what are the NRLol doing to benefit the game and give the fans what they want??!!

Anyways, rant over. Keen to hear peoples opinions on the 2 main points.

Mal_Z

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that it's stretched the talent pool and allowed teams to pay way overs to pull some stars, but generally the comp has been pretty competitive this year. The league will be forced to adjust and it will sort itself out

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mahoney, Kikau, Burton, JAC came from top teams and they have all gone backwards, nothing to do with the salary cap or the 17th team

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with everything but I only care because the bulldogs are effected. I wouldnt give a fck about any other club if we were on top. Dib and the Andersons are collectively to blame for where we are not the NRL

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mahoney, Kikau, Burton, JAC came from top teams and they have all gone backwards, nothing to do with the salary cap or the 17th team
Agree, they come they decline , some leave, they become better players… things will start to change when the players wearing blue and white unite as a team. The dynamic has a lot to do with it!! If it works you get teams like the panthers,broncos and warriors.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The timing was correct. If Bennett wasn’t available they would have waited.

They had to react because hardly any top coaches with the resume of Bennett become available. Bennett had a full year off to prep for his signings so it was the perfect moment.

QLD is a very close 2nd to NSW for Rugby League heartland. So having another team in QLD makes sense. Also Broncos have been shit for quite a few years until Walters & Ikin fixed the mess. Broncos with the exception of those years are a powerhouse club.

A lot of people on here were saying that Broncos need more competition in QLD and that is happening now with Bennett raiding their roster.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In my opinion I don’t think it matters what changes the NRL makes. The top clubs have their front offices in order, they make smart decisions either way. The top clubs adapted to the speeding up rule changes because they had the best coaching staff, etc.

How many years have people been thinking the Storm would drop off? They are too well run, shrewd signings, succession planning, player development. Panthers are another team, looking extremely well run. Having long term coaches is vital to success.

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t Dolphins already know their replacement for Bennett?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe the 2 state of NSW and QLD can no longer supply enough quality talent for the NRL.

What's the point of having a team in Melbourne if they havent produced more than 1 junior in almost more than 2 decades of existence?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a bulldogs related thread mate. Hence its in rugby league general. Not justifying the Bulldogs bad form, simply stating the inability of Vlandys to run the game.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with everything but I only care because the bulldogs are effected. I wouldnt give a fck about any other club if we were on top. Dib and the Andersons are collectively to blame for where we are not the NRL
Fair enough. But im not trying to make excuses for how we are travelling. We are terrible in almost every capacity. But the NRLol have fucked the game, and it will stagnate for years to come until junior nurseries can get back to where they should be and start producing more quality players. I mean, how fucking inept is it to add another team right after covid shut the game down for years!! It's simply greed on Vlandys behalf.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the bulldogs were a strong team this thread wouldn’t happen. Stop crying. Our club needs to do better top to bottom

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The timing was correct. If Bennett wasn’t available they would have waited.

They had to react because hardly any top coaches with the resume of Bennett become available. Bennett had a full year off to prep for his signings so it was the perfect moment.

QLD is a very close 2nd to NSW for Rugby League heartland. So having another team in QLD makes sense. Also Broncos have been shit for quite a few years until Walters & Ikin fixed the mess. Broncos with the exception of those years are a powerhouse club.

A lot of people on here were saying that Broncos need more competition in QLD and that is happening now with Bennett raiding their roster.
How can you say the timing is correct, just because Bennett was available? Bit of a stretch. Quality coach, but the game is more important. Sure, there should be another QLD team, but they should have been introduced in 2025 or 2026. Maybe even later.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the bulldogs were a strong team this thread wouldn’t happen. Stop crying. Our club needs to do better top to bottom
Crying? This thread has nothing to do with the Bulldogs. Did you even read the thread?? This is why it's posted in rugby league general dickhead.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stop blaming the league
Im not blaming the league because we suck you idiot. I'm blaming the league for doing what they have done at the wrong time. Can you even read? All that sushi dolphin dick you been eating must have been spoiled. 1 from their last 11 too by the way. Even the Bulldogs have been better then that.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crying? This thread has nothing to do with the Bulldogs. Did you even read the thread?? This is why it's posted in rugby league general dickhead.
Post it wherever the fuck u want mate. Again this thread doesnt exist by u if we were a strong side inside the 8

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe the 2 state of NSW and QLD can no longer supply enough quality talent for the NRL.

What's the point of having a team in Melbourne if they havent produced more than 1 junior in almost more than 2 decades of existence?
Couldn't agree more!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually castle was the main one

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Actually castle was the main one
Wasn’t castle appointed under divs watch? Beside the point, we are fcked because of decisions our front office made not because of the nrl